Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Either something majorly silly or a wind up.

I only used a qualified electrician once and he tried to set fire to my fuse box by not doing up one of the connectors so it arced away nicely.

Gone back to doing myself

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
Hi is the plug on the hoover the type which has insulated prongs except for the tips as if so they will not always make contact in some sockets

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I would like to piont whilst this tread is about Hoovers other floor cleaning elecrical devices are availibel, we dont want to be accused of af blatant advertising do we:rolleyes::cautious::sleep:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
@SC 05 OUT you are totally right there is also the good woman,and you dont plug here in :whistle:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
i don't understand this maybe someone can help, I plug the orange cable into a socket in the garage and the MH it runs a kettle and a T.V when I use the sockets in the MH, if I plug in a hoover or anything else it wont turn on, any idea what going on, anyone :confused:

thanks in advance

crabs

No matter how many times I read this I am baffled.. not only by the question but a lot of the replies !

The orange cable.. It is a normal hook up cable ?

You are plugging it in to the motorhome in the socket on the side of the van where it is meant to go yes ?

You say that IT runs a tv and a kettle.. Where are those plugged in to ?
Are they plugged in to sockets in the van ?

Are you saying that if you plug a hoover in to the same socket as the kettle it will not work even though the orange lead is still plugged in to the same things ?

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Err, did you quite mean to put it like that? :censored:

I try not to burn my house down, I make sure I tighten all contacts properly LoL.

What made it worse got home from a boys night out with a kebab to find none of our lights working, checked consumer point to see if it had tripped and realised I could hear crackling and smell burning (not a good sign) by the time I sorted it I had a cold kebab

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I think the sockets are wired to an inverter.
The inverter only has the capacity for a kettle but not the hoover.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
[/QUOTE="jonandshell, post: 1898960, member: 14648"]I think the sockets are wired to an inverter.
The inverter only has the capacity for a kettle but not the hoover.[/QUOTE]
I suppose the OP could try running the kettle without the orange hook up cable plugged into the side of the van, if it still worked he would know own there was an inverter hidden and working somewhere in his van.

OP
OP
crabman

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
No matter how many times I read this I am baffled.. not only by the question but a lot of the replies !

The orange cable.. It is a normal hook up cable ?

You are plugging it in to the motorhome in the socket on the side of the van where it is meant to go yes ?

You say that IT runs a tv and a kettle.. Where are those plugged in to ?
Are they plugged in to sockets in the van ?

Are you saying that if you plug a hoover in to the same socket as the kettle it will not work even though the orange lead is still plugged in to the same things ?

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Which inverter is strong enough to power kettle and boil the water??
Hoovers weaker than kettle , common sense!
If kettle works from socket but the Hoover does not ( from the same socket) then fault lies with the Hoover, try the fuse, open the plug check connections, plug somat else instead!!

OP
OP
crabman

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Jaws all you post is correct, it is plugged into a socket same which boils the kettle or the one that works the T.V, nothing happens , not only did I try a hoover but a thing that blows up air beds that would not run either, I am sure that as Amy says there is an inverter hidden and working somewhere in the van, going to check it out again today with one of the local inbreds, :LOL: I will post and tell the story if we sort it, it has to be something simple I am over looking, darn easier to sail and navigate the seven seas

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Which inverter is strong enough to power kettle and boil the water??
Hoovers weaker than kettle , common sense!
If kettle works from socket but the Hoover does not ( from the same socket) then fault lies with the Hoover, try the fuse, open the plug check connections, plug somat else instead!!

Common sense? Sorry don't get that.

We have a 1000w kettle, as do many hotel rooms.
An average vacuum cleaner is around 1600w. Add to that that an electric motor has a large startup current, your argument becomes a sweeping statement made with no knowledge of all the facts.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp

An average vacuum cleaner is around 1600w.
The difference being , one is a motor the other a boiler, common sense dictates that if you can boil water in a kettle in the normal time - an electrical motor will definitely spin but not necessarily at the designed speed hope that clearer?

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp

An average vacuum cleaner is around 1600w. Add to that that an electric motor has a large startup current, your argument becomes a sweeping statement made with no knowledge of all the facts.
And you have?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The difference being , one is a motor the other a boiler, common sense dictates that if you can boil water in a kettle in the normal time - an electrical motor will definitely spin but not necessarily at the designed speed hope that clearer?

Err, no. The high startup current will just cause the under rated inverter to switch off. Either that or the voltage drop caused at the supplying battery will cause the invertex to shut down.
Either way an inverter will not run an appliance which exceeds its maximum output.

OP
OP
crabman

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
lets wait for the sparks to check it out and then we will know the facts, (maybe) ;)

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
I
Err, no. The high startup current will just cause the under rated inverter to switch off. Either that or the voltage drop caused at the supplying battery will cause the invertex to shut down.
Either way an inverter will not run an appliance which exceeds its maximum output.
nverter would not switch off, I'm sorry these are facts I have experienced

OP
OP
crabman

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
sparks is off ill, he was wiring a house yesterday and his side kick plugged the fuse back in while he was holding the live wires, what a blast, anyway he was not to badly shocked hope he will be here this week :mad:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
sparks is off ill, he was wiring a house yesterday and his side kick plugged the fuse back in while he was holding the live wires, what a blast, anyway he was not to badly shocked hope he will be here this week :mad:

and you trust hime with your van.. :eek:

sounds like a house bashing spark.. any electrician with a modicum of training would have ensured that wasn't possible..

i.e...Lock off DB and or keep fuse in pocket.

OP
OP
crabman

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
ok your not going to believe this after all my efforts to work things out my brother comes along and switches on the socket for the T.V I plug in the hoover and away it goes flat out, we tested all the electrics were working and they were, only 1 hour before I had all the problems posted above by me, I will get the sparks to check to a loose wire in the system, once he has got over his shock, so all I can say is sods law if there are no loose wires, I had not moved the MH from its previous parking position. :cry:

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Faulty socket, faulty socket wiring, replace. No drama.

Most importantly, no need to call an eclect-rician

Last edited:
OP
OP
crabman

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
true pyro, now shall I do it or call in Idwall our local sheep sheerer and owner of green wellington boots which I see him wearing at night in the fields, I wonder what he's up too chasing those sheep in the dark :D

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
true pyro, now shall I do it or call in Idwall our local sheep sheerer and owner of green wellington boots which I see him wearing at night in the fields, I wonder what he's up too chasing those sheep in the dark :D
Keeping the sheep away from the sheep worrier who's been there at night :whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back