Fiamma Carry-Bike 200 DJ Ducato ....... Covers NOT allowed???? (1 Viewer)

Apr 11, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Just fitted the above rack (2023 version) to my ducato PVC, at the very end of the fitting instructions it mentions amongst all the do's and don'ts "Bike covers are NOT allowed with this rack" Didn't see this until I fitted it.
I also bought the Fiamma Bike Cover for 2-3 Bikes to go with it, no where on the websites does it mention covers can't be used! I've not opened the box to the cover as it may have to be returned.
To keep the e bikes under 35kgs and to make them less attractive to thieves I will strip them down a bit which leaves the battery connections opened to the elements without a cover.

Anyone got around this problem?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Thats a load of rubbish just use it and tape a plastic bag such as a small food freezer bag over the battery connections.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Unusual April's fool ... Or is it? šŸ¤”

OP
OP
vanVhome
Apr 11, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Wish it was an April fools šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

9E0C86DF-DDF6-4C3A-8873-B4B66225DCD6.jpeg

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Just looked at the instructions online and yes you shouldn't be using a cover.

I wonder if there is a likelihood a cover would obstruct view of lights on the van? Alternatively is there a risk of some sort of wind / suction effect that increases loading on the carrier and fixings? Would be good to know the reasoning given most want a cover on bikes, if only to hide how good they are from toerags, as well as protection from the elements.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
vanVhome
Apr 11, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Just looked at the instructions online and yes you shouldn't be using a cover.

I wonder if there is a likelihood a cover would obstruct view of lights on the van? Alternatively is there a risk of some sort of wind / suction effect that increases loading on the carrier and fixings? Would be good to know the reasoning given most want a cover on bikes, if only to hide how good they are from toerags, as well as protection from the elements.
If I had it fitted by a dealer I would never have read the manual and wouldn't know.

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Could it have something to with accelerating corrosion . and warranty issues.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If I had it fitted by a dealer I would never have read the manual and wouldn't know.
I agree however common sense should tell you once you fitted the cover that you're blocking the lights, you could cut the cover down or fit it so that the wheels over the lights are uncovered I suppose.

OP
OP
vanVhome
Apr 11, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
I agree however common sense should tell you once you fitted the cover that you're blocking the lights, you could cut the cover down or fit it so that the wheels over the lights are uncovered I suppose.
On the 2 lower settings the lightboard must be used but at the higher level (which I've set it) the wheels are above the lights. Also if a lightboard was used it still says the rack can't have a cover. I might send Fiamma an email

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Not a clue what they are on about..Just put the cover on.BUSBY.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Read the bit below about having to use a reg plate with lights, it's because a cover will block the lights as KF said.
You just put a set of trailer lights at a lower level.
F2C1FE49-2C37-4E2A-9273-C8B63FB43CE0.jpeg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
On the 2 lower settings the lightboard must be used but at the higher level (which I've set it) the wheels are above the lights. Also if a lightboard was used it still says the rack can't have a cover. I might send Fiamma an email
So if you won't be blocking the lights I'm at a loss as to why there's an issue? Just use a cover.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Looking at the instruction manual (post #4) is the paragraph really an extension of the previous one that talks about preventing the operation of windscreen wipers. This implies there are windows fitted. Would the use of a bike cover block any rear view, even though already limited by the bikes, completely. The use of covers may only be barred where there are windows in the doors.

OP
OP
vanVhome
Apr 11, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Thanks for your input everyone, I'm definitely over thinking things due to what I thought is/was printed - so cover on, lights not obscured, no problems!

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Thanks for your input everyone, I'm definitely over thinking things due to what I thought is/was printed - so cover on, lights not obscured, no problems!
Yup, that is what you should do.

I was pulled over on the M4 a few years back.
I had two bikes on the back
The police were not that concerned that the number plate was obscured.
But they were concerned that the lights were not fully visible.
I was only allowed to proceed once I had removed both front and rear wheels from both bikes.

Next time I fitted a light & numberplate board.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back