DRIVING MOTORHOME OVER 3.5T IN SWITZERLAND (1 Viewer)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Switzerland rocks!
IMG_1134.JPG

IMG_1065.JPG

Bought our vignette equivalent to £26. We are 4.25 tonnes. Easy as. Stop at border, pay and away you go.

IMG_1143.JPG

The roads are great and the scenery amazing.

IMG_1147.JPG

IMG_1160.JPG

IMG_1190.JPG

We will stay tonight before crossing into France tomorrow.

955matt

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
bexhill on sea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Nothing to do with don't believe you , we have been 5 or 6 times and never had to buy one. Never had any problems at any boarder crossing with this or the last van both over 3.5 ton. We only got asked once and he didn't argue.

I will look into it though if we go again

OP
OP
tinkerbell
Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Hi Mousy

Lovely pictures- looking forward to going, I am a worrier but will definitely be getting a permit for over 3.5. Have got citri air for France and Germany just in case. Austria is sorted. Don't want any fines.

On another note anything I need to know re dogs in Austria/ Italy
. She has been to Germany before.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Parapilot

Free Member
Dec 29, 2015
Whiston
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
6 years
I think that either you are not reading the whole thread, or you do not want to believe what several of us have posted.

Under 3.5t the Vignette is needed for M/Ways only.

You have said your MH is 5t. In which case the rule that applies is that you have to pay for a permit covering every day you are in the country, whether driving or not, and you must enter that day on it.

I hope you now understand - it could save you some big fines.

Geoff
I guess this is more useful info to remember.

Like Matt I have crisscrossed Switzerland numerous times over the past 9 years, never spoken to border security and can't even recall any of the booths being manned (mostly minor, non-motorway crossings). Hymer looks every bit of it's 6 ton GVW so would never pass for 3.5.

Question is, what to do about passing through a small unmanned border point ? Possibly at night as I often travel when the roads are quieter - especially around Geneva.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Nothing to do with don't believe you , we have been 5 or 6 times and never had to buy one. Never had any problems at any boarder crossing with this or the last van both over 3.5 ton. We only got asked once and he didn't argue.

I will look into it though if we go again
I'm not sure "never had to buy one" is quite the same as "didn't buy one". (y)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
@tinkerbell what size is your dog?
We've had no problems travelling with ours who is a 6 months old cavapoo. Italians love dogs, they don't bat an eyelid if you take them into shops and restaurants but obviously we've asked first. You often meet people who just love to fuss and pet your pup and quite often they bizarrely carry dog biscuits in their pockets too!

In Italy dogs should be muzzled on public transport, we didn't know this before we left UK so hadn't got millie used to one nor did we own one.
She went with us on bus, train and ferry boat and nobody said a thing, as an absolute last resort if we were challenged and refused travel I was ready to tie a soft piece of material around her snout!! But we did see other larger dogs without muzzles so I wouldn't worry about that too much. she is small enough to sit on my lap and be picked up, hence my question about your dogs size.

Overall France and Italy is wonderful with dogs, I'm sure you will have a great time.

OP
OP
tinkerbell
Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
As picture but Labrador size now - soft as mush. She's been loved in France, Germany, only ventured slightly into Austria and was okay, just wasn't sure of Italy and Switzerland. I don't own a muzzle and would not put one her, she is more frightened of other dogs having been bitten 3-4 times, stitched up, she is a cowardy custard, avoids Alsatians at all costs, will cross the road or walk the other way.
(Sorry Alsatian owners), but they just go for her.
She is looking forward to her holiday, but not as much as me if we ever figure out where we are going, the only firm thing I know is the date we are going at the moment.

OP
OP
tinkerbell
Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
UPDATE EVERYONE. - NOT GOING YET.... MORE TIME TO REPLAN
Fell off my cycle, tried to cycle off in loose ground and ended up in hospital in Bangor for a week, (yes it was a very stupid thing to do, don't try it). Have fractured shoulder an fractured a lower pelvic bone. So as my bed is over garage I am unable to get in and out of it, and I'm on one crutch. I'm good for nothing for a few months, hubby not happy. Couldn't fault hospital staff, they were so kind to me. Body is nice shades of black, blue, purple and and orange.

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
Just come out of Switzerland. On the way in via Basle, the border point was manned and so I asked for a vignette for over 3.5. As has already been described, the process was painless - just inspected registration document and cost the equivalent of £26. Lasts for 10 days in the country for 1 year. I wouldn't risk driving without one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back