Extra fridge capacity

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by hdvrod, Jan 15, 2014.

1. hdvrod

hdvrod Read Only Funster

About to buy one of these to increase our capacity,intend to locate it in the shower tray area as we never use the shower (we only ever use campsites so use their facilities) and have strengthened the floor in preparation.Also will probably only ever use it in 240v mode for the same reasons as above,seems like a good buy, anybody any comments?
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...dp:1o1|bku:1&gclid=CNTz0qOagLwCFSEcwwodX2gAqQ

2. Tootles

Tootles Funster

They are great, as long as you remember that they are really only a COOL box, and not an additional fridge.

3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

If you drill holes in the shower tray you will probably have to replace it if you sell the van. A compressor coolbox would an alternative but they are not cheap.

Sorry, just clicked on the link. Those type of coolbox near useless in very hot weather as they only chill a set amount below ambient, 16C for the Halfords one, which is why you really need a compressor one if possible. But they are eye-wateringly expensive.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  4. Yorick

Yorick Funster

We have summat similar and it isn't really a fridge when the weather is warm.

But what we do is buy ice, fill fridge and stick it on 12v as we drive along and contents stay lovely and cold :Smile:

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

6. Bellini

Bellini Funster

We have a very old Halfords cool-box that still works and has been used in the past on many camping trips in the UK and abroad.

Points to note, as mentioned above:-

1. They'll 'cool' below ambient, but will never be particularly cold or fridge-like. OK in cold ambient conditions and mediocre at best when it's warm. In very hot conditions, such as Italy (from experience), it struggled and the butter melted.

2. They run all the time. They rarely, if ever, stop. Bear that in mind at night.

3. They need good ventilation to work to their best.

4. Capacity isn't great, but they're a help.

If you do want an infinitely better long-term, low energy solution that's a proper fridge and often a freezer that will last a lifetime, then look for a secondhand Engel. They're not cheap but you won't regret it. And they're dual voltage, so will happily run on 12v and 240v without issue. Or turn down to the coolest setting, freeze the contents (minus 14'C and lower) and use it as an ice / cool box for a week or so.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  7. hdvrod

hdvrod Read Only Funster

Thanks for the response,I have fitted a piece of leftover kitchen worktop on the shower tray which fits the space perfectly so no drilling involved.We only intend to use the coolbox for water,beer etc. so hopefully it should be okay,we are travelling to Spain next month for 4 months and intend using it there.

8. hdvrod

hdvrod Read Only Funster

From the responses above might be better to go for a small tabletop fridge as we don't need really the 12v option.Thoughts?

9. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I have tried something similar, but as others have said they are not really a fridge. I now have the Dometic 3 way fitted in the garage sharing the garage oven gas bottle, with a 12 volt and mains socket in there. The Dometic 3 way will freeze if turned right up on 12 volt, mains or gas. Its top loading, so easy to get at stuff. I use this as a beer fridge when parked up, and an extra freezer when leaving home. Keeps the van fridge free for foodstuffs and was one of the best aftermarket things I ever fitted.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Hi Dave don't suppose you have a link to the one you have as I keep looking at extra freezer capacity for extended trips. Plenty of room in the garage, looked at 12v ones but not really up to the job and apparently murder the batteries. It is freezer capacity I want not fridge.

11. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Looks good apart from one review said the fan was noisy "OK in a shed".

12. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Its an old Dometic that I bought off ebay second hand. I bought it to save filling the van fridge up with beer. I never expected it to freeze but it does. Before leaving home I switch it on and freeze it down on mains, then when travelling switch it over to 12 volt. If wilding it runs on gas, but I leave the garage door on the first catch when on gas as am not sure about any fumes it may give off. As its a top loader it does not warm up when you open the lid. Its running on mains now and at half setting the beer is 4deg.

13. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

One other thing to note with a cool box, they're good as a dehumidifier?? Because they cycle air all the time and are, relatively, cold inside, moisture condenses in them so they get rather wet.

I use ours as a drinks table between the front seats.