English Heritage or nt

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by mitzimad, Sep 12, 2013.

1. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

anyone recomend which is better to join as a member we quite often dont go into either due to cost but my son has offered to buy one or the other as a xmas gift

2. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

I'd go for NT. We tried EH and found that many of their properties were empty ruins rather than houses that you could walk round. EH do have a few places worth a visit but nowhere near as many.

Wyn

3. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

It depends very much on what your interests are. NT tends to look after stately homes and gardens. EH focuses more on historic buildings and ruins. Have a look at the two websites and see what appeals to you. You might also want to consider the aims and objectives of the two organisations and see if one is more in line with your own views.

Finally, I think EH is cheaper than NT if that is a deciding factor.

4. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I firstly think that is a great present to be given, but then suggest that if funds permit, buy the other for yourselves as another gift, try them both for the year. You only have to visit about three places / year to break even on the costs. We are members of both and still cant really give you the answer.

Have fun whichever, or both

David

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Having been a victim of the way EH treats re-enactors at events which bring it a heck of a lot of income I wouldn't touch them with a dozen barge poles ever again.

Besides, when we were members we found very few places worth visiting.

6. Allanm

Allanm Funster

We were NT members but there were too many "Don't touch" signs everywhere. We always felt we were intruding. So, we have been with EH for years. It's good for us, we live close to Dover Castle and with just three or four visits a year there and we have got our money back. There's always plenty going on
    But, I suppose you need to consider what's near you of where you travel, to see who runs the properties you want to see
    Allan

7. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

We do both. English Heritage is cheaper and has atmospheric castle ruins as a speciality. National Trust concentrates on stately homes with pretty furniture, along with coastal car parks. Decide which you prefer.

8. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

Perhaps I should not tell you this but if you join Scottish National Trust it is cheaper and allows reciprocal free entry to all NHS trust UK.

As we live in Scotland we joined Scottish NHt and then found out later we could have free access to all Uk NT properties on a reciprocal basis

Norman

9. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

EH membership can get you 2 for 1 discounts at some non-EH sites - certainly the case where I work anyway.

10. paulmold

paulmold Read Only Funster

There is also a reciprocal arrangement with New Zealand's Historic Places Trust which you can join from the UK. Not only can you visit NT properties, you can also visit EH properties and the cost of joining the NZHPT is as below.....

Membership is available for families, individuals, senior citizens and students. The annual cost for each category is:
    • Family (two adults and children at school) $69
    • Individual $64
    • Joint Senior Citizen (retired person 60 years or over, plus one other person at same address) $50
    • Senior Citizen (retired person 60 years or over) $45
    • Student (full time)/Unwaged $45
    • Life $995
    • Joint Life (two adults at same address) $1295.
    there is a charge for sending membership pack overseas of $10..

for all details see here...

http://www.historic.org.nz/Membership.aspx

and click on 'membership benefits' for a list of reciprocal agreements.

11. Viennese

Viennese Funster

Allan, I think you will find that NT's policy has changed a lot in the last few years and they are not nearly as protective as they used to be. No need to feel that you are intruding - if you are a member that place belongs to you!! Besides which the cafes have great food, and they have good shops. If you pay by direct debit it's much cheaper and members of more than 5 years who are over 60 get a good reduction - I love it. And it's more than just stately homes - they also have acres of beautiful countryside AND several campsites.

This Saturday (tomorrow!) is Heritage Open day when many NT properties are open for FREE - see the list at http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/article-1356392530547/

Catherine

12. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

If you are planning to tour Pembrokeshire I would say NT.

Almost all the beach car parks are NT and the charges are £3.50 a day.

Saved me a packet over Easter and the summer:thumb:

13. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Hmmmmm ! I wonder ?

One ( I think ) dubious practise that the N.T. employs is the 12 months for the price of 9 !!:RollEyes:

3 months of the year they are closed !..:Doh::Doh::Doh:

O.K,....so some of the car parks are open ( I use Kynance Cove in the Winter )

.............. + ............

Edit ! ..........Nat T membership for 2 wrinklies.......£69

Scottish N.T. ditto £44........Guess which one I will be joining next year !

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013