Electrical hook up on Aires - France

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by PhilandMena, Sep 11, 2008.

1. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Hi,
    Can anyone explain to me how you obtain electricity from the Aires in France?
    Do you park next to the service station and plug in! Wouldn’t this prevent other users from using the service point!

I would be grateful for an explanation!

Regards,
    Philip.

2. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

Hi Phillip

Have never used this facility on an aire myself, but have seen others using it.
    You plug your mains lead into the van and connect to the electric outlet on the borne. Put your money in and hey presto electric hook up is available for whatever time you are allowed or have paid for. As most people have a mains lead of 25 metres length, they park as far away from the borne as practically possible so as to allow others use of its facilities.

3. Reveuse

Reveuse Read Only Funster

As Brisey says. Provided your hookup cable is a reasonable length and there is room on the aire, you should not find yourself needing to park so close to the service point that you would obstruct another van.

If it doesn't come on straight away after you have hooked up (and put your money in if applicable) press some buttons. Sometimes there are no instructions on what to do - but if you press every button you can see, one of them will probably switch the leccy on. :Wink:

4. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

Hi, Philip

There are various types of electric points on Aires in France, there are those that are incorporated into the Bourne's which you use by attaching your normal Euro plugged hookup cable and siting your MH so it won't stop people using the other Bourne facilities, you then enter your money and you will obtain a set amount of electricity usually enough to charge your battery etc, you can continue to enter more money as and when you need it but you must take account of other Aire users who may want to use that electric point, usually just ask?

On other Aires you may find electric points spread around which if one is free just connect to it, sometimes you can ask if there are no free points if someone minds you doubling up most of the time they will let you albeit you may need to supply a split cable for this to happen

Some of the Aires supply electricity free some include it within the standard price some charge you extra if you actually connect, and some don't supply any electricity

hope that helps

5. TweetiePie

TweetiePie Read Only Funster

(Some of the Aires supply electricity free some include it within the standard price some charge you extra if you actually connect, and some don't supply any electricity)

Hi, there are plenty of aires are free with free 'lecy, just plug in, if the point is being used just ask if you can connect to it, it pays to carry "splitters" so that both (or sometimes even four or five !! :cry: ) can use it, as long as no one overloads the point there is usually no problem. Two years ago the fridge refused to work on gas :Doh: so we planned our route using aires with free 'lecy, it was a bit like a zig zag but at least the fridge worked and the local community got the trade they expect to get for giving you it free.
    I f you purchase the french aires book it tells you which aires have free 'lecy, it's all in french but we have no problem understanding it........:Blush:
    Last year we went to France and Spain for 7 weeks and only paid for 3 nights on camp sites, but don't forget to spend in the village where the aire is or soon there will be none left ...:thumb:

6. TweetiePie

TweetiePie Read Only Funster

sorry

Sorry, I forgot to say that I agree with braunston in the quote in my last post.......I wasn't being rude braunston just incase you think I was :Smile:.......sorry
    Robley

7. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Thanks again to one and all, I love this website, a great membership who are always willing to pass on their knowledge!

Keep safe,
    Philip