Ferry to Greece (1 Viewer)

Jul 11, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi
We are planning to go to Greece in September. We normally go from Ancona but we are having difficulty booking. it's the same van as before 7mts long 3mts height. It's the height which seems to be the problem with one company saying we must book as freight. Any info on how you got to Greece and which companies take a 3mt high motorhome would be helpful.
The best option is to be able to sleep in your own van. Do they allow it anymore?
Thanks Derek

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
You might struggle to get a crossing this year, camping on deck ends October and is very popular, I would give Viamare a ring as they will know if there is any spare space. Height shouldn't be a problem and never heard of having to book as freight, i've done that crossing many times.
If you're not too bothered about camping on deck then you might get a crossing with Minoan with a cabin thrown in and your van plugged in to ships electrics called 'camping all inclusive', once again try Viamare for that option as well...

The other option might be to get a crossing further down Italy from Bari but I have no experience of that crossing.

Good luck.

020 8206 3420

OP
OP
D
Jul 11, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi
Thanks for the information. I have managed with some translation difficulties over the phone to book with Anek Superfast. Very expensive but reached that stage in our lives,"what the hell"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
You might struggle to get a crossing this year, camping on deck ends October and is very popular, I would give Viamare a ring as they will know if there is any spare space. Height shouldn't be a problem and never heard of having to book as freight, i've done that crossing many times.
If you're not too bothered about camping on deck then you might get a crossing with Minoan with a cabin thrown in and your van plugged in to ships electrics called 'camping all inclusive', once again try Viamare for that option as well...

The other option might be to get a crossing further down Italy from Bari but I have no experience of that crossing.

Good luck.

020 8206 3420

I would have written almost word for word what pjay wrote there.
Hi
Thanks for the information. I have managed with some translation difficulties over the phone to book with Anek Superfast. Very expensive but reached that stage in our lives,"what the hell"

You were lucky to get a reservation this late. Is it 'camping on deck'? If so, extremely lucky - we booked ours back in Dec as soon as bookings opened.

In future I suggest always use ViaMare, because they can do things not possible on-line due to their close relations with the ferry companies, e.g. there was only 6m remaining showing on the website, they phoned Anek and got our 7m MH on. We have also changed dates via them with no hassle - just hand in old tickets at check-in. All First Class service and same price - they are paid commission by the ferry company not the client.

Jun 20, 2011
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2015
I recommend Viamare as well, they are extremely helpful and during COVID they were brilliant. I wouldn’t use anybody else.

Clankie

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built Majestic 125
Exp
Bari to Patras with Anek Superfast, camping on deck with hookup, fantastic. Key to go into bar/restaurant and shops. Also loos and showeres by accomm door. I’m 6.5m x 3m high.
Wish Brittany Ferries did camping on deck👍👍

Oct 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Not yet, but looking
I’m travelling in our Hymer B534 next month. Anek Superfast. Bari to Igoumenitsa. Camping Onboard. All booked through Viamare. UK agent for most of the Greek ferry operators.

Laughing Gravy

Free Member
Feb 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
Exp
Since 2019
Hya LouthMick. Couldn’t see Bari to Igoumenitsa on the Viamare website, only Bari to Sami. Did you call them to arrange to that ?

BigPaul

Free Member
Jan 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
hymer
Hi
We are planning to go to Greece in September. We normally go from Ancona but we are having difficulty booking. it's the same van as before 7mts long 3mts height. It's the height which seems to be the problem with one company saying we must book as freight. Any info on how you got to Greece and which companies take a 3mt high motorhome would be helpful.
The best option is to be able to sleep in your own van. Do they allow it anymore?
Thanks Derek
Speak to Dale at Viamare in London . He should be able to sort you out. 3m plus no prob. Sleep o board in Moho, yes. There are many alternative crossings too. Good luck

Oct 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Not yet, but looking
Yes, give them a call. Ask for Dorina. She is very helpful.
Viamare Ltd.
582 Honeypot Lane
Stanmore, Middlesex, HA7 1JS
Company No: 6413485
Vat: GB 919 280 313
Tel: +44 (0)20 8206 3420

Fax:+44 (0)20 8952 8082

Mbl: +44 (0) 7801 634016

E-mail: dorina@viamare.com

Jan 8, 2020
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
January 2012
I think we have been very lucky with Italy to Greece crossings as we've just turned up and asked for a crossing. Remember that Bari to Patras is the same price as Bari to Igoumenitsa. The young lady always asks lots of questions such as club membership (answer "Yes" even ACSI will do. Your age is important as older folks get a discount.) We often park for the night at Barletta in a car park (N 41.325848°, E 16.265894°) so that we are in striking distance of Bari. The Port entrance is here N 41.134047°, E 16.844427°.
Parking the motorhome has always been easy but the staff are very laid back so chaos seems to be happening. It always works out OK. One time we had to stay the night on the harbour and got the next ferry.
Camping on Board is good when in season but if not we sleep in the lounge, it's only for one night.
Good luck and enjoy.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I think we have been very lucky with Italy to Greece crossings as we've just turned up and asked for a crossing. Remember that Bari to Patras is the same price as Bari to Igoumenitsa. The young lady always asks lots of questions such as club membership (answer "Yes" even ACSI will do. Your age is important as older folks get a discount.) We often park for the night at Barletta in a car park (N 41.325848°, E 16.265894°) so that we are in striking distance of Bari. The Port entrance is here N 41.134047°, E 16.844427°.
Parking the motorhome has always been easy but the staff are very laid back so chaos seems to be happening. It always works out OK. One time we had to stay the night on the harbour and got the next ferry.
Camping on Board is good when in season but if not we sleep in the lounge, it's only for one night.
Good luck and enjoy.

You mention 'Camping on Board' which I think is what Minoan call the service they offer - free cabin with a MH booking.

Have you been able to get Anek/Superfast 'Camping on Deck', i.e. sleeping in MH, by just turning up?

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
The Minoan crossings are called 'Camping All Inclusive' Geoff...

Minoan Lines Camping All Inclusive advantages:

• Garage space for your camper/caravan/motorhome
  • 220-volt power Electricity supply for your camper/caravan/motorhome
  • 30% discount for lunch or dinner in self-service or A-la-carte-Restaurant of Minoan Lines ships
  • In addition, your pets can travel with you and if you wish, they can sleep with you in the cabin*
  • All for the price of a deck and vehicle fare
  • Minoan Lines Camping All-inclusive is valid throughout the year
Note: After boarding is not permitted to remain in the camper/caravan/minibus throughout the journey's duration.

Pete

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
We travel to and from Greece twice a year. Out late April, back early July, out late August, back October/November.
Camping on board is allowed with Anek/Superfast from April to the end of October.

Anek from Ancona to Igoumenitsa is our preferred route (because it’s less driving in Italy) and in the past have booked it as late as March for a late April sailing. However this year I thought I would book it earlier (January) for some reason and thank goodness I did!
I usually book online or, failing that, by calling their booking office. But there was no availability online and for some reason they weren’t answering the phone so I called Dale at Viamare. He was able to book for us- presumably they answered his call but not mine! - and also strongly advised to book a return trip due to demand being very high this year. Usually we would leave it until a couple of weeks before we want to leave.

Anyway, that’s not what you asked.
We had to travel with Superfast via Bari last August and October because demand was high, so that might be what you have to do, despite a day‘s extra driving through Italy.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The Minoan crossings are called 'Camping All Inclusive' Geoff...

Minoan Lines Camping All Inclusive advantages:

• Garage space for your camper/caravan/motorhome
  • 220-volt power Electricity supply for your camper/caravan/motorhome
  • 30% discount for lunch or dinner in self-service or A-la-carte-Restaurant of Minoan Lines ships
  • In addition, your pets can travel with you and if you wish, they can sleep with you in the cabin*
  • All for the price of a deck and vehicle fare
  • Minoan Lines Camping All-inclusive is valid throughout the year
Note: After boarding is not permitted to remain in the camper/caravan/minibus throughout the journey's duration.

Pete

Pete thanks.

I just new that Anek is 'Camping on Deck'

Are you still going to Greece?

Geoff

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Pete thanks.

I just new that Anek is 'Camping on Deck'

Are you still going to Greece?

Geoff
Havent been back since before covid Geoff, hopefully organise something for next year, health keeps scuppering plans atm. We've got a month or so in France soon and a 2 monther in the autumn, not sure where yet. Greece next spring or autumn would be nice.

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back