Engine size advice please

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Detnor, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Detnor

Detnor Funster

Over the last 25 years, always had vans of a similar spec., 6-6.5m long, 3500kg and engine sizes increasing from 2.5 litre (1991 Kon Tiki 600/5) to our current 6m Hymer with a 3.0 litre fiat engine.
    I'm going to look at a 7m van next week, automatic, 4200kg but with a 2.2 litre Merc (163hp) engine.
    Before taking a test drive, I'd appreciate any feedback regarding the smaller engine, what's the informed view on the performance - thanks.

2. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

The Euro emission control standard ( Euro 4 / 5 / 6 ) for example, can affect engine performance, as can whether a DPF is fitted or not.

What year is the M.H. / engine ?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

We've got a 4.2 tone A class with a 150bhp 2.3 litre engine
    Drives a treat and is economical too, averaging over 30 mpg at 2000 revs on motorway (60 mph)
    Will easily travel at 70 mph
    I understand that Fiat has now discontinued larger engines

• Like Like x 1
  4. milliethehymer

milliethehymer Funster

Our 7m Hymer has the 163 bhp 2.2 engine with auto box, although our van is a nit lighter having been up plated from 3500 to 3850.

It seemed a but light on power when it was new, but 2,500 miles later it's certainly freed up.

Interestingly, when driving up the M5 yesterday I did mention to Swmbo that I was glad we didn't opt for the bigger Merc engine as it would be a waste of money. I like to cruise at 55 to 60 even on dual carriageway or motorway, and it's happy at that speed whether on flat or uphill. It also has enough power in reserve to get the wrong side of 70 quickly should the need arise.

Generally runs at around 11L per 100Km which is about 25 mpg.

We have the cruise control too, which if you can get it is a great feature. Merc cruise control doesn't let speed drop uphill, and will brake on downhill sections so as to avoid the thing running away.

Given the speed restrictions on a heavier van, I'd think you'll be fine with a 2.2 163 bhp Merc power unit.

But this is just my opinion!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. jonegood

jonegood Funster

IMO where the 3 litre Fiat comes into its own is on the hills, we re rarely off cruise control.

Theres an old Motorcycle maxim - Horsepower sells bikes but torque wins races.

I Know the 2.3 fiat are belt driven whereas the 3 litre is chain, Mercs used to be chains but might be worth checking.

Jon

• Like Like x 1
  6. busby

busby Funster

i used to drive a 32 ton truck with only a 150 bhp Gardener engine in it. 500 miles most days...

• Like Like x 3
  7. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

TTW!!! Torque Turns Wheels, its the oldest saying in the motor industry. Modern diesels turn out stump pulling torque from almost idling revs and the 2.2 Merc lump is no exception. Fear not, it will have far more performance available than you will want to use.

D.

• Like Like x 1
  8. musson

musson Funster

We had a 2.3 130bhp and changed to 3ltr, comformatic 2012 up to now have not noticed any difference in fuel consumption
    but have to say it is a lot better to drive.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jonegood

jonegood Funster

.........before tachos and speed limiters? not that speed was probably much of a problem but driving hours would set VOSA alight!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

We've had a 2.2 Mercedes for a couple of years now & apart from the EGR needed cleaning, its been perfect to drive. I was used to the 2.7 & 3.0 Mercedes as ambulances, to tell you the truth,the bigger engine simply isn't required in normal running. The Mercedes cam is chain driven.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

5.25t tag axle autotrail with a 2.3 Fiat lump in it.. To be fair it aint that economic at around 21-22 mpg