Exploring Newbury - Best Place To Stay?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Wombles, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Wombles

Wombles Funster

Some friends of ours want to visit Newbury town & the nearby area & wondered where best to stay? They are used to camping on aires abroad as well as campsites so any suggestions (including parking/pub overnight stops) that I could pass on would be helpful. Are there are any campsites with a bus stop nearby for Newbury?

2. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

are you serious,they actually want to visit Newbury?:LOL:
    cant help with campsites,but please let us know how they get on.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wombles

Wombles Funster

Yes really! They went through it last year & wanted to stay but couldn't find anywhere. We have only been to the Showground before so haven't visited the town.

4. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

This campsite is the South side of Newbury, circa 3 miles from Newbury town centre off the Andover road A343 - http://www.oakleyfarm.co.uk

The Woodpecker pub is a few minutes walk away - http://www.arkells.com/the-woodpecker-inn-newbury.htm There is a bus stop near the pub I think.

I think the Red House and the Furze Bush pubs might be in Brit Stops, not sure if any facilities though:-

http://www.theredhousepub.com
    http://www.furzebushinn.co.uk

Edit: I think there may also be a couple of small CL/CS sites if in the requisite CC / CCC clubs.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

Hi,there used to be a britstops in or very near Newbury are you a member.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wombles

Wombles Funster

Our friends don't have Britstops but thanks to @RowleyBirkinQC Oakley Farm & The Woodpecker look like a great option so will pass those on :)

7. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

No worries. Just to ensure no ambiguity, I only mentioned the Woodpecker pub as a convenience, given it is a few minutes walk from Oakley Farm campsite. I didn't know the pub accommodated overnight stays for Motorhomes as per your PM. So I've learned something here too!

8. Wombles

Wombles Funster

Think that the pub is like many others that if you contact them on an individual basis & book in for a meal or two then ask nicely about staying overnight in their car park they might agree :) Keep reading about Funsters doing this so thought I would try & ask! Our friends have just a small campervan. The Woodpecker doesn't advertise itself as a camping pub so may not always be possible or suitable for them so always best to check in advance.

9. phase3begins

phase3begins Read Only Funster

Postern Hill. Quirky site in forest. Not too far from Newbury and is a short walk from Marlborough when fed up with Newbs.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wombles

Wombles Funster

For anyone who is considering staying at Oakley Farm (not far from Newbury Showground):
    Having checked with Stagecoach there is a reasonable bus service into Newbury Monday - Saturday (no buses on Sunday) but 2 different sets of stops in walking distance. The Wash Water stops are next to The Woodpecker pub for Burghclere-Newbury bus number 7A & the Penwood stops are on the main road (between site road & pub?) for Andover-Newbury bus number 7. Timetables are here https://www.stagecoachbus.com/ & have a look at https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...f612316877652c2!8m2!3d51.3668983!4d-1.3486823 for location of stops in regards to the campsite & pub. We have happy friends now :) Thought I should post the bus stops info. as the campsite doesn't list them on their website & they couldn't advise on the times.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Newbury has a great history and is worth a few days visit. The Kennet and Avon canal and associated is wonderful I have lived here for 60 years and love the place even though it has changed from being a proper market town ..many great places to eat and drink ..or just chill out watching narrow boats navigate the town bridge and lock ..Roy

• Like Like x 1
  12. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

Along with Donnington Castle (what's left), English Civil War battle sites and related history, Shaw House (Elizabethan mansion) which has a musket ball lodged in the wall of a wood panelled room, allegedly shot at Charles 1st when in residence there, think I recall some reference to a John O'Gaunt, a wealthy business man of some historical note back in the day maybe (could be a stretch that, trying to recall local history from school days, but there are local references such as a school and pub by said name).

Or just go to the pub!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 2