Electrics (1 Viewer)

Northy

Free Member
Jul 15, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
Exp
Hi anyone have any advice on how to fix this problem, I have a 2003 Swift Kon Tiki and just recently the step has stopped retracting automaticly when the engine is switched on. Also the electrics in the habitation area remain on when the engine is running (Which it didn't used to). I presume that there is a switch or relay somewhere that has gone but I'm not sure where to look.

Northy :Doh:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I suggest there is a fuse blown. The reason for that is the step needs servicing it has become tight drawing more current causing the fuse to blow. Cure the fault then replace the fue.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi
my fuse box is under the passenger seat at the back..lrge panel all itemised..(also the one for the step)....mine is the newer model 2008 fiat, but it may help where to look.
Mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
Your habitation control box gets a signal from somewhere within the engine electrical system to let it know when to retract the step, disable the habitation lights, retract the satellite dish etc.

On mine, that signal was obtained from the ignition side of the brake-light switch on the brake pedal. On mine that wire between the brake light switch and the habitation system had been badly installed and had shorted out on the chassis and blown the brake-light fuse in the engine fuse box. This meant I had no brake lights which was bad enough, but worse, my satellite dish didn't automatically retract, the leisure battery didn't charge from the engine, and the fridge wouldn't work on 12V.

Your fault may be different but could also involve something similarly simple.

clwyd

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Ruthin, N. Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Ign. device fuse

Suggests to me not the step fuse though, rather one which supplies the IGN ON voltage which causes the step to retract (& lights to turn off). Find which other devices don't work and replace this fuse - check why this might have blown - it's probably not the Step that's faulty IMHO.

SwiftGroup

Free Member
Jan 10, 2008
Funster No
Hi Northy,

It sounds like your vehicle has "lost" its engine run signal, and hence the step is not retracting.

The 2003 vehicles took the D+ (engine run signal) from a relay box mounted to the center of the engine bay. The box cover is secured by two brass screws, and underneath are a number of relays and fuses. First, check the fuses are OK. IF they are, use a multi-meter and make sure the blue wire, coming of the bottom of the relay box has a 12V supply.

This wire connects directly to the alternator, so try to find the break in the connection, if possible.

I hope that helps.

Ash

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back