LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
We started off with a couple of £399.00 Hopper folders from Tesco had them 3 years and they were great even rode them up the Cols in France, we decided to upgrade them last year and purchased 2 E-Ranger Cruisers at the Malvern show, we used them in September while in France I could get about 50 miles out of the battery on mine the wife got slightly less but she had had a hip replacement in February so not quite back to full fitness, not the cheapest bikes but quite well specified for £995,00 and I was told how to enable/disable the throttle if needed and they suit us.

Feb 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer T class
Exp
Not sure on the weight, only can say I am just 5'2 and can easily pick it up to put on the back of bike rack.
Do remove the battery first

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The old addage applies IMO 'you get what you pay for'. Don't buy a twist and go chinese effort.
Very true, it you buy cheap ones because you don't think you will use them much you probably won't. If you buy some half decent one and they are a pleasure to ride chances are you will use them a lot more and will be more cost effective £/mile.

You can save quite a bit buying in Germany. We went for mid range bikes as we didn't want to spend a fortune, the Scotts we brought cost under £1700 each from Germany they were £2200 in the UK. They have now gone up to £2800 in the UK but can be brought in Germany for under £2k

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Kalkhoff include premium price £2995 + £125 for brooks saddle and leather handle bar grips (belt driven) I love it(y) 125 kilometers range between charge's
http://www.50cycles.com/

1475858931_includei8blacl.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
My wife has had two electric bikes.

One, a Raleigh, cost £995 and the motor totally failed when it was three years old.

She now has an electric bike we bought in France from a "Norauto" outlet, similar to our Halfords.

It cost us £160 and is still going strong in its third year. It is not lightweight but, at that price, takes some beating. Others on the Forum have bought them since I first posted about them. They are still available but nearer the £200 mark now.

What you pay should be governed by your wallet and how much you are going to use it. If you are going to use it only occasionally is it wise to spend thousands of pounds on it when you could use the money to have, say, a holiday. If you are going to use it every day a higher level of investment may be called for.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I was going to ask,,what is wrong with a push bike,,good exercise,,no problem with a flat battery,,couple of pints and its recharged and much cheaper to buy,,BUSBY:D:D
In my wife's case two artificial knees preclude putting too much weight on the pedals when slogging up a hill, so the e-bike is great for her. I still use leg power only for my bike.

We sometimes get the odd funny look when we arrive at the top of a long hill with her pedalling serenely away and me puffing a bit. I reckon they feel she is much fitter than me.;)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
In my wife's case two artificial knees preclude putting too much weight on the pedals when slogging up a hill, so the e-bike is great for her. I still use leg power only for my bike.

We sometimes get the odd funny look when we arrive at the top of a long hill with her pedalling serenely away and me puffing a bit. I reckon they feel she is much fitter than me.;)

Bet you need more beer than her then,,BUSBY:):)

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Just purchased two Raleigh Motus bikes - great to ride - reasonable price

We have 2x Raleigh Motus - had them nearly 2 years now - great machines!! :)

Just this minute finished loading them on to the bike rack as we are on the ferry to Bilbao tonight :D

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Anyone know the weight of a motus less the battery please?
Cannot find out on web!

Around 20kg - if my memory serves me correctly - we have 2 - brilliant bikes!

Jan 11, 2011
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Consort Reef 2
Exp
since 1990
We think so .My wife being quite short went for the petit bike and the battery will last 35+ miles mine is the larger one with a 40 mile range called in on way back from holiday to try and to see. If I could fit mine in the m/h garage and test ride all good very pleased

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
We started out with two second-hand AS Bikes which we upgraded after several years to more powerful bikes. Our present bikes are almost three years old and the only problem in all that time has been the bearings in one pedal, immediately replaced free of charge by Peter, the dealer, who has always been there if any adjustments were called for.
Sadly the wonderful throttle drive became illegal in all of Europe including the UK last January. I have seen many electric bikes but still prefer ours.
Cheap Chinese? AS Bikes are built in China to the dealers specifications and quality of materials.

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Had 2 "cheap " Chinese bikes originally but changed them for German made bikes, lot lighter and much better ride.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We have 2x Raleigh Motus - had them nearly 2 years now - great machines!! :)

Just this minute finished loading them on to the bike rack as we are on the ferry to Bilbao tonight :D

Weather is looking better next week,,good luck,,BUSBY,,

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
Thank you. Our door mounted bike rack is rated at 38kgs so might risk the extra 2!

I'm sure it will stand a lot more than 38kg - that will be a very conservative estimate I would think!

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
I bought a Pro-rider Wayfarer folder last July was throttle but converted it to thumb "walk assist" and its a great little bike .Not the prettiest but quality is good for money and after service very good. Any bike under a grand will be chinese .
We bought a Pro-Rider Wayfarer bike last summer. We had a Pro-Rider Road King disability scooter before that and found the firm very helpful I love the bike and it has a good range, with lights and lithium battery.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thank you. Our door mounted bike rack is rated at 38kgs so might risk the extra 2!

It is not just the total weight that you need to consider, the effect of going over a ramp or rut could greatly increase the effect

I'm sure it will stand a lot more than 38kg - that will be a very conservative estimate I would think!

Please do NOT overload the PVC rear door bike rack! They are actually rated at a maximum of 35kg not 38kg ... this is something that I was concerned about so made sure our e-bikes were 17kg each without the battery, allowing for a lock that's 35kg.

http://www.leisureoutlet.com/suv-mi...ato-pre-2006?gclid=CNyzmMn41tECFROZGwodmAwH4g

If you overload them they are likely to damage your door so could prove to be an expensive buy!

We got some Prorider Wayfarer ones originally but found when they arrived that they were well over the weight we were told they were (mistake by the chap we rang to check) so they took them back without question and refunded us fully, and paid for the return courier so I can't knock the company for this - they were nice bikes too. Instead we bought a couple of Evora ones from bicycles4u.com and they are very nice to ride and smaller due to the battery being inside the frame. Once thing to watch out for with the Whoosh ones is that sometimes the batteries can only be charged in the bike itself, something which stopped us buying them, plus each cost approx £200 more.

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Please do NOT overload the PVC rear door bike rack! They are actually rated at a maximum of 35kg not 38kg ... this is something that I was concerned about so made sure our e-bikes were 17kg each without the battery, allowing for a lock that's 35kg.

http://www.leisureoutlet.com/suv-mi...ato-pre-2006?gclid=CNyzmMn41tECFROZGwodmAwH4g

If you overload them they are likely to damage your door so could prove to be an expensive buy!

We got some Prorider Wayfarer ones originally but found when they arrived that they were well over the weight we were told they were (mistake by the chap we rang to check) so they took them back without question and refunded us fully, and paid for the return courier so I can't knock the company for this - they were nice bikes too. Instead we bought a couple of Evora ones from bicycles4u.com and they are very nice to ride and smaller due to the battery being inside the frame. Once thing to watch out for with the Whoosh ones is that sometimes the batteries can only be charged in the bike itself, something which stopped us buying them, plus each cost approx £200 more.
Quite agree, our bike is heavy, so we carry it in the trailer with our disabled TGA Breeze scooter and if we go locally it folds up into a bag and goes in the van. We use the cycle rack for a smaller electric scooter.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
The Busbiker cycle rack, fitted, is currently 1850 euros, slightly more than £400! RoadPro are selling a similar but slightly cheaper one which they will demonstrate at NEC - also Dutch like BusBiker!

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
The old addage applies IMO 'you get what you pay for'. Don't buy a twist and go chinese effort.
I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for. However I did buy a twist and go Chinese bike from A.S. Bikes about 4 years ago and it still runs like a dream. What it does die then definitely in line for something decent with a Bosch crank.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The Busbiker cycle rack, fitted, is currently 1850 euros, slightly more than £400! RoadPro are selling a similar but slightly cheaper one which they will demonstrate at NEC - also Dutch like BusBiker!
Link Removed

Available from The Netherlands for €762.51 delivered.

Link Removed

Last edited:
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
This is not the same type as Judgemental's Busbiker which is not designed for tow bar fitting. The one I am interested in is the swing away Link Removed as I have a PVC and need to get the rear door accessible without demounting the bikes every time. This is sold by RoadPro at £1350. Price in Holland 1350 euros, both prices not including fitting. I was quoted 1850 euros with fitting in Holland, still negotiating with RoadPro See the video here.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
This is not the same type as Judgemental's Busbiker which is not designed for tow bar fitting. The one I am interested in is the swing away Link Removed as I have a PVC and need to get the rear door accessible without demounting the bikes every time. This is sold by RoadPro at £1350. Price in Holland 1350 euros, both prices not including fitting. I was quoted 1850 euros with fitting in Holland, still negotiating with RoadPro See the video here.
It seems a lot to pay to have it fitted! If you bought from Holland you'd save about £175 (£1=€1.15) which would surely pay for it to be fitted locally if you can't do it yourself.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back