Extreme quotes for fulltiming!!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by Coolbeanz, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

Our motorhome insurance is due for renewal on 5th November so I have been busy getting quotes today. As we will be classed as full-timing from March I have narrowed it down to Safeguard and Comfort as recommended by Funsters. Both companies were very helpful and friendly and I discussed our plans in detail to ensure the quotes covered our needs. Comfort's quote including breakdown & recovery was nearly £900 and Safeguard's quote was only £333. How can it be so different? Comfort suggested I may not have been quoted proper full-timing insurance from Safeguard but I had already got them to email me confirmation of this and a copy of the policy so I could read the finer details.
    Was Comfort's quote extreme or Safeguard's exceptionally cheap? Who knows as I have no previous experience but I do know which policy I will be taking out if all the small print matches up!! :Smile:

2. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

Hi

We had a full timing policy from Comfort, premium was £850. I am pretty sure that Comfort are the only brokers that offer 'proper' full timing insurance. I would make absolutely sure Safeguard realise you will actually be living in the van and if they agree - get it in writing!

Its always possible to take a bit of a chance and not tell the insurance company you are full timing but they can (as Comfort say) ask for proof of your permanent residence, utility bills etc.

The above only applies if you don't have a permanent place of residence.

Paul

3. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

From my experience these firms are only brokers for underwriters,some of which don't understand the uses of motorhomes. This may account for the variance of the quotes.

4. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

We will be retaining ownership of our home here and still paying Council Tax (our son & his partner are moving in so our house wont be empty while we are away) and I got them to confirm everything in an email so it looks like a very good quote. :Smile:

5. vwalan

vwalan Funster

by retaining your house you arent fulltiming . just long terming . i assumer the address for contact is your house . the vehicle registered and your driving licence etc all to the house?
    depending on age try saga , or just take whats on offer . some dont like covering eu fully comp for long terming .

6. 100brian

100brian Read Only Funster

your lucky I tried to get a quote from safeguard for a motorhome I may by buying, just for normal use, they said do not cover isle of man resident's

7. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

yes, sorry I should have written long-terming not full-timing. The Safeguard quote is only £50 more that what we paid last year for normal cover and recovery where we were limited to 90 days so we are very pleased. I will still check out Saga though now I qualify!! :BigGrin:

8. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

You are if you never go back there. :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  9. vwalan

vwalan Funster

yes you can look at it like that. as in op case family are there i dare say they will return . if only for a visit and get mot etc . i know a few that live in their driveway all summer as the house is rented out . you have to decide are you or arent you .
    best not say no fixed abode .

10. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Don't know if they cover full timing, but try Scenic.
    They are a motorhome insurance outfit, part of Swinton.
    We don't full time, but I've always had good prices from them.

11. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

That's still motorhome fulltiming, though, isn't it?

12. olley

olley Funster

I pay comfort £1800 for fulltiming.:cry:

Ian

13. crizatuk

crizatuk

Re

I am full timing and with Safeguard my insurance is only £250 with all there standard breakdown for uk Europe, at first they said they could not insure me as I was full timing but as I warm on a campsite they have some special dispensation and class me as a site agent. .

14. crizatuk

crizatuk

Work on a campsite that should read.

15. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

My full time insurance is £770 with breakdown on a 7.5 ton 36 foot RV
    Sure guard is my insurer hope this helps

16. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

We opted for the safeguard policy in the end with full breakdown and repatriation. It cost us £317 with 365 days European cover and unlimited mileage. Very happy with that :BigGrin:

17. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

Just check that the 365 days is just that, it usually covers you over 365 days but for trips to Europe of no more than 90 days at a time.

Nigel and Pamala

18. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

Don't worry we checked, it is a longtermers insurance and they assured me we were covered for an unlimited number of days and mileage per year. :thumb:

19. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

I think the most extreme quote is "all fulltimers are mad tax evading gypoes", far too extreme they are not ALL mad:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::hardhat::hardhat::hardhat:

• Like Like x 1
  20. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

We have been FT for 2 years, and until now only had 'standard' insurance.
    Opted for Comfort, as over the past two years from what we have researched and know of others - they are the ony broker who offer this officially. (the policy is with Aviva).
    Previously were pretty static, but now we intend to move around a lot I wanted to be 100% legit!!!
    They know we don't own or rent a house, and only required a 'care of' address, and cover us 365 wherever we are with no restrictions. Includes contents, breakdown, full UK and Europe for however long and wherever. For piece of mind it was worth it - £895. Will be interesting if the Safeguard policy is actually proper FT with no other ties etc. as if it is sounds like a bargain!! Be good if it is, as that will give Comfort some 'competition' which is always good to get prices down:thumb:

Bizzarly though, I called Comfort to quote for my car renewal which is due - and they couldn't cover that because we don't have a residential address and they know we are FT !!!:Doh:
    Back to the 'normal' route for that one then!!!