DUMB Parking Question

Discussion in 'France' started by John&Kate, Jul 29, 2016.

1. John&Kate

John&Kate Funster

Hi fellow MH'ers

Our 1st French tour kicks off on Tuesday, and I am wondering can I park my 9m Autotrail Alko chasis in a supermarket carpark ? or do I have to park in an Aires and walk/taxi/bus to the nearest supermarket.

Excuse my ignorance, Ive never been to France and never toured Europe in a MH.

Im trying to be as prepared as I can .. .. .. :cool:

2. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Never had a problem parking m a car park... always park a bit away from the building though to cause least disruption and walk dogs

3. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

I have seen larger than that in French supermarket car parks. When I was a tugger I never had problems with 4x4 and caravan totalling 12 metres.

4. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Far corner of car park using two spaces and when you come out with your shopping there will be a French Moho parked so close you won't be able to open your door. :LOL::LOL:
    I'm kidding but they do like to stick together it seems.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. John&Kate

John&Kate Funster

Thanks for swift responses .. Im carrying two young children and there is bound to be something forgotten to be packed in preparation :eek:

6. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

We always forget to pack some essentials but do pack loads of gear we never use :)

7. vwalan

vwalan Funster

children are usefull you can eat them .

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I asked my ex who is french about that and she thinks there are two reasons. One is security she thinks thieves like the isolated ones as there is less chance of a neigbouring van being occupied. And secondly for cooling, they try to get in the shade of other larger vehicles where possible.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. pyro

pyro Funster

I asked the very question of a French family who is parked next to us at the moment, who waived us in to join them where they were wild camping (disused car park) near Sesimbra (S of Lisbon), when two other vans joined us.

The answer was unequivocal; "there's safety in numbers".

As for parking in supermarkets, already answered. No problems but always best to park away from the main group of shoppers. Many French supermarkets (E. Leclerk especially) seem to actively encourage overnighting in their car parks,

10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

as above.. never had an issue.. even when we had the 36ft RV .. try to park with your arse over a grass verge..

also some French supermakets have motorhome facilities .. dumping and fresh water .. and you can also park overnight.. look for the Motorhome sign..

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Clarky

Clarky Funster

Do watch out for height barriers though.
    Quite a number of supermarkets seem to have installed them, the larger Carrefour ones seem to be the worst offenders. :(:(

Richard.

• Like Like x 1
  12. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Lidl car parks can be very small in my experience and crowded, Lidl = Little. :) Best to pause outside and see if you can see if there is enough space before swanning in. Where there are height barriers, Carrefour seem keen on these, you may find there is another entrance tucked away to one side and not necessarily signposted, without a barrier. I think they need one for ambulances and fire engines.

13. scotjimland

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  14. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

One of the kids, maybe! :LOL:
    I think I've seen the movie.

Wyn

15. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Overnighting on supermarket car parks seems a sensible idea. They already have a large empty car park overnight. Some provide facilities for filling/emptying of the motorhome. I have seen them with a laundrette adjacent. The presence of the public overnight must improve the supermarket's security. In the morning guess where all those motorhomers go for their fresh croisants and other shopping? Oh and on the way out we might as well fill up with deisel. It shows the difference in attitude to motorhomes from good old blighty!

Wyn

• Like Like x 2
  16. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

17. scotjimland

It's not a different attitude.. it's a difference in our laws..

The Caravan Act 1960 applies to UK supermarkets .. they cannot allow overnight camping unless they have a licence.. and stay within the law..

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. scotjimland

It's taking no prisoners.. that's for sure.. I crept under it VERY slowly..

19. Clarky

Clarky Funster

On the subject of supermarkets; they are the most popular and best value places to fill with fuel, like in the UK.
    However, for the first timer there are some slight differences which the 'older hands' now just take for granted.
    The forecourt is laid out differently from the usual UK style with pumps stretched across the width of the forecourt.
    There is usually a section marked 24hr pay at pump (with credit card), usually to the RHS. This is the section to use when possible. (y):)
    To the LHS is the section where you fill then move forward to the cashier who then raises a barrier to let you out after payment.
    This is where the fun starts when you have a 9m van.
    The exits are often very 'Micky Mouse' i.e. narrow and with very tight turns and high kerbs. To keep in the relaxed holiday mood it is always better to keep well away from these tests of manoeuvring skills. :eek::eek::eek:

A couple of different credit cards (Visa/Mastercard) is always a good idea as sometimes one may be refused by the machine for obscure reasons. It doesn't happen often but it is always when you are low on fuel or in an area with few alternative fuel stations.

Whatever happens enjoy your first trip to France, I will wager that it won't be your last. :):)

Richard.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Exactly. The different attitude is dictated by the government.

Wyn