eberspacher heater

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by smiffy502000, Aug 8, 2012.

1. smiffy502000

smiffy502000 Funster

:Smile:hi all you experts,picking up our autocruise stardream next week,its fitted with a blown air eberspacher (think thats how you spell it) heating system, are they any good, reliable ? efficiant etc. any info would be welcome....cheers all:BigGrin:

2. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

Have one in our Chausson Welcome 72. It is very efficient if a little noisy. Have never left it on all night because of that. To be fair the air noise is at its noisiest for the first 10 minutes after turning on, it does tend to quieten after that.

Very frugal in the use of diesel.

Steve

3. smiffy502000

smiffy502000 Funster

thanks steve, new to me as im used to truma gas and electric type system, oh well, never to old to learn....cheers:Smile:

4. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

Excellent heaters I've probably fitted hundreds of D2's / D4's over the years, one bit of advice though,make sure you never place anything in front of the outlet/outlets this will cause the heater to overheat and shut down, if the heater detects more than three faults in a row I think it is it will then enter a mode where it will shut its self off after around 5 minutes, the only way you can cure this is to visit an eberspacher agent to get the fault codes cleared or me if you happen to be near Norwich at the time, The only other thing to look out for is if it is excessivly smokey when starting up 9 times out of 10 it will need the glow plug strainer replacing if it's a D2 / D4, this is easy enough to do as a DIY job. To any one who has an eberspacher and find it noisy there are silencers availabe for both the exhaust and the air intakes fitting these will quieten down the heater quite a bit.

• Like Like x 2
  5. FULL TIMER

By the way for those with eberspachers, remember it is perfectly safe to use these heaters whilst driving, handy in those winter months.

6. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

We have a Webasto Dualtop. We are year-round users and skiers, not fair-weather campers!

It's a different animal, but does run on diesel. We wouldn't go back to gas now.

I'd go so far to say, if we changed our van, we would retrofit a Webasto because gas just ain't good enough for us any more!

You can turn up the thermostat and not worry about gas useage. Diesel is so much easier to source. A word of warning though, just make sure you have a good set of batteries!:thumb:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  7. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

Great heaters if noisy on startup. We do use it overnight with no problems as once up to temperature it stays quiet.

Full timer, do you have a source to part number for these silencers please?
    Thanks.

8. shunter

shunter Funster

Have a look on EBay there are some Silencers on there:thumb:
    eberspacher heater

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  9. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

They are the night heaters that are used in most of the HGV's on the road. If its noisy after start up, it needs looking at, they are excellent.:thumb:

10. CURLYCORNFLAKE

CURLYCORNFLAKE Read Only Funster

Great Heaters

Fitted a D2 in a friends boat this year, fantastic even the little control panel comes with error codes should anything fail.Pretty pricey to buy though thats probably why lots of motorhomes have Truma ones fitted.

11. FULL TIMER

I'll have a look around and see what I can find, the exhaust silencers often come up on the bay and I used to get the air intake ones in with the heater kits when I was fitting them. for most parts though I use a company in Norwich called Panks Auto Electrical..............Mark

12. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

Reminds me, I know you can have them on a timer, I know they can be controlled thermostatically, and I,m "sort of" sure, I read somewhere that you can start them by text........................I stand to be corrected.

Would have plenty of uses though, warm up the MH while out walking,.....start heater by text in winter when the weather gets a tad chilly,.....lots of others no doubt, and also not text related, but better to have the eberspacher on when stuck intraffic than the engine running.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  13. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

We too have a Webasto diesel heater , like jonandshel , and wouldnt go back to blown air gas. The whole habitation area is toasty warm even in -15 temps up in Aviemore the year before last.
    As said you can use it when on the move too and have it on a timer. The only noise is on start up , but thats only a hum , its not like a generator or anything.
    We thought we had made a right clanger when we first bought the motorhome . Being green , and x tuggers , we were used to gas blown air.
    The first time we had it on in freezing temps , on a New Year rally , we woke up with cold noses and flat batteries.
    The leisure batteries provided with the motorhome, were soon swapped for Trojan ones , and we have never looked back. We have only ever had hook up a handful of nights since we have had it.

Now Ralph has fitted his new all singing dancing inverter thingy , we dont even need to do that.
    It means we can use any electrical essential now. You know like , my GHD's and hairdryer:Laughing:

14. bandit

bandit Funster

Gesphacher night heater

..Mornin all,ive got one fitted to my Leaky Kontiki,used it thru the night in feb and march.Just hear it start up then it gets on with job,cant beat climbing out of bed into warm slippers.Plus ive got it goin thru my blow air vents.The other week down at Tabley at the muddy motor show,we used the shower room for drying gear out,it was like a sauna,but at least it did the job.Had no problems with batteries going flat,2x110amp,but also changed over to L.E.D lighting,And the 90watt solar panel keeps them topped up.All the best,safe driving and make the most of the weather...THE BANDIT...:thumb: