Ducato MH2 Self Build "motorcaravan" (complete) (1 Viewer)

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Hi all

Not been on here for years but recognise a few names still :) Self build world is small.

Last time we were here we had an NV200 conversion, but for medical issues needed to upscale to a van suitable for sitting around in more, so I got this in July 2020 and built it over 6mths. 75 days away in 2021 and hope to beat that in 2022. And 13 months after completion and quite a few battles, it is now a motorcaravan lol

Its a novel layout, 2 berth MWB (5.4m) with more internal space than you'd expect, L lounge, large kitchen area, full shower/bathroom - and garage for bikes or snowboards. Off grid capable etc etc.

I guess many may've seen it on other forums.

I'll post a video of the finished van walk around in case anyone has an interest and happy to talk bore you about details

All pics from build are in google album if interested: https://photos.app.goo.gl/QPiv6sVDTUp1vuTMA

Last edited:

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Nice, well done.

Has anyone pointed out this video and the one about your first trip away on youtube seem to be very low volume, cant hear you too well?

Ive checked my settings and seem ok on others ?

just thought Id point it out

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
Nice, well done.

Has anyone pointed out this video and the one about your first trip away on youtube seem to be very low volume, cant hear you too well?

Volume seemed fine to me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Nice, well done.

Volume should be fine I've had more complaints on the background music being too loud!! lol

Maybe its the way it encoded/decoded for you - no idea sorry :( Nothing I can do about it either. Not that exciting so you didn't miss much!

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Must be me then, thanks Ill check it

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Looks great. What does it weigh & what is the payload.
Complete, with us both in, and full fuel, exactly 3000kg
Its 3.5t chassis, so 500kg payload
1560kg front; 1440kg rear.

So bikes and heavy stuff in the garage is fine - rear axle can take 2000kg - front is 1850kg I think

So seems well balanced.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Hi all

Not been on here for years but recognise a few names still :) Self build world is small.

Last time we were here we had an NV200 conversion, but for medical issues needed to upscale to a van suitable for sitting around in more, so I got this in July 2020 and built it over 6mths. 75 days away in 2021 and hope to beat that in 2022. And 13 months after completion and quite a few battles, it is now a motorcaravan lol

Its a novel layout, 2 berth MWB (5.4m) with more internal space than you'd expect, L lounge, large kitchen area, full shower/bathroom - and garage for bikes or snowboards. Off grid capable etc etc.

I guess many may've seen it on other forums.

I'll post a video of the finished van walk around in case anyone has an interest and happy to talk bore you about details

All pics from build are in google album if interested: https://photos.app.goo.gl/QPiv6sVDTUp1vuTMA

Looks very professionally done. Congratulations.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Does the lack of through cab not annoy you.
It's the one thing that does on mine!!
Nice high build standard.

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Does the lack of through cab not annoy you.
It's the one thing that does on mine!!
Nice high build standard.
Thanks. the middle cushion comes out and the back section lifts off, so we can climb over. (there is an upright to support the weight)

The price for making that awkward means a more comfortable L sofa without compromising (as height is correct and the layout is lounging), as well as better insulation (as cab can be sealed off), and more storage (under sofa is all bedding, fresh water, spares, boiler etc). And allows more "discreet" camping if needed.

Its for 2 people, so don't need 5/6 seating positions which an L and usable cab would give us. It actually gives more space not using cab (less floorspace wasted/better storage etc). Counter intuitive and not everyone will be convinced!

At home, we lounge on sofa with feet up - and don't sit in chairs.

Wont suit everyone for sure and 100% isn't right for everyone. Those that enjoy "captain" chairs will hate it, but those that slouch with feet up may like it!

(best image I can find to explain - mid build before tops and supports were made )
AM-JKLUjCK8qDj2AsLvB_CBpRjL3w2uy1f6WC_dUXBcpI_VAkfgply3PNov74lAdhd4Hpbndj4QL5anNPJ_tYhOMkxsuFBkTnWpZd3Ah_HAE-mR8t1ma6m8NLGkPd12W1TzWJhZexgG4tHiQ_YXl63eXn6j8OA=w1139-h854-no

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Well done, you should be very pleased and satisfied with all your efforts. Did you have somewhere under cover to build it?

Andy Hezbez has also done a recent conversion. We all had a nosey in it at Hawick and were very surprised just out much he fitted in it.

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Well done, you should be very pleased and satisfied with all your efforts. Did you have somewhere under cover to build it?

Andy Hezbez has also done a recent conversion. We all had a nosey in it at Hawick and were very surprised just out much he fitted in it.
Thanks very kind, and no I wish! No, all done outside :( Dodging rain, heat pads to keep hands warrm.....

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Great build! It's clear a lot of thought about usage and functionality went into it - as you say, it's your van to your specifications. Love the mood lighting too.
lol. That f&&&*&^*&g lighting board. What a PITA to design and fit (I have a no visible fixings policy!). Looks good, took well over a week and instigated a load of complexity.
Barely used it :D :D Only at the odd festival thing.

(I'd not bother again! :D)

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Looks nice well done, what did you use for insulation and did you insulate all areas, rear doors, sliding door etc?
Hi, thanks
Various. I did each section separately (e.g. bathroom, kitchen, behind sofa). Photos are linked in first post which show more. But insulated whatever and wherever possible.
Mostly thermoliner to the bodywork (7 or 12mm foam with silver backing and high-temp self adhesive - the stuff never comes off. This negates need for dodo sound stuff). Then cellotex type stuff, then whatever I can in gaps and to get teh right level. e.g. behind sofa back is around 100mm to the van "horizontal bar" that only has 12mm thermoliner but it makes it the same level. the bathroom again varies to 100mm. Took an *age* to be honest and much more time consuming than the standard build method.
Better? Who knows - probably not a huge amount, the biggest "cold" entry is sliding door and cab then floor (can't insulate more than i did due to headroom). I did the door the best I could but reality is a sausage dog is needed in winter. Cab we cut out so no problem there. And again, the "garage wall" is insulated so we don't worry about the rear doors.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Registered as a motorcaravan?

Doesn't really resemble one except for the awning and DVLA are supposed to be picky on appearance

Apr 18, 2021
Lincolnshire Wolds AONB, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 540
Exp
Since 2008

Doesn't really resemble one except for the awning and DVLA are supposed to be picky on appearance
Actually, it looks similar to mine, which is a professional convertor build PVC. I'm guessing there were no problems at all with DVLA with his build, otherwise they wouldn't have issued the V5, would they? Not everything has to conform to the 'white van man' stereotype.

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp

Depends on *your* definition of a motor caravan. I've letters from RoSPA, IAM, C&CC M&CC, and blue light services saying if they saw it they'd identify it as a motorcaravan/campervan.
It also meets all of DVLA requirement checklist which is written in a poor and ambiguous way, but legal advice confirmed it was within the definition.
It has awning, steps, flue, water/mains inlet, exhausts, water dump, motorhome style graphics, "camper" branding etc. To anyones taste? Who knows. But taste doesn't come into it and nor should an "opinion" lol. IMO DVLA should have 101 list of well written unambiguous requirements that are clear, with clear examples, but they don't. They seem a little random and inconsistent.

But yes, after a long battle (14mths) it is now a motorcaravan - I have new v5 and a written apology :) But it was a battle.

Actually, it looks similar to mine, which is a professional convertor build PVC. I'm guessing there were no problems at all with DVLA with his build, otherwise they wouldn't have issued the V5, would they? Not everything has to conform to the 'white van man' stereotype.

Did I meet you at another meet? I saw someone with a cliff 540 in black and it looked good?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Unfortunately with DVLA everything has to confirm to their opinion of a motorhome.
They state it must LOOK like a motorhome, not a van.
DVLAs favourite is to issue a V5 as a "van with windows"
Yours was built by a recognised converter so there's no debating whether is a motorhome or not.

Apr 18, 2021
Lincolnshire Wolds AONB, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 540
Exp
Since 2008
Unfortunately with DVLA everything has to confirm to their opinion of a motorhome.
Yours was built by a recognised converter so there's no debating whether is a motorhome or not.
...so that begs the question, (that you deftly avoided...) how did this guy get a V5 for his (self-converted) van??

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Not true. Pro converters are having the same issues. I'm aware of a pro converter (on 1-2yo vans) who produces identical models, same windows/graphics/positions - and they come back randomly as VWW/MC.

DVLA say it must look like a motorcaravan, then define what a motorcaravan should look like. Even ticking those boxes does not mean success. If DVLA want "motorcaravans" to be vastly different, they should say so - such as not having the same rear as the base van, but they don't. Or a "campervan" definition. Or even "van with windows - campervan". But they don't. If they failed all vans, then so be it - but they don't.

Its only true for brand new unregistered vans which go through the type approval process and do not go through the "change". But how can vans that look the same (some "branded" ones have no graphics) be different type and look different on the road? Its impossible even for expert eyes.

I've examples of vans on identical bases with equal looks, some pass, some fail (in the same time period) - nothing to differentiate.. Its about 5-10% getting through now, whereas it was a lot higher.

The randomness causes issues such as percieved quality/value; insurance valuation; toll charges (e.g. dartford use DVLA database and charge vans/vww higher than mc, can be argued but always hassle). Then the issues with parking, congestion, dealer speed limit removal etc. (speed limits & mot do not matter, but tickets can be wrongly issued)

Its just hassle no one needs. Consistency and clarity is the ideal. But thats for another thread/debate :)

DVLA did apologise "Please accept my apologies that Mr Activecampers has had to contact you to get the body type amended correctly" :)

Source: https://climbingvan.co.uk/van-life/reclassifying-your-campervan-dvla/
DVLA-graph-01-01-copy.jpg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
...so that begs the question, (that you deftly avoided...) how did this guy get a V5 for his (self-converted) van??
I explained that.
He may well have got a V5 for a "van with windows" and not one for a motorcaravan .
Until such time as the OP lets us know we're all in the dark.
Take a look at the post above this one

Type "van with windows" in the search box, that will tell you everything

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
I explained that.
He may well of got a V5 for a "van with windows" and not one for a motorcaravan .
Until such time as the OP lets us know we're all in the dark.

Type "van with windows" in the search box, that will tell you everything

I've said it in the title, first post, post 20 and post 23?

Bit like writing to DVLA - have to say the same thing multiple times to get there in the end :D ;)

Jun 29, 2012
Penrith
Funster No
MH
DIMS van conversion
Exp
since 2010
I've said it in the title, first post, post 20 and post 23?

Bit like writing to DVLA - have to say the same thing multiple times to get there in the end :D ;)
Having built a (much simpler) van myself - I know how much thought and work has gone into this excellent project.

I'm very envious! Well done.

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
My apologies, as usual I didn't absorb the whole thread
No apology needed, it could've been clearer. My comment was sent in jest ;)

The internet is full of misinformation and incorrect details on the conversion process, "how to pass it", "what you need to do", and the differences between MC/VWW. Bear in mind I've been collecting info for 2 years preparing for the fight and reading *lots* and know all the authoritative sources - but they aren't clear or in one place. 95% is down to luck (or lack thereof). I have example passes/fails in the same time period of vans with every combination of requirements you can think of.

I've random examples such as where someone tried/failed numerous times, sold the van, the new owner tried and passed first time (no change) etc.

(I am aware mine isn't a white box, or "standard", but I made sure it complied to the rules, but did expect a fight)

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Having built a (much simpler) van myself - I know how much thought and work has gone into this excellent project.

I'm very envious! Well done.
Never again! lol. 1yr thinking, 6mths full time build. Never again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back