Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We had a interesting experience yesterday and I wondered if anybody else might in the future be able to repeat this.

The glass cooker top exploded and showered the interior of the motorhome with glass. It was caused by me knocking the switch for the electric ring as I passed and switching it on.

As the glass top was down it heated the glass which then went bang - very loudly.

On our Autotrail the switches for gas and electric rings were isolated whilst the lid was down. Not so on my Thetford Caprice mk3 it seems.

As you can see in the debris I checked the gas and that would work as well. Not sure what would have occurred if we knocked it on whilst on the way out but suspect I would be in the market for buying a new motorhome.

The makers web site appears to be a bit confusing as it states it does on this link from Australia but the euro link does not actually mention it.
http://www.thetford-europe.com/au/product/caprice/

The users manual states "depending on specification it may be fitted with a glass lid shut of system"

What I wanted to know is does anybody else have a similar cooker and does it cut out the gas/electric when the lid is down?

View media item 20804View media item 20803View media item 20805View media item 20806View media item 20807

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
That's bad:(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
That is really bad. I would expect it to have an auto shut off if the lid was down. Surely this error makes it highly dangerous. I'd be tempted to contact trading stds.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
image.jpeg
We have the same model in our IH. Although I had not assumed it has a cut out when closed, I am certainly going to take great care that not accidentally turned on. Thanks for posting.
By the way, this is what happened to my knobs, was told I must have used strong cleaning materials but we had only used the van for a few days last November and no cleaning needed to be done. Thankfully knobs all replaced under warranty.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Is there a practical reason for having a glass lid on a cooker..... against something that cannot break/explode?

...just asking...like:whistle:

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Blimey! Thats a warning for everyone, I am actually not keen on using the hob at all, prefer to plug something in, much more danger of accidentally turning something on when its on the side/front too.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
To pick up the fragment you can't sweep, either blue tac or some tape wrapped around your hand sticky side out.

OP
OP
MikeD

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
View attachment 125880 We have the same model in our IH. Although I had not assumed it has a cut out when closed, I am certainly going to take great care that not accidentally turned on. Thanks for posting.
By the way, this is what happened to my knobs, was told I must have used strong cleaning materials but we had only used the van for a few days last November and no cleaning needed to be done. Thankfully knobs all replaced under warranty.

Ours is a IH as well. 2015 RL

We are on our second three month trip into Spain since March and all well so far with the cooker knobs. We don't cook much though usually eat out

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
So it's no good asking you why I cannot get the oven to stay lit and why the grill area and the knobs get so hot when oven on???
Going to iH for habitation check and couple of problems end October. Hope they can sort it then.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Is there a practical reason for having a glass lid on a cooker..... against something that cannot break/explode?

...just asking...like:whistle:
Nope, they always used to have a thin laminated board wich matched the worktop.

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
I did the same on our 2014 Autotrail, knocked the electric ring on by accident. Luckily I smelt the burning, now I have unplugged the electric under the oven.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
That is really bad. I would expect it to have an auto shut off if the lid was down. Surely this error makes it highly dangerous. I'd be tempted to contact trading stds.
Never had a MH with a lid cut-off. Mind you our last caravan didn't have a net over it either. Would have been useful for catching falling jars of marmalade:LOL:.

OP
OP
MikeD

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
So it's no good asking you why I cannot get the oven to stay lit and why the grill area and the knobs get so hot when oven on???
Going to iH for habitation check and couple of problems end October. Hope they can sort it then.

There is a slide out bit of metal just above he grill that is meant to shield the Knobs from the heat. It rattles like the devil on ours :(

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Nope, they always used to have a thin laminated board wich matched the worktop.

Mine has a matching laminate top........ old van

Just Googled 'ordinary' domestic cookers, couldn't find one with a glass cover .... so why use something dangerous in a camper/caravan ??........ same goes for sinks..... ??

Or is it harder to find the hob and sink in a camper ??:whistle:

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We were very lucky on Thursday travelling to Benidorm, we stopped on the services, put kettle on for a drink, when kettle had boiled I turned the gas tap off,we had dinner and before I drove off I put the length of pipe insulation we use to stop rattling under front of glass lid and off we set. I drove approx 130 miles towards Barcelona and pulled in services for something to eat and instantly smelt burning rubber, the cooker lid was quite hot and I noticed that on our earlier stop instead of turning the hot plate off I had turned it to low setting. The pipe insulation had made a 2 inch air gap and with driving with windows open it must have kept the full heat off the glass lid and slightly melted the pipe insulation.

John.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We were very lucky on Thursday travelling to Benidorm, we stopped on the services, put kettle on for a drink, when kettle had boiled I turned the gas tap off,we had dinner and before I drove off I put the length of pipe insulation we use to stop rattling under front of glass lid and off we set. I drove approx 130 miles towards Barcelona and pulled in services for something to eat an distantly smelt burning rubber, the cooker lid was quite hot and I noticed that on our earlier stop instead of turning the hot plate off I had turned it to low setting. The pipe insulation had made a 2 inch air gap and with driving with windows open it must have kept the full heat off the glass lid and slightly melted the pip insulation.

John.
You were a lucky boy. On the last van after lighting the TecTower oven I kept smelling burning and there was smoke coming out of the oven roof vent. Note: to self, remove ant-rattle tea cloth before lighting oven.

OP
OP
MikeD

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I do wonder what would have happened if we were not there

Another thread for unexplained motorhome Fire me thinks.

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
happened on our old lunar, opened door glass everywhere, worked out sun had shone through roof window straight onto sink cover , cooker top was red hot too.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
There is a slide out bit of metal just above he grill that is meant to shield the Knobs from the heat. It rattles like the devil on ours :(
Yes, I always pull it right out, makes no difference.
Do you get any heat from either grill or oven, coming up through the vents in the centre of the hob top?

OP
OP
MikeD

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Yes, I always pull it right out, makes no difference.
Do you get any heat from either grill or oven, coming up through the vents in the centre of the hob top?

Yes. Quite a bit of heat comes up through the centre vent.

Do u have a sticker on your cooker lid warning about operating a ring with the lid down?

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
Surely it is impossible to accidentally switch on a gas hob? You would have to accidentally push in the knob and accidentally turn it to the lighting position whilst accidentally pressing the ignitor switch!

OP
OP
MikeD

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Surely it is impossible to accidentally switch on a gas hob? You would have to accidentally push in the knob and accidentally turn it to the lighting position whilst accidentally pressing the ignitor switch!

I would agree with that but electric hob is just a fairly soft click to turn it on.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Yes. Quite a bit of heat comes up through the centre vent.

Do u have a sticker on your cooker lid warning about operating a ring with the lid down?

I get no heat through those vents so maybe we have an install problem.

No we don't have a sticker but would take it as read that must not operate with lid down and I have had a good read through the manual. We hired a camper in New Zealand with a glass lid to hob and it did have a very large sticker. A lot of hire vehicles in NZ and I did see through the window, a group of youngsters trying to cook on the glass lid with gas on but didn't wait to see results!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back