Driveway storage (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2023
Inverness, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 135
Exp
Hiring since 2014 and just bought our first van
Hi guys, I’m a newbie Moho owner and will be storing my van on the driveway over winter. My driveway is on a slope and I am using the wheel ramps on the rear wheels to keep it level. Are there any potential problems with this situation ?
The van is currently covered with a Maypole cover.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I like to keep mine slightly off level so the water drains away off the roof quickly.
Cover are devisive, some like them, some don't, they certainly do restrict ventilation which can't be a good thing.

OP
OP
Macmoho
Nov 30, 2023
Inverness, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 135
Exp
Is there any potential damage if not storing the van on a level surface?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
likewise, keep ours on the drive and up at a slight angle to get the water off the roof. tried a cover many years ago which was supposed to be breathable. more trouble than its worth IMHO, but we all have choices.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
the main slight concern could be tyres depending on the type of ramps you have.

I sit ours on a couple of concrtete blocks layed flat so the same as if the tyres were on the drive.

OP
OP
Macmoho
Nov 30, 2023
Inverness, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 135
Exp
Thanks Phill, that sounds a better plan, the current ramps I have are the ridged version that offer three different levels and I’m concerned about the tyres👍🏻

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
on a slope for water runoff, but don't expect the fridge to work. A bit of ex professional advice, forget the cover, as in the wind they rub into the paintwork and cause more damage than they protect from and you don't see it till spring when the van gets uncovered. When buying vans I used to avoid or bid down vans that had been covered with one of those. Yes it keeps it a little cleaner, but not much. Worst I ever saw was a van kept under a tree and covered to keep it clean. A branch actually cut into the bodywork and the owner had no idea till it was way too late with damp in the van

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
No problem with a slope.....
However cover, NO NO NO.
You can wash off tree sap, bird poo etc, but you will never wash off damage to paint work...
PS. Leave in gear and/or put chocks behind wheels.... DO NOT leave hand brake on 👍👍

Mar 9, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Even if you are laying up overwinter, the ‘van should be taken out for a run every few weeks, they don’t cope too well with long periods of inactivity
That said, the least kit you have to remove to get on the road the better

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Agree totally... I have never understood why folk are willing to spend circa £60000 plus on a motorhome then park it up for months on end to save a few shillings on road tax.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Not noticed any issues with mine and my drive is on a slope that no ramp is going to level out! I have to park in the same spot/direction for reasons of space/access, so the van weight is biased to the FNS. As a result no water pools on the roof, but I do tend to get marks on the glass of the passenger window, which is where the water tends to run off across.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Mine's on a slight slope and sideways lean so the water runs off quickly, and leaves the black'ish water streaks, dirty from roof crud, only down one rear corner. I never use a cover, partly because on fine winter days I can easily ventilate it for a couple of hours midday by opening all the windows, rooflights and door. Never had any damp, condensation or mould issues

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
I always parked my ‘van on ramps when on our drive as it (the drive) was level, and I wanted the rain, etc to run off rather than pool on the roof….!
Cover - definitely not!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back