Eurotunnel 'frequent traveller' offer (1 Viewer)

Sep 5, 2013
Dordogne, france
Funster No
MH
Rapido 696FF
Exp
since 2013
Apologies if this has been covered before.
Could anyone who has the standard frequent traveller ticket offer please advise as to whether they let you on earlier shuttles if you arrive a bit early/late or is it a very strict 'travel on your allocated slot' scenario?
The Eurotunnel blurb small print says its allocated crossings only on the £44 tickets.

Thinking of taking up the minimum 10 trip basic offer and paying extra for M/H and dogs etc. but keen to know others experiences.
Many thanks
Jim

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we use it and have rarely used the crossing we booked

that is unless they ask for more money to change

we do only tend to arrive an hour or so early though

As far as I know you can amend the crossing FOC up to 24 hours before as well (y)

and you can share the package with someone for free, 5 crossings a year would be too many for us on our own

Another thing they are very strict on is the end date, it is the day before the date you create the account not first travel and you must have returned on or by that date

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
They let you change the crossings on line anyway. And if you turn up early they will always offer you an earlier time if one is available. If that time falls into their "peak" times then you will have to pay the £20 extra if you want it, otherwise it is at no extra cost.

As an example we were coming back through France and booked an 11am crossing a couple of days before hand, like we normally do. Ended up getting to Calais the night before, but didn't fancy a crossing at that time. So stayed at Cite Europe for the night. Because we were there early we decided to change the booking to one at about 9:30am, which we did on line from the car park at Cite Europe. Got up early the next day and decided to leave early. When we got there and booked in they offered us a 7:30 ish sailing for free so we chose that. Straight through security and customs and away we went.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
We share Frequent Traveller with another Funster. We normally arrive at the terminal early and have always been offered an earlier slot with no extra charge. We have never bothered to change the time online beforehand.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
We share Frequent Traveller with another Funster. We normally arrive at the terminal early and have always been offered an earlier slot with no extra charge.
We don't have the frequent traveller but use Tesco clubcard points and most times when early have been offered a slot on the train before our booked one but have to pay if before that. Does the F T scheme allow earlier trains free?

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We use it and love it (partnered with David above). We have often arrived early, taken our alphabetical letter (R etc) to customer services and been put onto the next train free of charge.

We have also when checking in early at the machines been offered another departure time. I think they treat us differently than when we were just crossing with our tesco points.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
FT. You buy 10 crossings (5 returns) which can be shared with one other named person @ £44 each (car price) You pay up front £440 and it lasts for 12 months from the first day you pay. When you book you have to pay another £11 each way ET call you a "campervan" ANY LENGTH, extra for trailers.

If I remember the off peak times are from about 4pm till about midnight going out and returning from about 6am till midday. If you miss a crossing they put you down as trip not taken. Normally so long as you phone about 24 hours before you want to alter day/times there is no charge.

On our most recent trip in the Chunnel 18 October, there was a electricity cut and we were delayed in the tunnel for 3.5 hours. ET wrote us to say how sorry they were for the delay and they felt that we should not pay for that crossing, they have just given a credit of £54 on my card. But as well as that they have given me a voucher for £54 for ANOTHER crossing, how good is that.

It's nice that companies ET look after their customers what a pity more don't.

colyboy

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
On our most recent trip in the Chunnel 18 October, there was a electricity cut and we were delayed in the tunnel for 3.5 hours.
Thank for the cost breakdown (y) What was it like being stuck in the tunnel for that long? :eek:

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Agree with previous posters however we have found this year you can change crossings online upto much closer to departure. At the end of summer one of the most busiest weekends we had a late evening crossing back from Calais which was all that was available. Checked lunchtime and one was available and departing within 2 hours as we were fairly close in Belgium we were able to change and get an earlier crossing.

If its the really busy weekends you will often get diverted before you get to check in to the holding area so wont be able to use the check-in machines to change to an earlier departure anyways so always good to try both options.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
wombles

no hassle been stuck in the tunnel. you can get WiFi! and we always have scrabble.

colyboy

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Our last few trips using frequent traveller we have arrived 1 or 2 hours early, but haven't been offered an earlier crossing. Assumed it was just they were busy at the time.

However, like Mousy's suggestion to go to customer service desk to try to blag an earlier crossing - always worth a try! (y)

Billggski

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Stone
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
There is no limit to how many crossings you can take. If you share an account your own share can be whatever you want, and if you need more you can just book extra. Just make sure they understand which of you is booking, I had a cock up when they assumed I was the other person, it took ages to sort out.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
I have never changed a booking when using my frequent traveler. But that maybe because I only book my crossing a day or so in advance when I am pretty certain what our plans are. Trains must be booked 24 hours in advance. You need to be aware that the frequent traveler tickets are off peak tickets so you need to know what the times you can use it. Eurotunnel say you can only arrive up to two hours earlier than the planned departure time.
We crossed from Calais to Folkestone this morning (Thursday), I booked the crossing Tuesday afternoon and picked the 9:20 train. I arrive early and was offered the 8:15 train at no charge which we took. Eurotunnel also double up or partially double up trains. Watch out at the terminal as your letter may also appear against an earlier train. The only time I have been asked for money (£20) to take an earlier train was when the earlier train was in the peak time, I have booked the first train in the off-peak period. I declined and waited. That was when we got on the earlier train as our letter also appeared against the earlier one.

OP
OP
simplyjimbo
Sep 5, 2013
Dordogne, france
Funster No
MH
Rapido 696FF
Exp
since 2013
Many thanks for all your replies guys, some very useful information. All advice and experience is very welcome.

We live in France now, and have a M/H and cars so will book the 10 crossings and use them over a year to visit family and friends in your Country!
Just as a matter of interest, does anyone know what they class as 'peak time' for travel on the frequent traveller option. I cant see that they list it.
Cheers
Jim
P.S.
Electric hook-up here in the Dordogne for any Funsters passing through! www.laforetvillefranche.com

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Peak times and supplements
Supplement
Times Applicable Dates
Folkestone to Calais Calais to Folkestone
Off Peak 16:00 - 05:59 00:00 - 13:59 Applies to every day of the year
Standard Peak
(a £20 supplement will apply) 06:00 - 15:59 14:00 - 23:59 Applies to every day of the year excluding those listed under High Peak travel dates below
High Peak
(a £30 supplement will apply) 06:00 - 15:59 14:00 - 23:59 See table below
Trailer/ Caravan - Additional £43 each way
Campervan - Additional £11 each way
############################
2017 High Peak Travel Dates
Month January February March April May June
Dates 02/01-03/01 10/02-11/02
18/02-19/02 31/03 01/04
07/04-08/04
14/04-17/04 26/05-27/05
29/05 03/06-04/06
Month July August September October November December
Dates 15/07
21/07-22/07
28/07-29/07 04/08-06/08
11/08-13/08
18/08-20/08
25/08-28/08 02/09-03/09 20/10-21/10
28/10-29/10 none 22/12-23/12
29/12-30/12

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Many thanks for all your replies guys, some very useful information. All advice and experience is very welcome.

We live in France now, and have a M/H and cars so will book the 10 crossings and use them over a year to visit family and friends in your Country!
Just as a matter of interest, does anyone know what they class as 'peak time' for travel on the frequent traveller option. I cant see that they list it.
Cheers
Jim
P.S.
Electric hook-up here in the Dordogne for any Funsters passing through! www.laforetvillefranche.com
What a lovely place you have - and a kind and generous offer to Funsters! (y)

OP
OP
simplyjimbo
Sep 5, 2013
Dordogne, france
Funster No
MH
Rapido 696FF
Exp
since 2013
Thanks Wombles and Mikebeaches
We have 7 acres here, but unfortunately we are not allowed to do a permanent CFL on the land, as its classed as green belt. It's a bit bigger than our last place on a housing estate in Wiltshire!
We have had friends stay over in motorhomes and (ahem) caravans, but not on a long term basis.
:wine:
A bientot friends!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back