engine power (1 Viewer)

A

Allan2426

Deleted User
I am a newbie to motorhomes. Previously we have caravanned for 35 years. Latest is a twin axle towed by a 3.0 L Nissan -165bhp. Total train weight, about 4000Kg.
The motorhomes we have viewed are almost exclusively 2.2 -130bhp with a Max permissble weight of 3500kg.
my question is:
Is this powerful enough engine without up/down on the gearbox at the smallest hill?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
if you have viewed 2.2l then they are probably looking at the Peugot version of the Fiat 2.3ltr 130 BHP. i have as many others the Fiat 2.3 130 Bhp on currnt low profile van at 3.5T and drives dream and on the motorway have to watch your speed. its easy to exceed 70 mph. our last van had 130 bhp Fiat on a 4T chassi and high profile over cab, driving was equally fine except in strong winds when fuel consumption was affected if you wanted to keep up speed and Hills neede 5th not 6th gear.
hope that help.

oh and Welcome to the Forum..:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
My previous van was an older Ducato with a 2.2 lump in it.. The van was a 3.8t Hobby, and being a bit older was built like a brick, absolutely useless aerodynamically !!
Yet the old girl dragged us all over Europe and on one memorable trip up the Furka Pass with 4 adults and two teenagers inside and a very proper ( read industrial strength ) motorcycle trailer with three big bikes hanging off the back ( yep, that one DID slow us down !!!! )
But 90% of the time it would bimble along without gear changes for many a mile

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I have a 2011 Peugeot based MH and it is 6 speed with a 2.2, 130 bhp motor.
The biggest problem I have is keeping to the speed limits. The speed soon creeps up when you are tootling along. I realise I am going way too fast when Mrs k goes quiet and I am passing everything. That's one of the reasons I am going to have cruise control fitted next week at Dave Newells.
One of the down sides of front wheel drive is that it wheel spins under power on just a damp road when you move off a bit "briskly". It is useless on wet grass so I am constantly looking for hard standing.

Madmark62

Free Member
Sep 28, 2011
Wakefield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Lesharo
Exp
I`m a newbie
We have a van that weighs 3.1 ton powered by a 80 bhp engine, not the fastest van in the world,,but then again its not for racing about, but also enjoying the journey as well as then destination.
You will have plenty of power with 130bhp.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
If you take any engine of that size.....then stick a motorhome body on it and six speed box then you would expect to change down for hills.....they are all a compromise of power and econemy........I dont very often go over 55mph with mine as I enjoy the ride and usually tow a trailer so limited to 60mph mine never changes out of top for any hill.....but then again I have 400 hp :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

All the best Rick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Hi Alan and welcome to Funsters. So long as you remember you're on holiday the moment you pull off the drive, you'll have all the power you need. You'll probably want to drive it in a way to make it last you a long time anyway, good luck searching.:thumb:
Geoff. (a near neighbour)

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Mines a 2.5 tdi fiat ducato 1997 about 100bhp.
It is not a sports car but pulls fine.
There seems to be a big difference between 4th and 5th (top) gear.
Will hold 60+ on the motorway all day though.
It seems ,as soon as we get over 60 the mpg goes down:cry: and we are probably making a carbon footprint the size of Wales !:Eeek:
I don`t want to speed though, i got a bike for that, just cruise along and chill , knowing we will be parked having a beer soon :thumb:
I observe all the reps and the white man van pulling their hair out ,trying to make haste---AHhhh :Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back