Free Member
Dec 11, 2015
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2006
Some of this may seem obvious but it is something that we have circulated to our electric bike club members and I thought I would share it here:

We service quite a few different brands of eBikes and we are often asked how to look after them and in particular how to extend the life of the battery.

The most common (potential) issue that we see at service time relates to tyre pressure, flat or flattish tyres make it harder to pedal and/or power the bike, for most of the road bikes we sell the manufacturers recommend 50-60 psi but don't forget, the harder you inflate them the rougher the ride.

A little bit of oil on the chain occasionally is a good idea, especially important on crank drive bikes.

Take care of your battery! If you can, store your battery at room temperature. Batteries don’t like really cold or hot temperatures. In general it is a good idea to charge your battery often to keep it topped off. If you don’t ride your electric bike much in the winter, store your battery fully charged and charge it every couple of months. Try not to leave it plugged in for more than 24 hrs.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Thanks for the reminder.

We use something called "white lightning" on our chains. The local bike shop recommended it :)

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
Take care of your battery! If you can, store your battery at room temperature. Batteries don’t like really cold or hot temperatures. In general it is a good idea to charge your battery often to keep it topped off. If you don’t ride your electric bike much in the winter, store your battery fully charged and charge it every couple of months. Try not to leave it plugged in for more than 24 hrs.

Hi
About to become and owner of a new bike ( yippee) I have read that batteries should be stored at only 60% not fully charged ? I don't understand the reason for this , any ideas?

Linda
actually just had this answered by my DH, quote" you shouldn't be storing the battery you should be riding the bl..dy bike :)) " !!

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ebikejohn

Free Member
Dec 11, 2015
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2006
Hi
About to become and owner of a new bike ( yippee) I have read that batteries should be stored at only 60% not fully charged ? I don't understand the reason for this , any ideas?

Linda
actually just had this answered by my DH, quote" you shouldn't be storing the battery you should be riding the bl..dy bike :)) " !!

Apologies - yes there can be more to it for some batteries and that raises another question, how do you know when your battery is at 60% and if it is at 60% when you leave it, what level will it be at when you return to it in two months time?

One of our suppliers recommends fully charging their Samsung batteries and then running the integrated lights for a couple of hours before removing the battery from the bike so that it isn't at full charge (make sure you don't forget to turn them off), we have experimented with leaving a fully charged Samsung bike battery for four weeks untouched and it drops to 4 out 5 bars on the condition indicator which suggests 80% remaining but I am not sure how accurate the indicator is.

Here is a posting from Electric Bike Report:
http://electricbikereport.com/top-5-tips-for-lithium-ion-electric-bike-battery-care/

On the other hand here is what Bosch have to say:
http://www.bosch-ebike.de/media/pdf/akku_guide/Bosch-eBike-Akku-Guide_EN.pdf

I guess the real message is - don't forget to give it a charge every month or two, that way it is unlikely to discharge completely, better still, keep riding and charging it - though with Storm Harry battering our front door at the moment........I'm staying in and cleaning the bikes ready for the demonstrator sale.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for reminder! I hadn't used my bike since October so needed to charge the battery . I'm unlikely to use it until Easter should I keep topping it up? It's kept in the wardrobe with the battery pack.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
E

ebikejohn

Free Member
Dec 11, 2015
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks for reminder! I hadn't used my bike since October so needed to charge the battery . I'm unlikely to use it until Easter should I keep topping it up? It's kept in the wardrobe with the battery pack.

If it were me I would give it a charge sooner rather than later & make sure that I kept it topped every month or two Anthea, it's easy to forget they are there and the batteries are so expensive to replace its worth putting a reminder on your calendar.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thank you! Will keep it topped up once a month! Yes they are expensive!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back