Extra DATA while in EU. (1 Viewer)

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
My main SIM is from O2 and getting extra Data from RWG SIM with 200GB £20 p/m, that 100GB can roaming in EU.
Yesterday I got Email from RWG
“Due to changes in our wholesale roaming charges, the EU roaming allowance will fall to 20GB from 1st April 2024”.
Advice please - how other Funsters getting extra Data for roaming in EU?

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
IQ Go. 100gb for £20.

You buy the sim for £20 for a year, then buy a bolt on of 100gb for £20 (valid for one month) whenever you need it.

Buy your sim here

Then buy your bolt ons here

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
A lot of threads on this subject, Popit comes up or local sims.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
IQ Go. 100gb for £20.

You buy the sim for £20 for a year, then buy a bolt on of 100gb for £20 (valid for one month) whenever you need it.

Buy your sim here

Then buy your bolt ons here
Can you Roaming the all 100GB in EU?

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
With Popit
you can but you have to use so much in UK first, I believe it’s unclear how much you have to use.
I’m going to get a French sim next time due to RWG’s policy change.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Funny how when the Europeans come over here, they’re not restricted🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🙄

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022

Same here, It’s the first job after arriving. Currently using a Spanish Orange €15 100gb data SIM after the RWG 100gb ran out - I’ve already cancelled it for next month.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
I must admit I thought it was 90 days consecutively (which is as much as most of us can roam in the EU under Schengen.). Their website says:
We do however state we can't permit more than 3 months in a row EU usage without use in the UK breaking it up.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021

Yes, you can. I've used it right up to the max in France, Spain and Germany :) Here's the text for you;

"Data covers UK and EU​

We do not have a "Fair use policy" when abroad which is pretty unique. If you order 100GB, you get 100GB in UK or EU. We do however state we can't permit more than 3 months in a row EU usage without use in the UK breaking it up. "

From https://helloiq.co.uk/collections/iq-go

Apr 9, 2015
🇵🇹
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Every day a schoolday
I’m about to sack RWG!
They were brilliant at first for our extensive EU travels starting in April 2023 but then they dropped 100GB of roaming off their 200GB EU inclusive bundle and then since November 2023, I’ve had nothing but connectivity issues. My device tells me that I’m still under the 100GB limit but RWG tell me I’ve used all of my 100GB data allowance?
There’s no way to verify this supposed usage independently 🤷‍♀️

If I were you I would contact your existing mobile data provider and ask what they can do for you. I’m with EE and they’ve just given me 125GB uncapped EU roaming per month for the same price as RWG’s 100GB.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I’m about to sack RWG!
They were brilliant at first for our extensive EU travels starting in April 2023 but then they dropped 100GB of roaming off their 200GB EU inclusive bundle and then since November 2023, I’ve had nothing but connectivity issues. My device tells me that I’m still under the 100GB limit but RWG tell me I’ve used all of my 100GB data allowance?
There’s no way to verify this supposed usage independently 🤷‍♀️

If I were you I would contact your existing mobile data provider and ask what they can do for you. I’m with EE and they’ve just given me 125GB uncapped EU roaming per month for the same price as RWG’s 100GB.

As I explain regularly, people need to focus on getting mobile data tariffs and not have high expectations of mobile phone tariff bundles delivering a decent service. As an in roamer (from a third country) on an EU partners network, your traffic will be shaped, algorithm controlled and your priority will be low… post Brexit it’s not great!

Tiekom is still about the best bet for a reliable and quality service.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
I’m about to sack RWG!

Join the club!

I’ve already cancelled my subscription from the end of the month. Been using a 100gb Spanish Orange SIM purchased for €15 in Cadiz which is working very well in Spain and Portugal. I’ve got a 15gb UK Lebara SIM (99p pcm for six months, no contract) in slot 2 on the Teltonika as a backup, but will from now on just buy a best deal local high data time limited SIM from a supermarket or phone shop when travelling abroad and bung it in slot 1.

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
Getting a foreign SIM is great unless you want to stream British TV, SKY sports or TNT (formerly BT) sports. Using a VPN can help but the TV companies are always looking for ways to block VPN traffic from outside the UK. Using a UK SIM like Popit or one of the others mentioned does not suffer this problem.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Getting a foreign SIM is great unless you want to stream British TV, SKY sports or TNT (formerly BT) sports. Using a VPN can help but the TV companies are always looking for ways to block VPN traffic from outside the UK. Using a UK SIM like Popit or one of the others mentioned does not suffer this problem.

Not as yet noticed any issues using NordVPN with foreign SIMs for any U.K. channels - or KODI for that matter.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..

I suggest you try a different VPN if you’re having issues. Never had the problems you suggest. A VPN by the very nature of it, masks the traffic, so how on earth can the content providers identify your UK (via VPN) traffic as anything other than UK traffic.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Funny how when the Europeans come over here, they’re not restricted🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🙄
They do actually - Year before last I bought a Vodafone.ES sim and the whole data allowance was only available in Spain and Romania, the other countries (EU and UK) had a lower roaming allowance. I know Orange.ES and Movistar are similar.

Not sure whats going to happen now as I understand Vodafone have "sold" their Spanish and Italian networks.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We picked up a 100gb Lebara sim in Beni indoor market yesterday for €15 . My 25 GB from O2 would have been plenty but it seems there are essential football matches coming up over the next month and I don’t want to waste my data on that rubbish!

Works great in his dual sim phone.

We can now download some good films and some gorey scandi stuff as well!

It’s certainly very easy and cheap in Spain.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
I suggest you try a different VPN if you’re having issues. Never had the problems you suggest. A VPN by the very nature of it, masks the traffic, so how on earth can the content providers identify your UK (via VPN) traffic as anything other than UK traffic.
They can't identify it as non-UK traffic.

But presumably, if they see many connections from the same IP address with traffic that doesn't look like the typical household they have a reasonable chance of getting it correct in identifying it as a VPN provider.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
They can't identify it as non-UK traffic.

But presumably, if they see many connections from the same IP address with traffic that doesn't look like the typical household they have a reasonable chance of getting it correct in identifying it as a VPN provider.

Yeah but there are so many different UK locations you can choose with a decent VPN provider…. The VPN providers play the game of mixing it all up too, it’s in their interest to keep customers happy after all! 😉

Also I’m guessing that fibre interconnects present massive amounts of internet traffic, can’t see how they can filter.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
With Popit

you can but you have to use so much in UK first, I believe it’s unclear how much you have to use.
I used less than 0.5gb and a couple of calls and texts over 6 days in the UK with Popit and then straight over to Spain for 3 months
Worked flawlessly for the 12 weeks we were away and used most of my 100gb up each month watching evening live UK TV
The missus likes her soaps :giggle::giggle:

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I used less than 0.5gb and a couple of calls and texts over 6 days in the UK with Popit and then straight over to Spain for 3 months
Worked flawlessly for the 12 weeks we were away and used most of my 100gb up each month watching evening live UK TV
The missus likes her soaps :giggle::giggle:
I do wonder how good the networks are at enforcing the limitations? I 've exceeded the days and the comparable amounts several times and yet to have a problem with O2, Lebara and Poppit. The only notifications I've had were from O2 on the total amount of data/month.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I do wonder how good the networks are at enforcing the limitations? I 've exceeded the days and the comparable amounts several times and yet to have a problem with O2, Lebara and Poppit. The only notifications I've had were from O2 on the total amount of data/month.

Usage data is often batch updates and sometimes days after the usage occurred, it’s therefore quite hard for the subscribers home network to keep up-to-date with precise usage, hence the overrun is common.

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
I've tried 2 different VPNs, TotalAV, and SurfSHark but I couldn't watch the football on what was then BT Sport. I think it came up with a message saying something like, "looks like you are using a VPN, we cannot gurantee you are a genuine UK based user". I think this is because companies like the BBC and BT get to know the addresses of the UK based VPN routers and blacklist them.
Also on a different but related note, if I try to log into my National Lottery account while using my UK mobile phone hot spot while abroad I get a message saying "looks like you are outside the UK", so something somewhere is telling them I'm abroad.

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
Just scrapped my RWG sim after reading they’re reducing their 100gb to 20gb when roaming. RWG used to be pretty good too, but didn’t work in quite a few countries last November. Said they were having issues in the same countries. Customer service was crap too. Wasted £40, never offered a refund even though I couldn’t use RWG services. Ordered an IQ sim, seems a decent deal.

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
Unfortunately, in my experience, they do

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back