Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
when they took out my Dometic fridge/freezer they obviously didn't seal it properly. I found this out last night in Spain when the wind was blowing on that side :mad: now I would take it back to them but as they are in Essex it's a bit of a trip.
Need recommendations of what to seal it with, top and one side please.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Ours wasn't sealed from new. I used under laminate foam, made into a roll, to make a temporary seal just because I had it handy, try bubble wrap or similar.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
You probably have to pull the fridge forward before pussing bach with a good foam draught excluder.

IT DOES NEED DOING SOON as the draught will draw in Carbon Monoxide if the fridge is on gas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Depends how big the gap is, silicone for small or aluminium foil tape for something a bit bigger, do remember that there is a naked flame on the back of the fridge so don't stuff anything in the gap that can fall out and go against the burner.

Martin

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If it is just a small gap you can run a bead of silicon down the gap, easy enough to cut or remove if the fridge ever needs to come out.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Ours wasn't sealed from new. I used under laminate foam, made into a roll, to make a temporary seal just because I had it handy, try bubble wrap or similar.
I just pushed into gap from the front of fridge and not pushed back out of sight, like you, I assume, a temporary measure until home.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you can get the vents off you might be able to gaffer tape it at the back as a temporary measure to prevent it getting past the rear of the fridge in the first place, if not then do as suggested above ... but don't use gaffer tape inside!!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you can get the vents off you might be able to gaffer tape it at the back as a temporary measure to prevent it getting past the rear of the fridge in the first place, if not then do as suggested above ... but don't use gaffer tape inside!!!
When I mentioned silicon I assumed he would be doing it from the rear. would look a right mess on the front.:)

El-Nido

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
I'd strongly recommend getting someone professionally competent to look at this. I reported a van converter to Trading Standards as (among many other things) the fridge was not correctly sealed and was venting inside the van (like yours). As part of their investigation they called in experts from the Gas Safety organisation. They ran a test - ran the fridge on gas with the doors, windows and skylights closed (ie like at night when you're in the van asleep). Within 15 minutes their instrument was showing lethal levels of carbon monoxide in the van - just 15 minutes! It's not worth the risk - please get it done properly. Our van had to be completely stripped back to the base van, damage repaired and completely rebuilt by a professionally competent company.

The van converter is currently serving a 38 month prison sentence for what he did to our van, plus 16 counts of fraud: http://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/n...ord-businessman-jailed-supply-unsafe-11565784 - the photo is of our van and dodgy fridge fit.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I often feel that if you conscientiously do a job yourself it can better than relying upon someone else who is undertaking the work for a profit and therefore time constrained. In saying that I know that there are conscientious tradespeople out there, the problem is finding one.

In this case the diy job is quite simple and you can be certain that it is an effective solution to the problem.

Get something like this : http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p53...=53122&gclid=Cj0KEQiA5bvEBRCM6vypnc7QgMkBEiQA. The tape is designed for heating situations and it is quite easy to stick it to the back of the fridge on one side and the enclosure on the other side. Running it around the whole of the back of the fridge will ensure that no fumes can enter the interior of the motorhomes.

OP
OP
Clive

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks everyone, currently have stuffed J Cloths into the gap at the front, no more breeze but will be taking back to point out the error of their ways

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back