Elddis Fire Storm Tow Bar

Discussion in 'Peugeot' started by degs, Oct 26, 2011.

1. degs

degs Read Only Funster

Is it possible to buy a tow bar to fit a 2009 Boxter van and fit to my motor home, a van T.B. is £75 and one for the Elddis is £250 odd. I am happy to cut and weld if necessary.
    Degs.:Smile:

2. aba

aba

on some conversions the chassis doesn't go all the way to the rear of the bodywork.
    if you have the alko chassis you must not drill it in any way shape or form but there are towbar fixing points on the side of the chassis on these.

i had a basic towbar fitted to my motorhome and all it really seems to do is catch the ground however i am going to address this issue shortly

depending on which chassis and the fabrication ability you have you may be able to make your own to fit from suitable channel & box section steel.

i have seen so called professional motorhome towbars that are nothing more than a 14" piece of 4"x 6mm channel section with 2 pieces of 50mm x 50mm x 4mm box section welded to it then a bit of 50mm x 50mm welded across the rear of these with a towball fitted in the centre.

the electrics cannot be just tapped off the rear lights due to the canbus system and have to have a bypass relay fitted.

3. scran

scran Read Only Funster

drilling chasis

why do you not drill alko chasis

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

An Alko chassis is hot dip galvanized and will last for years without rusting/rotting, drilling it will be a route for rust to penetrate the steel....and the rot warranty will be void.

spraying, after welding or drilling, with galv spray is not good enough.

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

I made my own bar for the Kontiki......60mm x 60mm box section and 10mm steel plates to fix to the chassis.

a few pics of the fitted bar which had been on around a year, shame i skimped on quality paint though :Blush:

the plate appears to be bolted to the bar but it is welded as well...the bolts are to hold the lot together while it was removed and welded.

Noted the condition of the unpainted ten year old Alko chassis...proper galvanizing

Attached Files:

6. degs

degs Read Only Funster

Tow Bar

Many thanks I will have to get my welding machine out.:thumb: