Feeling stupid this morning

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by dave met, Apr 4, 2015.

1. dave met

dave met Funster Life Member

Filled up the motorhome with water before we left yesterday for our weekend away,woke up today to the pump running but no taps turned on,only to find that I had left the drain valve open when I drained down at the end of last year and the tank empty,could have been worse I suppose

• Like Like x 4
  2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I've done that but usually spot it as soon as I start filling as the drain is below the inlet. I find saying "Just flushing the tank through" covers the situation quite nicely and deflects any sarcasm from the co-pilot.

And are you really married to a nun? :):):)

• Like Like x 9
  3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

it's a wonder you have not drained your battery as well and burnt out the pump running it dry

• Like Like x 1
  4. dave met

dave met Funster Life Member

Hi Wildman think I might have drained the battery as nothing will work on 12 volt,but because I have left my meter at home I can't check it until I get back,we are on e.h.u so all good

• Like Like x 1
  5. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Not as bad as when we were on holiday in Ireland and hubby emptied the waste water tank ... it was only later that he realised he'd emptied the fresh water tank instead (same type of tap, just on opposite side of van) ... needless to say I was NOT happy at having no water for my cuppa!

• Like Like x 3
  6. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Had my pump running dry for two weeks last year for the same reason. The pump still works fine. Batteries not flat due to solar..

• Like Like x 1
  7. lesr48

lesr48 Funster

I was convinced I had a leak the first time I did it - it hasn't stopped the occasional cock up though

• Like Like x 1
  8. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

I am glad there is this club . so I can say to the wife , see its not just me.

• Like Like x 2
  9. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

couple of yrs ago I had drained tank and left taps open with 12v supply turned off for about a month.
    I went to van to fill up ready to go to Malvern and found that 'someone' had turned 12v on and left it on!!!.
    Solar kept batteries topped up,but water pump burnt out :).
    My people only had a caravan pump which didn't have a non-return valve and was about 1/4 power of ours-it got us through Malvern and Camper uk sent us an upgraded replacement which was waiting for us when we got home (y) My people swapped out the pumps for no charge-I was well pleased at end of day.