LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
What worries me about Funeral Plans that you pay for upfront what happens if the Company goes broke as I believe one did !!
That is always a worry.

I know that funeral directors associate themselves with one or other of the plans but how well the schemes are regulated I am unsure.

It was a bit crass when my Dad died as the funeral director left my sister and I with brochures about the plans so we could think about prepaying for our own funerals. Not too happy when i pointed out our nearest participating fd was 70 miles away from us ...... "On no, we cover the whole country." "No, you don't."

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
What worries me about Funeral Plans that you pay for upfront what happens if the Company goes broke as I believe one did !!
I believe that the law was changed after that and the selling of funeral plans have to be regulated under the FSA, just like other insurances. Mine was a trust so not an insurance but since the new laws Dignity have become involved to bring the legal protection to the trust fund.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
They are now required to be regulated/have protection - my Mum's has now come under the umbrella of Dignity so is safe.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
As said they are now regulated & the lump sum payments to cover the plan are required to be held in a seperate fund.This does not mean that the amount you are paying them is ALL held in a seperate fund, just the plan cost.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
A Friends husband died in another of our Friends garden in Spain. The deceased and is wife were retired funeral directors.

The Decased was flown to the UK and then onto an Island for cremation. However, the original coffin could not be burned. So the coffin is in the Widows garage !.

Ive never dared ask the cost of the repatriation. But I do know it was all pre-arranged.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
A Friends husband died in another of our Friends garden in Spain. The deceased and is wife were retired funeral directors.

The Decased was flown to the UK and then onto an Island for cremation. However, the original coffin could not be burned. So the coffin is in the Widows garage !.

Ive never dared ask the cost of the repatriation. But I do know it was all pre-arranged.

The coffin has to be lead-lined for shipment by air to avoid contamination of the airframe. That was probably the reason it was not accepted for cremation.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back