ever done it and would you admit it (1 Viewer)

beltsandbraces

Free Member
Feb 14, 2017
worthing
Funster No
MH
lunar 780
Exp
happened to me once in the boating world and heard of many other people doing it, you get all ready and set off only to return and see your orange mooring rope dangling in the water having tripped your pontoon electrics. Not done it myself yet, as have not had the pleasure off our first trip out but has anyone driven off forgetting to unhook there electric hookup ???

OP
OP
beltsandbraces

beltsandbraces

Free Member
Feb 14, 2017
worthing
Funster No
MH
lunar 780
Exp
Never done it in all of the one year Ive been MH ing. :LOL: If you put it on your check list, you should never do it. Unless you are just moving and don't check your list.:rolleyes:
I have made a checklist, and removing the hook up is on it, this has been laminated and with me being the main driver I have passed the checklist onto the wife and explained this will be her job, so in the event we do, I will at least have someone else to blame!!!(y)

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Motorbikes have the same problem with disk locks, they usually have a curly cord to loop to the handlebars as a reminder. There must a way we could do this for MHs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
never done this yet (no van yeto_O) but when we camped, we'd always check around the pitch and vehicle BEFORE moving off, just a thought:whistle:

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Seen it done once. Post pulled out of ground. Cable held, but the socket on the consumer unit decided to release at what looked like maximum tension on the cable. Went flying through back window of caravan. Lots and lots of damage both to the site and the caravan...

I did yell out the window but he shot off like he was at the races... Damage was done by the time I got out of my van :(

The resulting argument was funny though. She was blaming him for driving off with it connected, he was blaming her because it was her job to do the final check. Red faces all round when the site owner came down. He was not amused...

That was before I went fulltiming. Not seen it happen in the 8 years I have been fulltiming though. Seen one or two posts taken out by people turning too close to the post. Once a caravan with a long overhang at the back, and once a tag axle motorhome... Gouges/holes in vehicle and flattened posts. No electric on site for hours after both events :(

Upvote 0

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I picked up a couple of "remove before Flight" tags to put on the steering wheel if I connect up. They are only to serve as a physical reminder that we are hooked up and as the require manual removal, that should prompt a check before moving off
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remove_before_flight
IMG_0133.PNG

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I've done it once leaving home. The wires ripped out of the socket at the van end and dropped into the inevitable puddle shorting out the whole house full of kids for the hour we were out (dropping the van off for a service)

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Once in France I pulled off the site and noticed people pointing at me - looked in mirroe and saw an "orange snake" closely following me!! :oops:

No damage - just to ego!!! :)

I did that but only noticed a few miles up the road on a dual carriageway! Tried to get into a layby to rescue it but a juggernaut caught me up to overtake and ran over it and tore the end of it to shreds so its now only about 20 metres long!

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Exactly, the poor little dog was frantic as he lost sight of the van. I sat with him for ages and the mrs went down to reception to ask them to phone the owners. the owner barely said thankyou when he came and fetched the dog
i used to work in dog rescue and tying dogs to trees, railings, gates, bins etc was always the cowards way of giving a dog up. truth is at least 70% of those abandoned like that were put to sleep within 7 days by the big name rescue in this country

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
nearly as bad as pulling off a site leaving your dog tied to a tree next to the pitch. not me, but i looked after the distressed dog till the shame faced owner returned some time later
We once drove off with our dog hitched to the towball. Luckily we were only driving slowly, and were quickly alerted by other campers.

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
To remind me, I have laminated an A4 sheet with EHU in large letters, which I put on the dash, obscuring the dials.

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
That is the stuff that nightmares are made of

No. ... this is the thing that nightmares are made of ....

About 30 years ago I ran over my four year old son!

We were camping in a very soggy South of France in our VW Camper. I was going off to do some shopping and duly uncoupled the drive-away awning, and seeing my son playing at the front of the awning, started the engine, and began to reverse. What I didn't expect was for him to hear the engine start, run into the awning, and dive under the zipped down side, emerging just by the front wheel!

The wheel went completely over his leg, at about knee level, resulting in terrifying screams. Luckily, the ground was so soft that his leg was forced into the ground, and no actual damage was done, but just typing this is making me feel funny, remembering what a tragedy it could have been.

It's the only time I have been grateful that the ground was soft, when camping.

Upvote 0

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
I was running late for the mot on Tuesday, removed the steering lock but forgot the wheel clamp.

I am pleased to announce it was very effective, the Moho pulled forward 4 inches then stopped very ubruptly. Fortunately no damage done and once removed got to mot with two mins to spare.

There was no hiding my mistake as my wife had heard it from inside the house.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back