Extinguishers (1 Viewer)

glenda65

Free Member
May 4, 2023
Funster No
MH
Volkswagen Caddy
As a newbie, I hope this has gone to the correct forum.
Any advice regarding fire extinguisher type/make for caddy Maxi campervan would be appreciated,thanx

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I have a fire blanket as first response for top of hob fires. We recently had a fire inside our oven and the blanket was too awkward to use so the powder extinguisher was discharged by husband. It is very effective BUT it is a holiday ender, no way you can stay inside, and a certain amount is bound to be inhaled if discharged inside.
We have replaced it with another powder but I have added a Fire Safety Stick. This has good reviews, is non damaging and can be put down and left behind as you exit the vehicle.
All 3 items are readily accessible in the sliding door area so exit is protected.
My husband is comfortable with the powder from his times as a trackside marshal, I feel that I would grab the Fire Safety Stick as it is lighter to handle.
We have a second powder grabbable from the driver’s door in case of engine compartment fire.
A lot of people have got the water mist type though.

Mar 28, 2010
Wirral
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer 504
Exp
Since 1995
Like Riverbankannie, we have fire blankets for the first response. One covers a hob fire and one person exiting by the adjacent door, and the other provides cover people at the rear of the van, which doesn't have an easy access, with a chance of getting out. We have a fire extinguisher by the main door.

Nine years ago the Merseyside Fire Brigade told us to work out how we used the van, where fires can erupt (usually engine fire he said), and how we will get out. He suggested talking to Surelincs:

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/caravan-fire-safety-tips/

Soon after, Surelincs gave us advice and sold us fire blankets but that's about eight years ago so you can't rely on the advice they gave us. There are other firms. And don't forget smoke/carbon monoxide alarms.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
We’ve just replaced the ordinary cylinder extinguisher that was attached to the side of the drivers seat with a fire stick on the side of a cupboard. Much easier to grab, and you can leave it near the fire and get out, whereas the other sort you have to hold. Also didn’t know until recently that those standard cylinder ones are supposed to be serviced each year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I have a fire blanket and a 50 second fire safety stick. The fire safety stick is not cheap and I hope I never have to use it, but if I do it lasts longer than any compact extinguisher and does no damage. Also the shelf life is 15 years powder extinguishers have 5 years, when I checked it my powder extinguisher was 2 years out of date so no certainty it would work.

Reactions: hja

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back