Downlighter bulbs

Discussion in 'Top Tips & Tricks' started by gazzeroo, Apr 9, 2015.

1. gazzeroo

gazzeroo Funster

Could anyone suggest how I can remove the bulbs from the eyeball downlighters in my MH. The bulbs look as if they are sidelight bulbs. I have tried twisting them and pushing and twisting, but they wont budge. There is very little bulb protruding therefore nothing much to grip onto. I have even removed the whole light fitting to no avail. I was going to take one out to see if I could get a led replacement, there are leds to fit most types of lamps these days. Any suggestions much appreciated
    Gary

2. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

They will be 12v in your MH so they are just pull out/push in so twisting them isn't going to help. If you can't get hold of the edge they can be a pig to remove. You just need to get some purchase on them somewhere and gradually ease them out.

3. Linda and Steph

Linda and Steph Funster

They should just pull out, the inner bulb and the reflector are usually a single item.

Have you checked for a metal retainer that holds in the reflector at the front?

4. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

Can you take a photo for us to see the fitting When I changed mine to LED I simply used a pair of pliers they were G4 pushfits. A bit like pulling a tooth, gentle but firm and avoiding any breakages....Good Luck!

5. Linda and Steph

Linda and Steph Funster

oh, if the lamps have a glass front I find that a suction cup can be a useful tool to get it out.

6. gazzeroo

gazzeroo Funster

There is a reflector, I havent tried taking that out, I`ll give it a go at the weekend. No glass front unfortunately. If they just push in I might be able to prise it out with a screwdriver, will let you know how it goes. Thanks for all your suggestions, great bunch!

7. gazzeroo

gazzeroo Funster

Hi Guys
    I have had another go at the downlighters, with little success. The reflector wont budge and I cannot get to the side of the bulb to prise it out. I have had the whole fiitting out of the hole and still cant get the bulb out. I think the only way forward is to replace the whole fitting, the existing ones are pretty ancient I would think. Does anyone know where I can buy led downlighters with an integral switch, about 70mm square. Thanks oncve again for all your advice
    Gary

8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

There are a number of different "eyeball" fittings with different types of bulb. If it is like the one pictured (this is a double, they also come as singles) then the bulb is a bayonet cap fitting as in side lights &c. Can't remember if they are single of double end connectors. We had some in our Autoquest and obtained LED replacements from Aten Lighting.
    double-eyeball-spotlight-gold-500-p.jpg

9. SandT

SandT Funster

The bulbs that are fitted are caravan bulbs and have a tapered glass bottom where they join the metal bit. You need to be brave and using a cloth push them in and twist. I don't think you would be able to replace them with LED's, I tried but LED's don't have this tapered bit and you are not able to push them in far enough to twist them into the seat.
    I got some direct replacements from ebay, 12v 20w rather than renew all the downlighters.

Terry

10. SandT

SandT Funster

11. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I had a problem with cheap LEDs from China which were really meant as car indicator bulbs but, as I mentioned, I did subsequently get some from Aten Lighting. See Here.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Eddystone

Eddystone Funster

13. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Get some plastic tube that will be a tight push fit over end of bulb & use that to push & turn. Wear safety glasses . It will also prevent anything getting in your eyes or the bulb breaking a cutting your fingers to pieces.

• Like Like x 1