ducato reverse judder

Discussion in 'Fiat' started by dutchy, Apr 27, 2009.

1. dutchy

dutchy Deleted User

I'm close to buying a used December 07 Bolero 680FB, I'm concerned about the reverse judder I have read about on the forums. I have not taken a test drive yet, just wondered what Swift/Fiats views are on this. I would love to hear from other owners good and bad.
    Thanks
    Dutchy

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi

Try a search on here using the term.. Judder ..

that would be enough to convince me not to buy ..

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  3. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

I have an 06 auto-trail scout that I have owned since new and,touch wood I have never had cause to reverse up a slope , until yesterday !!! it went up the slope as smooth as silk, so my worries are now over !!! BTW it is on a Ducato base....:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

4. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

5. Exustrek

Exustrek Read Only Funster

Hi steve4kay

Glad you don't suffer with the judders, however, consider the fact that when the time comes to sell your van someone will be asking the same question as Dutchy & regardless of whether you say it judders or not they will want to see some proof that you've had the appropriate modified transmission bits fitted by Fiat to cure this problem. Trading in doesn't seem to be a problem at the minute but as & when the vehicles with the modified transmissions hit the showrooms my guess is that it will be just one more reason to drive down trade in values.

Dutchy

The Bolero is a beautiful van, but with the base vehicle surrounded by so much adverse publicity & uncertainty of the effectiveness of the proposed Fiat fix do you really think this is a wise investment? The fact that you need to ask the question in the first place should tell you most of what you need to know.

I'm ready to change ours right now but am struggling to find something we really like that's not X250 based & within our price range.

I may be tempted to part with ours for offers over 35k, it's a beautiful Dethleffs, fully loaded 3.0l 160 on an 07 with just 5k on the clock, but i have to warn you that it judders just like Bigfoot's? & just like the rest (potentially), any takers?

Bryan

6. dutchy

dutchy Deleted User

I think i already know the answer already,just sounding it out,by the way is it the 3 litre as well that it affected or just the 2.2?
    Thanks
    Dutchy

7. Exustrek

Exustrek Read Only Funster

2.2l, 2.3l & 3.0l all are affected, none are immune, as Fiat are implying in this month's MMM

Bryan

8. david price

david price Read Only Funster

HI,yes the 3lt judders as well.
    Go to forums and look at clutch gone on two year old van.That was mine and i have just got it to fiat wolverhampton after just over four weeks.I am going to have to fight fiat to try and get it done under warranty.
    Having spoke to someone at the garage today they said fiat are aware of the problem but the fix they have come up with is not working and in alot of cases making it worse.There words not mine.Puegot are changing the gearbox and clutch assembly which seems to work.Why cant fiat do the same?
    If i was you i would steer clear till the problems are sorted.Has you can see not everyone has a problem but it is alot of money to spend to take a chance of being one of the lucky ones.The lucky ones will defend them because they are great to drive(when they are working correctly).
    Well,do you feel lucky punk?Do you?:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    Dave

9. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

If my memory is correct the 2006 fiats were the last of the old style non judderers,the X250 came in in 2006.:thumb:

10. buccaneer

buccaneer Read Only Funster

Yes the X250 are early 2007 on,so the 2006 does not have this problem.

11. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Well all I can say is that I am changing some of our older hire vans and we are replacing them with 09 X250's Swifts.

Hire vans do the miles with a number of different drivers, none of them experienced MH drivers.................................................

Peter

12. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

I would bve interested in seeing your hire customer feedback!!

13. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

No complaints!:thumb:

Peter

14. Oscarmax

Oscarmax Read Only Funster

I have now had the engine mounts,:Rofl1:

The gearbox modification and the uprated clutch:Rofl1:

and the clutch damper pipe:Rofl1:

yes it is still judders in reverse:Angry:

and Fiat have told me they have no more modifications:Eeek:

15. dutchy

dutchy Deleted User

Hi
    to be fair why would hire customers complain its not there van .
    as a swift dealer you must have come accross some customers who have had these problems?

16. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

I bought my MH brand new and it will probably outlast me !!! therefore I have a "viking" funeral planned and we both will go up to Valhalla together !!:Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1:

17. Neckender

Neckender Funster

My 650- 08 Trigano Tribute 2.3 120 multi jet, drives like a dream, I'm well pleased with it.

John.

18. dutchy

dutchy Deleted User

Hi
    I rang Fiat customer care today ,pointless phone call to say the least
    asked for the chassis numbers of the vehicles affected after they confirmed "some customers had had problems" then spent 5 minuets trying to get an answer but to no avail then told them i would be interested buying a new 09 x250 if they could confirm the problem had been rectified on 09 registered vehicles" need to ring a commercial dealer"was their reply" they would know"she told me .when i asked who would give the dealer the information on the serial numbers of affected vehicles she said its on a vehicle by vehicle basis as reported by the owner!!!!!!!!

Lost the will to live at this point
    Dutchy

19. Oscarmax

Oscarmax Read Only Funster

I have heard Fiat are no longer producing the 2.3, they are trying to use up their vast stockpiles, it is going to be replaced with the Ford 2.2 engine (as per Puegeot) and use the 120 gearbox with the reverse the same ratio as first gear.
    :Rofl1::Rofl1:

20. chigman

chigman Read Only Funster

It's not good is it.:RollEyes: fiat and the dealers have shafted us good and proper on this one and continue to do so to the unwary.:Angry:

Cant wait for the Japs to get into motorhomes..:thumb:

steve