Engine remap Ducato 3.00 160

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by martin2603, Jun 16, 2014.

1. martin2603

martin2603 Funster

I have just returned from our last excursion around East Anglia following the remap of the 3.0 Ducato . the power increase was from 157 to 197bhp and proportionate torque increase, resulting in fuel consumption dropping from 20.5 mpg to 23.5mpg when towing which effectively gives another 50miles out of a tank. When not towing 26mpg. The remap was done by CIT-TECH from Maidstone in Kent. Cost £250.00
    As we use the MH a lot it will not take too long to recoup the investment.

Martin2603:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

good luck with that, especially if its a manual gearbox. 197bhp through a weak transmission, especially the dual mass clutch and flywheel. stupid money to replace soon works out an expensive upgrade.....bet they didn't tell you that before selling you the remap

3. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

It will probably be ok but don't let the engine labour at low revs - keep it up around the 2000 Mark. Also suggest using premium diesel such as VPower, it will smoke a hell of a lot less............ Fantastic power and torque but really watch the clutch

4. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

I still don't understand why a generic remap costs £250 plus when remapping my race car on a rolling road (which took five hours of skilled work) cost £395 inc VAT! Profit margins must be pretty good in this remap lark, half an hour (I'm being generous) with a laptop to remap a motor and it can even be done in a field at a show!

At least with my remap I saw the work being done, I saw the results being recorded and every step was explained to me, I even have the software to read and adjust the map myself if I feel the need.

But for £250 (or more) a bod comes along with a laptop and uploads a generic remap to "improve" what Bosch/Siemens etc and the vehicle manufacturers spent millions on developing?

I just really don't get why its so expensive to upload a generic remap when for less than twice as much my car was done with a custom map, no actually it has three custom maps (switchable ECU) which are customised to the vehicle and my requirements.

Can someone please explain this generic remapping to me 'cos I just don't get it!

D.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Rather you than me, I'll leave mine as is

6. DuxDeluxe

Good point, Mr Newell, sir...... Some companies charge even more

7. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

I guess that's what people will pay so they will charge it, basic business (good business).

Martin

8. aba

aba

Surely 157 bhp is enough for a commercial van based motorhome.

Let's face it most 7.5 ton delivery trucks are around 150bhp.

Oh and if you run it on the premium diesel you have just lost any gains in economy by the increased price of the fuel.:Doh:

9. DuxDeluxe

My own figures showed it to be more economical on the premium stuff and spreadsheet calculations showed it to be cost neutral.

• Like Like x 2
  10. OllieUK

OllieUK Read Only Funster

Im really ignorant to this normal deisel and premium deisel, what is the difference apart from the price.?

11. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

I suppose it must make sense....I guess, but I just don't understand this " remap" stuff, I have driven all sorts of motors, for what seems 100 years, and all of them, well, just went as quick as the manufacturer intended. My Transit just goes, it's fast enough, gets up to speed in a reasonable amount of time ( I'm on holiday in the MH) so why do I want the motor to do more than the maker intended? If I wanted more, I would have bought bigger/better!

Beats me. But I am sure somebody will put me right. :thumb::Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  12. DuxDeluxe

Premium diesel has a higher cetane number and releases more power when it burns - think of it as high octane diesel. Due to other additives it also has a cleaning effect on engines and anecdotally people have reported better running when they fill with it every now and again.

People have also reported better mpg, which I would certainly agree with based on own data, however there is a caveat in that it does not work for all. Perceived wisdom is that it works much better in high performance engines including remapped ones. Plenty of stuff on the internerd about it all - also a lot of rubbish as well. Bottom line is that if the user feels better about it, then why not? I ran my 3 litre only on VPower or ultimate but current van runs on bog standard fuel

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  13. martin2603

martin2603 Funster

Well that certainly generated some comment!

Having run diesel goods vehicles for the last 30years from Ford D 0710 , merc 814, 1317, Volvo, Scania and 2 Daf 430s it has become apparent that a higher power to weight ratio generates more efficient operating costs. Strangely not all of us have a lead right foot and a light use of the accelerator to keep the engine in the torque band just over 2k yields best results. Without generating any smoke! All Kontiki s are available now at 180bhp of course.

• Like Like x 2