Euro tunnel ... Idiots!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by icantremember, Sep 15, 2014.

1. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Called Eurotunnel from Gravelines aire at 18.47 last evening to change our return booking to the soonest possible and was given a crossing at 04.45 this morning at £20 extra.

Arrived at French terminal at 03.30 this morning to be told we had missed out booking which they reckoned was yesterday morning, before my call even, so wanted to charge £170.:devil::doh:

After keeping us at the check in for half an hour they finally saw the error of their ways and said we could go on the 06.30 for £20 .... okay I agreed to this only to now be put on the 04.25.

In the past we have always found Et to be very efficient, although expensive, but after this fiasco I think we will revert to the ferry in future.

• Like Like x 1
  2. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Must have been a tiring time for you having to go through all that in the middle of the night. Hope you get home safely.

• Like Like x 2
  3. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Thanks, we are going to spend a few days in Kent now.

4. Inthezone

Inthezone Read Only Funster

We came back yesterday through the tunnel, was at Gravelines Friday night, rocked up a few hours early and asked the girl in the kiosk and she said no proplem had achoice of three trains, before the one we were booked on.

5. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

Although I prefer ferries, I think on the right day you could have just as much frustration with any of the ferry companies too. If you've always had good service from EuroTunnel then it seems a shame to smite them because of one error on a last minute booking change. Maybe things will look better to you after a few days.

Hope it didn't spoil the rest of your trip. Did you swing by Düsseldorf for the show in the end? :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Always found eurotunnel to be pretty efficient tbh. They would have to be regularly rubbish for us to forgo the convenience they offer.
    We ended up on a carriage with no Aircon on our last trip back and got a full refund a month of so later.

• Like Like x 2
  7. icantremember

icantremember Funster

That has been our previous experience but in this case we were originally booked for the 28th but needed to get back 2 weeks early .... They were happy to change the booking but ended up trying to put us on a train that left 24 hours earlier ... hence "IDIOTS"

8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

trouble is you have tried to do the right thing by ringing ahead and sorting it 'properly', with hind sight you would have probably done better just to turn up and change at the terminal, nothing better than face to face franglais

but I agree with the idiot bit ref booking you onto a train that had already gone :doh:

• Like Like x 1
  9. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Frustrating ands annoying yes, but one person made one mistake which was then rectified. Hardly a reason to brand them idiots and never darken their doorstep again is it.

• Like Like x 3
  10. 100brian

100brian Read Only Funster

have to agree with you always found them much better that the ferries.

11. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Trouble is though, you weren't the one stood at Calais at 03:30 in the morning discussing a booking you had only made a few hours earlier

I don't think I would have been best pleased either

12. autoswan

autoswan Funster

My ferry caught us for an extra £80 when we returned on a flexi ticket a few weeks back arriving at calais port a couple of days earlier than the date we were told we had to roughly pick but not held to, hence the flexi part !
    Last year we turned up when we wanted near the date again on a flexi ticket same routine and no problem !

13. iandsm

iandsm Funster

True, and not a pleasing experience, but I never will be travelling at such an hour unless there is a very very urgent indeed need to get back.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Would love to go via the tunnel, but with costs of a tad over £60 more per direction it is just WAY WAY too expensive

• Like Like x 3
  15. icantremember

icantremember Funster

You are probably right and we'll most likely use them again.

We didn't get up into Germany at all as we are having problems with the van with was the reason we wanted to get back early.

16. icantremember

icantremember Funster

It was not just the booking error, anyone can make a mistake, but the way they kept us waiting at the check in for half an hour at 03.30 in the morning while insisting it was our fault ... so IDIOTS they remain in my eyes.

• Like Like x 2
  17. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Neither would we but we wanted to get back and they insisted all the other trains were fully booked, which also proved untrue.

• Like Like x 1
  18. B-well

B-well Funster

Both the tunnel and ferry companies have stories to be told at being unhelpful, One experience i had on ferry re arriving early was trying to be charged extra, drove out of gate and straight back into another kiosk operator, no probs she said you can catch the next ferry. Now this is okay if tariff was the same but this was a dearer sailing.
    I do think its all down to the integrity of the operator in the booths, some go by the book and some are more helpful, after all if you managed to get on with no extra costs you are likely to use that company again. Now the tunnel is excellent for the children to get out and look at the fish but thats another story.

• Like Like x 2
  19. icantremember

icantremember Funster

The initial total cost for our return journeys, at reasonable travel times, was £173 .... so are you saying John the boat is only about £50 return? If so we shall definitely use boats in future

20. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Funny you should say that. I've always thought there wasn't much in it or even the tunnel a little cheaper.

I've just had a look for fun to travel 7PM tonight and return 7PM tomorrow night, 2 adults, 7.4m MH:

Ferry (P&O, Dover - Calais) £178
    Tunnel £132

I guess it depends when you travel but whenever I've looked thats about an average price for the tunnel.

• Like Like x 1