Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
As regular customers and visitors to Simpsons in Gt Yarmouth we were invited to an end of season open day today, for a chat and a few eats etc, we looked at a few vans with no intention of changing our Bolero, but went into a Autosleeper Broadway EL DUO, big mistake, now we are thinking of changing to this model, but it is on a Peugeot 2.2 instead of the Fiat that we are used to, what are owners views on the A/S range and the Peugeoy vs Fiat base vehicles, are they reliable/powerful enough and what is A/S build quality like, the one we looked at today looked well screwed together and with many of the desireable extra's we added to our Bolero.
The A/S is 7.2 metres long whereas our Bolero is 6m, there is a question of access to our property, so they are bringing the A/S to our home next week to see if it fits OK, which I thought was a nice gesture from them(Brindley), so it will all hinge on the outcome of that.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Nice choice . They have problems the same as every other manufacturer but the build quality is generally good. The Fiat Citroën and Peugeot are all the same with different badges just like a lot of Swift motothomes . Badge technology is now common to try and baffle us all . Good luck with your choice .

wizza

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
8 years
The Citroen and Peugeot has the Ford engine

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We have had two A/s, A Duetto and a Windsor, both well made and Autosleepers were great for sorting problems even out of warranty ... we used to go to the service center for any required work ... it's in a lovely area and we were able to stay in their yard with elh overnight.(y)

OP
OP
injebreck99

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We were told that it has a Ford derived engine, have not test driven it yet, so it remains to be seen how the performance compares, I can always have it remapped later as it has only done 1500 miles as yet.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
The euro 6 Ducato engine does not use ad blue, and is therefor not the same as the Peugeot.

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Once having owned an Autocruise ( Accent) and now an Autosleeper(Kingham) I have to say in terms of build quality we are quite pleased with the latter and aftercare from the manufacturer has also been promising on one or two matters. The internal finishing and design is well thought out suiting us as a couple and dog.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We have a 2014 Auto Sleeper Broadway EB, fittings and fittments excellent quality, but we have had a few faults which A/S have fixed with no quibble.
The Peugeot side of things have been first class too, no problems whatsoever in 20,500 miles, also Ford Transit engine with no cam belt.
John.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
A/S produce good layouts (and have a large user group). Check the payload, though. I'm sure that Peugeot would be as good as Fiat and Simpsons will treat you well.
Good luck!

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Dogs and Auto Sleepers Broadway,not a problem. Walkies... From memory,walk out of the yard and turn right,not far down there,is a bridge over the road,just before the bridge,on your right is a small Electric? Substation Box,caged in,walk down the side of this and you can then access the railway bank,easy climb up and you are on an old trail,at the top of the bank,i turned right and walked on for a good mile,coming back,i crossed the bridge,and had a good nosey down that way. Met plenty of local dog walkers so.....Walkies 'R' AS not Us:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.. Had an A/S Broadway E.K. The broadway bit was OK,couldn't get on with the ride of the base vehicle,guess we got it right first time with a Renault Master PVC and layout,the second one,same layout is now in the yard,but different converter,sorted.
Tea Bag.
PS. If you get to the A/S yard gate,and the bridge is on your ...left... Oooooooooooooooops:whistle:

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
As regular customers and visitors to Simpsons in Gt Yarmouth we were invited to an end of season open day today, for a chat and a few eats etc, we looked at a few vans with no intention of changing our Bolero, but went into a Autosleeper Broadway EL DUO, big mistake, now we are thinking of changing to this model, but it is on a Peugeot 2.2 instead of the Fiat that we are used to, what are owners views on the A/S range and the Peugeoy vs Fiat base vehicles, are they reliable/powerful enough and what is A/S build quality like, the one we looked at today looked well screwed together and with many of the desireable extra's we added to our Bolero.
The A/S is 7.2 metres long whereas our Bolero is 6m, there is a question of access to our property, so they are bringing the A/S to our home next week to see if it fits OK, which I thought was a nice gesture from them(Brindley), so it will all hinge on the outcome of that.

We have a Broadway EL DUO 2013 model 130bhp 7.165 length 2.320 wide with mirrors folded.
Yes the motor is the 2.2 ltr Puma/HDI joint effort between Ford/ Peugeot and the same torque as the Fiat 2.3 130bhp.
Fuel economy over 6000 miles worked out at 28 mpg
Overall we're very happy with our choice and haven't found anything else that we would swop it for.
We like the comfort of the U shape lounge and the overall build quality. I've found Autosleeper excellent to deal with whenever I've needed to speak to them for information.
The payload isn't great but very easily sorted with the Dunlop air suspension kit, which definitely improves the ride quality and is easy to fit.
Feel free to message me if you wish

Chris

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We have had two A/s, A Duetto and a Windsor, both well made and Autosleepers were great for sorting problems even out of warranty ... we used to go to the service center for any required work ... it's in a lovely area and we were able to stay in their yard with elh overnight.(y)
Second that. Our Broadway was well built and the A/S service centre are first class

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The payload isn't great but very easily sorted with the Dunlop air suspension kit, which definitely improves the ride quality and is easy to fit.
I assume that was a condition of uprating?

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
I assume that was a condition of uprating?

Yes, now 3850 kg which is more than we needed, also if we were to uprate the rear tyres we could increase another 100 kg.
Another bonus is the road tax is reduced to £165

OP
OP
injebreck99

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Yes, now 3850 kg which is more than we needed, also if we were to uprate the rear tyres we could increase another 100 kg.
Another bonus is the road tax is reduced to £165

But that would add driving licence problems for me as I am over 70 years old.

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Have you had any issues with the payload or the handling?

No issues with the handling, and I think there maybe a discretionary 5% allowance on maximum weight so on 3500 thats another 175 kg without uprating, but please check for yourself

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Have you had any issues with the payload or the handling?
Handling - no
Payload - no

However, mine was not strictly representative; it was one of only 12 Broadways built on a 4 tonne Al-Ko chassis with a 3 litre Fiat engine. Payload was about a tonne - never got over 3660 on the weighbridge fully loaded.

A rare van that really built on the A/S reputation. I loved it until the Pilote A Class came along.

OP
OP
injebreck99

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I rang Brindley at Simpsons yesterday, he confirmed that the payload is 279KG, but that includes driver and passenger at 75kg each, and a full water tank, but does not include the optional awning which this one has, probably 25kg or so, anyway, this is all irrelevant if it does not fit on my driveway, we'll see on Wednesday.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Fiat use a 2.3 Fiat engine Peugeot use the Ford 2.2 Puma engine. The Ford Puma is an excellent engine used in thousands of Transit vans with few problems.

We have that engine in our Autosleeper PVC. It pulls very well indeed even with a Toyota IQ on the A frame. Easily mappable to give more power with a strong reliable Clutch and drivetrain.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I rang Brindley at Simpsons yesterday, he confirmed that the payload is 279KG, but that includes driver and passenger at 75kg each, and a full water tank, but does not include the optional awning which this one has, probably 25kg or so, anyway, this is all irrelevant if it does not fit on my driveway, we'll see on Wednesday.
Whilst its being given a run out, get them to take it to a weighbridge so you get an accurate weight - that is the ONLY way to be sure of what payload there is.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you go to a weighbridge, take a note of what's on board at the time. I'd empty the tanks (they probably are) allow for (or remove) any gas bottles and assume no fuel. Make sure that, if a spare wheel is included, it's present when you weigh. There's little point in not knowing what it is you've got a weight for.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back