Fiat Assist- Fault Codes (1 Viewer)

Aug 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Sun Living S70 SC
You might be aware of this, I wasn’t!
Had an engine warning light come on, phoned Fiat Assist, the technician who turned up plugged his tester in and gave me the fault codes. He also e mailed me a report. It illustrated a NOX sensor fault.
He asked me if I wanted him to clear the fault, I did.
I phoned Adam Morey ( who were superb) and since I was leaving the UK on Sunday 17th March, said they could fit it in today.
Close on 100 miles from where I live but Fiat Professional Slough couldn’t deal with it in time.
The technician at the garage explained he could not find a fault, it had been cleared, Apparently there is no history recorded. They could not use the fault codes from the mobile Fiat Assist guy because for warranty work the fault has to be recorded on their system.
Basically if no fault showing they can’t repair, makes sense.
The lesson? Do not let the Fiat Assist guy clear the fault. His plug in system might not be the same as the Fiat Main Agent. The report I had was not sufficient for them to undertake any work.
The Technician ( admirable bloke, very patient when dealing with an idiot!) explained the fault might actually not re appear and if it did I was ok to drive unless warning light was flashing.
It was my ignorance, I thought there would be a “ memory” still lesson learnt.

OP
OP
B
Aug 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Sun Living S70 SC
Just an update to this story. I am currently sitting in a Fiat Professional ( Fiat Main Dealer) in Fethiye.
We drove to Turkey, left UK end of March. Approx 2,500 miles and no warning light!!
I was elated.
Last week took the motorhome out for a spin, the engine management light came on.
As we are here until the end of May decided to take it to the main dealer.
Just turned up to the garage yesterday, they checked the readings and confirmed Nox Sensor faulty.
Said they would check if they had one but suggested I wait for a phone call.
Phoned me yesterday afternoon, appointment made for today.
Pretty efficient service.
They just came up to see me with the sensor in their hands. Explained that water has got into the push fit connection and there is oxidisation on terminals.
They showed me the part number but said this part number is not in Turkey! I do recall Adams Morey telling me there were three different types of sensor, I had to have this particular one!
They will clean it up and believe there is a 90% chance it will be ok!
I asked was it a design fault that water somehow got into a water sensitive joint and what could be done to prevent it in the future. The only thing they could suggest is that the technician will put sealant around it. They seemed pretty confident but nothing I can do anyway.
They confirmed I can drive it even if light comes on but might suffer on diesel consumption.
How can a manufacturer have a design which does not shield electrical components from water ingress?
Surely some sort of shield could be designed or the joints made waterproof? Manufacturers must have sorted this sort of problem out on motor bikes.
Service has been superb but you can imagine my frustration with Fiat.
2022 model, done about 12,000 miles.

OP
OP
B
Aug 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Sun Living S70 SC
No Ablue warnings, had the warning to fill just before we came away and it took 10 litres as it normally does, adblue light went out.
Apparently these Nox sensors measure the nasties in the exhaust and a squirt of adblue delivered to the CAT.
That’s what I understand!!!! I would point out I’d never even heard of all this marlarky until I got a motorhome and joined Motorhomefun.
I had a chat with the service manager and told him some people were bypassing the Adblue system, he told me many people were doing it in Turkey as well!
The technician suddenly stated “ Adblu cop” loosely translated Adblu rubbish!
Problem and opinion obviously world wide.
So where am I? I now know the part number and have a photo. The sensor is under the passenger side front of the Moho, great place to put it without a cowl, just where all the wet will splash up from the road!
Cost me 1200 Turkish liras about £30.
Fiat will be hearing from me!!!!!

May 29, 2021
Kotka, Finland
Funster No
MH
Hymer Van
Take it easy. There are vans and cars around with this exact connector and they usually work. There are probably hundreds of every kind of connectors in an even semi-modern car and they mostly work. There are millions of vehicles in the world and they usually work. But sometimes things just go wrong and now it was your turn.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back