End of wilding at Loch Lomond national park ?

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by scotjimland, Jan 16, 2015.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Whilst not specifically aimed at motorhomes, sadly this proposed ban may have the effect of preventing staying in the national park area except on camp sites.
    When you see the mess left it's not hard to see why...

13 January 2015.

Hillwalking and mountaineering groups have joined together to hit out at a planned camping ban in parts of a Scottish national park.
    A consultation into measures aimed at combating vandalism and anti-social behaviour in the Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park closed on Monday.

Read more

2. movan

movan Funster Life Member

:(

3. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

Another case of a few thoughtless motor homers spoiling it for the rest of us. :mad:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

When we were there it was the yobs from Glasgow! They buy a cheap tent from poundsrus go up to the loch for the weekend then leave the tent and all their crap behind when they leave!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Daveg

Daveg Funster

The pictures make it look like an invasion of neds rather than Motorhomers - discarded pop up tents, a Stella box and the clincher - a burned out car.

Appalling.

Dave

• Like Like x 1
  6. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Having read much of the info before this I think you will find that the majority of the camping /drinking parties that cause much of the problem is students although there have been complaints at motor homers emptying cassettes into the Loch. It baffles me why people want to desecrate the countryside in this way. What happened to the old rules of 'leave nothing behind you except footprints and take nothing away apart from memories.'

• Like Like x 7
  7. Fletton

Fletton Funster

It's a shame when they Legislate for the lowest common denominator - rather than using a bit of common!!!... A sign of the times... along with the rest of todays stupid "rules" .....

• Like Like x 2
  8. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Once upon a time of you saw people doing this you would remonstrate with them and have back-up. Not now as you would probably get a mouth full of bad language at best.

9. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

I would have pressed the 'like' button but that seems wrong.... I agree with you entirely (and you'd risk being on the sharp end of a blade too) :(

• Like Like x 2
  10. EzeeRider

EzeeRider Read Only Funster

I thought they had clamped down a couple of years ago. How far have they got with the 5Lochs Plan
    which had the aim of reducing anti social behaviour and providing more controlled areas for camping including overnight facilites for motorhomes?
    Ezee

11. bryandh

bryandh Funster

A sweeping assumption that damage is being caused by motor homers........ what is your source? The article highlighted by the OP does not lay the blame on any specific group..... why do you assume MH users are solely responsible?

Bryan

• Like Like x 1
  12. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

In all the times we have travelled to aires, campsites, or wild camping I have only seen bad behaviour once. This was a French family on an aire who dumped their waste into a drain much to the disgust of everybody.
    Why do the scumbag few have to give us all a bad reputation ?
    Phil

13. keith

keith Funster

A very sensible and relevant reply to the proposed changes to by-laws can be read here.
    Not everyone has the same view of motor-homers and this article is more on the support side than draconian legislation aimed at us.

Further info on the 5 Lochs plan.
    News and updates of improvements in the 5 Lochs area of Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park

• Like Like x 1
  14. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

Bryan, don't be so defensive, I wrote my reply while jet lagged after travling half way round the world and stupidly didn't read the report just answered after seeing the bit about banning motorhome etc but what I do assume is a shared responsibility, In that we should, if possible, encourage others not to litter and report those that do.
    Love and peace to you Bryan. :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

We were wilding all along the west coast of Scotland for over a month last year during June and July. At many of the spots we stopped at there sadly was a lot of mess left I believe by those staying under canvas. The remains of camp fires, debris such as beer cans and bags of rubbish scattered about. When we could we had a bit of a clear up, it made us feel better to leave a spot tidier than when we arrived!

• Like Like x 6
  16. thebay

thebay Read Only Funster

Having been wild camping in our motorhome for a few years I just can not understand why when people like us clean up every where we go We even go around cleaning others mess up so as not to be stopped

• Like Like x 1
  17. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

yes indeed... but I guess because not every motorhomer is as thoughtful..
    the forums have plenty of stories of motorhomers dumping cassette toilets and or grey waste inappropriately.. only takes one to give all a bad name.

welcome to the forum.. :welc:

18. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Ive just got home from Loch Lomond today after been wilding for the weekend, and like "the bay " says we clean when we are there and the place is much cleaner than when we arrived.
    The biggest culprits are the youngsters camping on the beach. I know this from seeing it and not hearsay.

19. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The problem is both are true and councils do not have the resources to police places as much as necessary. The result is that they, perfectly understandably, take steps to minimise the cost to those who are in neither group.

20. big bertha

big bertha Funster

Hope you had a good time Sandra, will still text to remind you about screens.:D

• Like Like x 1