Family Tree question

Discussion in 'Computers' started by buttons, Dec 3, 2009.

1. buttons

buttons Funster

I am in the process of building a family tree using genes reunited, is there any way to copy this tree into an office or pdf file.:Sad:

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Not directly but you can create a Gedcom file from it. That can be imported to any genealogy database package and you can create reports from there. There is a large range of programs available. Personal Ancestral File (PAF) and Legacy can be downloaded for free. Others like Brothers Keeper and Genbox can be downloaded on a try before you buy basis.

One word of caution. If you create a Gedcom file and import it to one of the programs the first thing to do is to verify that the data has been transferred properly. We have had several GR Gedcom files sent to us for chart production in the past where the information has been corrupted in some way. It shouldn't be a long or difficult job but worth doing.

Graham

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi

just to add to Graham's expert advice ,

I started just over a year ago and faffed about for several months with different on line hosts but finally settled with Tribal Pages .. It's arguably the best on line host, bar none.

http://tribalpages.com/

It's free to join and the basic package is free but you can upgrade for more facilities as you require.. you can download printable charts and the Gedom file for use with other packages.

You can also set several levels of security depending on how much you want casual visitors to view.. have a look at my front page, http://www.jcallan.co.uk/

good luck.. it's a great hobby

jim

4. buttons

buttons Funster

Thanks Graham I will do some research today, never come across a Gedcom file but I will make that my mission for today. Nothing worthwhile is ever easy so I will follow your links and see how I get on.
    Thanks again for your quick reply

5. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Hi

I have been using Family Tree Maker 2006 and yes it does create a PDF file.

Best prog I have used....

ShiftZZ

6. savantuk

savantuk Read Only Funster

You could use a photo manipulation program, loads free on the net if you don't already have one, to save the text, convert it to a Jpeg, and then import it into word.

You can't manipulate it in word, but you can always re-open the jpeg file, alter it, and re-insert it.

Hope this helps.

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I think you are probably right about Tribal Pages Jim. Never used it myself but it has been around for years and seems to be set up better than others. Sites like Ancestry, GR and My Heritage are aimed more at on-line publication rather than production of printed charts and reports from word processors.

We use FTM 2006 more than any other for producing long banner charts. It is the easiest to use of the programs which produce charts automatically.
    There are several programs now which will produce PDF files but beware that some of the PDF engines (including the one in FTM 2006) are not perfect and don't always create the graphical elements of charts correctly.

My own favourite charting program is TreeDraw. Jim will not be surprised to find that it is published by a Scottish company :Smile: It takes a fair amount of manual effort but can produce some very nice charts - and much more compact than the automatically generated ones.

Graham

8. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

Looks good Jim I use Myheritage Family tree with a rather large family tree over 900 people and 250 families. Is it possible to import a Gedcom file to your site?

Regards

9. scotjimland

hi

yes, you can

jim

10. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Hi I also have been using Family tree maker but cannot find make pdf file. I have ver 7.5 have I missed a later edition or several.

11. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Several :Smile: FTM 2006 is Version 16. Afraid I don't known when the PDF capability was introduced.

The company published a completely different program (FTM 2008, since upgraded to 2009 and 2010) after version 16 but FTM 2006 is still available from My History. I have no connection with My History except that the people who run it are friends who we get on with well when we see them at FH fairs :Smile:

Graham

12. buttons

buttons Funster

Thanks Jim I like the look of that one and Graham has now given it the nod so I will give it a go. Will have to keep your address handy you could be my help page.:thumb:

13. scotjimland

No problem.. there is also a TP help forum with a lot of good advice with some very helpful people who don't mind doing free 'look ups' .. I've had a lot of good leads from members when I was trying to find ancestors who emigrated to Canada in the 20 s.

I started off with the free version but have since up graded to the Deluxe .. see how you get on before shelling out hard earned..

jim

14. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

OK signed up but cannot see where i can upload my Gedcom? do you have to upgrade to enable this feature?

15. scotjimland

Hi

upload Gedcom is on the free version ..

Click on Edit and log in

you will see a box Files and Up Load Gedcom

see screenshot

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  16. Blondi

Blondi Funster

For what it is worth, I tried several different programs and found problems with them all. Very often Gedcom files were not as universal as made out, requiring each time to re input all my data.

I now use Excel to make a family tree using the drawing facilities. I can use different worksheets for different sections of the famly, and use the Hypertext Links to take you from one sheet to another sheet, or to another file which may be a pdf of a photo, or an MP3 etc.

By doing this I feel more under control of the data e.g. I think Excel, PDF and MP3 files are more universal, and will be around a lot longer than many of these special FT program files. Also, when emailing any contacts I come across, I can attach an excel spreadsheet of just the relevant area of the tree which we have in common.

As an example of a situation in my tree which I have not found a FT package yet to display properly, My Fathers Mother married my Mothers Father( 2 nd marriage in each case).

Something to consider.

Pete

17. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

Cheers Jim

imported no probs :thumb:

18. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Pete, rather you than me...
    Interesting thought though...

19. scotjimland

Yes indeed.. downside to this method, (apart from dying before it's done.. :Laughing:) if it's not published on an ancestry site you won't find links to other trees..

I've had lots of people email me with information, the most notable was a guy from Glasgow who found his GGG grandmother on my tree.. we shared info and I had another branch of the Allan family I knew nothing about .. I've also found distant twin cousins in Canada, the grandfather emigrated in the 1920s

Also had people contact me from Australia and NZ .. all through visiting my tree ..

However, it's not always uplifting news, I found a family member who was shot by her husband who then committed suicide, and her daughter killed her new born child.., I have the court papers which I bought from the Scottish archives, she was sent to Duke St Prison in Glasgow for 6 months, she died at the age of 18, alone in a hospital in Isle of Cummrae, last time I was up I visited her grave... all very sad ..

20. meanders

meanders Funster - Life Member Life Member

We have been researching our family tree for over 20 years now and have used various different methods including FTM Genes etc . It is fascinating and becomes addictive!!
    Robins family has been traced back to the 1700's and mine goes back to the 1600's.
    My most famous ancester was hanged at Bodmin Gaol for sheep stealing, and some others were not too good either, but it does make it all the more interesting.
    Hilary