down sizing to a van conversion (1 Viewer)

Aug 24, 2011
Ribble valley, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have a 7+meter Auto Trail Apache 634 and am considering buying a smaller unit. I travel alone most of the time and usually do a 4 or 5 week trip to Spain and Portugal in winter and 1 week tours of the UK in the summer. The Auto sleeper Duo is a similar layout to the Apache and is 6 meters long. What other suggestions do you have?

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We down sized from a Autotrail Tracker (7.09mtrs) to a 6.35mtr IH rear lounge van conversion.

I love driving it, it is some much more stable on the motorways and much more manoeuvrable in the smaller inland villages.

But - there is very little storage compared to the Full size van.

Wall cupboards that were square and with a air barrier on the Autotrail are now van roof/curved wall shape and get hot in the sun and cold at night. The whole van is far less insulated and can get much colder at night.

We tour for around 12 weeks at a time and a lot of stuff now lives IN the van whilst travelling.

There are plus and minor points for both but for us we both prefer our PVC to the Autotrail.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I'm camping solo and have just bought my first PVC, an Auto-Sleeper Kingham after having previously owned two coachbuilts.
Fixed bed and loads of storage (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I'm camping solo and have just bought my first PVC, an Auto-Sleeper Kingham after having previously owned two coachbuilts.
Fixed bed and loads of storage (y)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I too now have a PVC, having previously had coachbuilt MH. Storage was always an issue with van conversions but I have a fixed bed model and the storage is more than adequate. Have to agree however that the wall cupboard shaping does have limitations, I love my van, find it extremely warm - can't having the heating set above no. 2 or it gets too hot!! Wouldn't go back to a coach built as I find what I have so easy to drive etc.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We've down sized from an Auto Sleeper coach built to a GlobeCar Campscout 636 panel van with humongous rear bed and the same storage beneath the bed loads of cupboards and lockers.
We now have more storage than any coach built that we've ever owned, I used to tow a small trailer for all our chairs, table, Barbie,awning etc, but now we no longer need the trailer and will be now cheaper going abroad.

John.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Have a look at WildAx - I love my Constellation. I upsized from an Autosleeper Symphony - WildAx is all of .5 meter longer, but feels much bigger!

El-Nido

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
I have a PVC. I bought the van and had it converted. We have a fixed rear transverse double bed. We had the rear of the van blanked off. Not only does it make it warmer in the bed, but it also gives loads more storage space. Clearly not for everyone as some like to be able to open the rear doors if sat in the van (and no use if you have a rear lounge), but it's a great storage solution (we also have storage under the bed).

DSC_0599.JPG

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We changed from a Bessacarr E795 to a Vantage Cub but found it a step too far and so changed to an Autocruise Rhythm. It had a topbox already fitted and an underslung gas tank so we dont have a problem with storage.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have a 7+meter Auto Trail Apache 634 and am considering buying a smaller unit. I travel alone most of the time and usually do a 4 or 5 week trip to Spain and Portugal in winter and 1 week tours of the UK in the summer. The Auto sleeper Duo is a similar layout to the Apache and is 6 meters long. What other suggestions do you have?
If you are thinking of buying new then have a look at the East Neuk Touring L - second hand ones are scarce. It has a similar layout to the vehicle you mention but it is very well put together and designed with lots of storage including a wide space under the rear lounge for tables and chairs etc. I suspect you would notice a big difference in build quality compared to the mass produced vans. I have a Murvi but their layout is very different to what you seem to be looking for.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We've gas water waste all underslung. That way all the underbed storage and base cupboard space is free . Our xlwb pvc has more storage space than lots of wider motorhomers we've been in.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back