EZ-NET Satellite internet (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Has anyone used the above service? I am flirting with the idea of splashing out on some decent internet for when I plan to go away on an extended trip.

They seem to be saying £1500 for the hardware with subscriptions from £30-60 P/M (10-40GB allowance).

They also offer unmetered nigh time usage from 00.00 - 06.00 which is handy.

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
I used Big-blu for my satellite internet (and Satellite Internet before them) until recently. I "think" I paid an extra £500 when I had the Oyster dish fitted to get the internet router/modem fitted.

It was reasonably reliable but always very slow. The speed you pay for means nothing, I struggled to get more that 2mbps download.

We are just back from a 4 week trip to France, Italy, Slovenia and Croatia where I used my mobile as a hotspot on the Vodafone network. Never failed to get a connection and most of the time it was a full 4g signal with around 20mbps. £25 per month for unlimited calls, text messages and 30gb of data. All the data can be used tethered and abroad.

I've now cancelled the satellite internet but still have the hardware in case I need it in teh future.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The Oyster Internet system has been obsolete for about a year now, as data is so much easier to access firms like Alden and Oyster see it as hardware that was simply overtaken by technology

Satellite TV is rapidly going the same way as well I believe

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Hi all,

The problem with Internet via Satellite on automatic systems like Alden or Oyster is that they are predominantly Automatic TV satellite systems.
I can't speak for the Alden system but with ourselves the Internet option was first made available in 2009 when Internet via Satellite was first introduced to Astra 3, Astra 2 and Hellasat using the KU bandwidth that is also used to broadcast the TV signals.
Using one special iLNB and adding a Modem to the setup we were able to deliver both TV and Internet using one dish (albeit not at the same time) which allowed customers to either work while away or access the internet in remote places where otherwise it would not be possible.
The speeds available have always been an issue with the maximum download limited to 10mbs and upload at (generally) 256kbs where as with KA band (a higher bandwidth) the speeds were a lot better but the equipment and the packages were a lot more expensive.
As research and development over recent years has seen the prices for KA band equipment and packages plummet, KU providers are becoming more and more rare and also with the falling costs of mobile data it got to a point where we decided that it was no longer a financially viable option to offer this system.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
It does @Anthony OysterTech thanks.

I'm in the process of selling up and planning on spending a good few months away in the van. I've always planned to spend a bit of cash on the van before leaving and I think in this day and age it is important to have decent internet so flirted with the idea of a sat system.

I had visions of great internet where ever I was and enough speed to maybe even catch up with friends via games on Xbox etc. It's just doesn't look like that's reality.

Seems that the deals you get on mobile data are the way forward especially with the tethering etc that is available.

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Glad to be of help.

You could always speak to a Company called Conrad Anderson who are based in Birmigham.
Nathan (who's one of the directors) is very very knowledgeable on everything Satellite internet and could possibly help you spec up something that would definitely allow you to to everything you stated above.
The biggest problem is going to be initial cost of the equipment but I know that they offer solutions of this nature to customers like yourself.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Conrad Anderson website seems to be down. Not a great first impression...... just joking I will try again later. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back