east europe insurance options?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by Stuartandshaz, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Stuartandshaz

Stuartandshaz Read Only Funster

I am insured with safeguard/swinton many eastern European countries are not covered on my policy and i have been told they will not issue a green card for these countries, has anyone got info of what countries offer insurance purchase at their borders? And rough cost please. Main places are Croatia Bosnia Montenegro Albania but would also be interested in any other eastern countrys you might have visited.
    Thanks
    Stuart and Sharon

2. sedge

sedge Funster

Croatia is in the EU so therefore should be included the same as other EU countries?

The other 3 aren't and I don't know the answers, sorry.

3. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

Hello,

We are with Safeguard and last year we visited Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria all of which (including Croatia) are covered by their Policy.

If you are wanting to visit Albania, Montenegro, Macadonia, Bosnia and Serbia as far as I am aware the only UK insurance company to provide Fully Comprehensive cover for these (except perhaps Saga, but we're too young!) strangely enough is Caravan Guard.

They charge £26.50 for 14 days cover and £53.00 for 30 days cover in addition to your regular premium. The only detractor is they only provide a maximum of 8 months European cover in any 12 where as Safeguard provide 365 day cover.

You can of course purchase "insurance" at the border in most countries where a border exist (except Croatia) however I use the term "insurance" lightly as to what it actually covers is anyones guess - almost certainly not your own vehicle only your liability to others (Third Party).

The experts in borders and insurance are Catherine and Chris from The World Is Our Lobster who are on a mission to visit all 47 countries in Europe. They write an excellent blog which I'd recommend. You can e-mail them direct too: http://www.theworldisourlobster.com

Hope some of that helps

Adam
    www.europebycamper.com

• Like Like x 1
  4. vwalan

vwalan Funster

saga only used to cross out iran ,israel and serbia montenegro on their green cards so maybe they could perhaps give you a better deal. i no longer insure with them so dont know if its changed . but they had good coverage for the green cards .

5. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

Not quite yet. Set to be by 1st July 2013.