Ferry. Newhaven / Dieppe. Any thoughts please?

Discussion in 'France' started by Old Soldier, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Old Soldier

Old Soldier Funster

Having had a belly full of problems using Dover recently can anyone please give their thoughts, experience of using the Newhaven route to France. Was it a good service or not? What, if any are the limitations?
    Thanks.

2. Portland

Portland Funster

The service to Dieppe is good and to get out of the dock is easy. You could overnight on the dirt road outside the port but I believe there is an aire near by. Just be careful if you pass through Rouen.(y) :france:

• Like Like x 2
  3. carolyn

carolyn Funster

We have done it a couple of times, both times we have been delayed leaving Newhaven but OK the other way. If tou are over 60 you get 20% discount but you have to phone. Just find the crossing and price and then phone up. We didn't eat onboard as they were day crossings, took our own picnic.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I always crossed Dieppe to Newhaven coming to UK, and its really easy. found DFDS as ferries good, Dieppe port is very easy to find, well signposted from all around the town. Cheery staff used to love booking my 4 pets through!
    Dieppe is just as easy to get out of and there are 2 Aires in the town ( think the main one just round the corner from port entrance is having an overhaul)
    I found Dieppe easier to negotiate than Le Havre.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Baycott

Baycott Funster

As we live half an hour from Newhaven we use this crossing all the time. It's a good service but the food on board is barely average.
    As its only a 4 hour crossing we make a sandwich/nibbles up whilst in line waiting to board. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  6. dewaltman

dewaltman

Used it first time this year really good service easy to get in and out of dieppe straight road to Rouen

• Like Like x 1
  7. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

Agreed we used to come back early due to a medical issue and it took out the drive back to Calais.
    The ship was a bit basic, food naff, but it's only four hours and was loverly and smooth when we came back.
    We also enjoyed the drive through the Kent countryside back to the Dartford crossing.
    More expensive than Dover Calais but worth considering.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tony_g

tony_g Funster

An excellent alternative to Dover for central or western France. We routinely use it for our runs down to Spain/Portugal/Morocco. Surprisingly, too, Newhaven is closer (and a more pleasant run) from the Midlands than the purgatory known as M6/M1/M25/M20 to Dover. Booked a return today for a Sept/Oct trip to Portugal. I noticed that the return fare shown on the website was more than the combined cost for the single fare each way and pointed this out when I phoned to make the booking with the 20% discount. The helpful French girl on the other end said I could book individual singles and still get the discount. Took a bit longer going through two bookings and paying individually but I did save best part of £30!
    Choose the right crossing and the fare isn't greatly more than Calais and Dieppe is a low hassle destination which gets you well on your way.

• Like Like x 2
  9. EssexBoy

EssexBoy Funster

Excuse my ignorance please but as it's a longer crossing, do dogs have to stay in your van, or can you take them on deck with you?
    I ask as we use the tunnel so we don't have to leave our mutts on their own..

10. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

We use the new haven to dieppe . 1st time we wondered what sort of ferry it would be, yes it is older but thought it was better then ok. Easy assess at both ports makes it good for us , a bonus if heading down the west coast of France as it saves the drive from Calais .

• Like Like x 1
  11. busby

busby Funster

Not much more expensive but if your heading for Spain or Portugal it works out cheaper as you save at least 100 miles of motoring in France..I paid £57 for my 6.5 metre van with o.a.p. discount last oct.BUSBY.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Been using it the last couple of years booked 2 crossings this year both for less than £110 return for a 7m van, only 20 miles from home and depending where we are going can save up to 400 miles on a round trip.

• Like Like x 1
  13. parknride

parknride Funster

Came home this way this year. Basic boat no probs. No hassle like Calais. Cat stayed in van but you can go down and visit.

14. Old Soldier

Old Soldier Funster

Thanks for all the replies. Certainly looks promising, even if we use it to head further East. Worth spending a few quid to avoid the anguish of M3 east of Fleet services, M25, M20 and Dover or Calais...:smiley:

15. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

I need to book a return crossing from Dieppe to Newhaven.
    Can anyone tell me the correct phone number for bookings please.
    Many thanks,
    Brisey.

16. Leftlegger

Leftlegger Funster

seems to be
    1. Address: Newhaven, East Sussex BN9 0DF
      Phone:0844 576 8836
    2. INT 0800 650 100

• Like Like x 1
  17. Leftlegger

Leftlegger Funster

going through the C&CC i can get £107.55 seems a good deal to also save 200+ miles of travel,thanks for the post.(y)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

Thank you Leftlegger.
    Brisey.

19. EssexBoy

EssexBoy Funster

Any thoughts anyone?

20. Old Soldier

Old Soldier Funster

I don't have dogs myself but assume that they will need to stay in the van, just like they do from Dover. Might be wrong because of the longer crossing. Someone on here will know...

• Like Like x 1