Dover Seafront parking.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by GWAYGWAY, Sep 10, 2016.

1. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

The Facebook page for the Dover for Dovorians page shows a load of MH's parked on the grass of the park at Camden Crescent on the seafront.
    I do not know who or why they were there but they might be Irish plates and you know who. It has however really stirred up the MH Haters in the town and the vitriol is pouring out Hang'em, shoot'em, leaving piles of rubbish etc Sh*t everywhere. I had a look and could not see any trace. There were hover 12 vans parked outside the flats and they are living on borrowed time as the wardens will be out early especially after the fuss over the grass parking.

2. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Had a look through the facebook page but couldn't see the article you were referring to. It was interesting though that I could not see any of the residents criticising motorhomes parked along the front, in fact some were saying they liked them being there.
    The cynical part of me could think this could just be the press trying to sell papers and local council just making up excuses to put yet another ban on people enjoying themselves?

• Like Like x 2
  3. PeteH

PeteH Funster

About right, for the attitude of most L_A`s today. Stuffed with "Nimby`s" and "Jobs-worths", waiting for their "Brown envelopes". I understand, the use of the "Esplanade" for overnight pre Ferry parking is now Barred as well.?

Pete

• Like Like x 1
  4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I've no idea about the press but the local council, through the Dover Joint Transportation Board, is actually in the process of trying to find a solution to satisfy all parking needs.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Hardly surprising that some might have that attitude when they are the subject of such thoughtless insults is it?
    Closer to the truth is that LAs have to balance the needs of the population as a whole. That upsets some individuals whose wants are rejected because everyone but they can see that they are against the overall public interest but that is part of life.

• Like Like x 3
  6. PeteH

PeteH Funster

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

:reel:

nice day for fishing.. :whistle2:

8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Just the same old, worn out, record that's been played time after time Jim.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I had noticed.. :LOL:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Allanm

Allanm Funster

About time too, that certainly is good news

I understand that, but they assess needs and use regulations based on the the way the world was decades ago. Things need to change.
    With the recent news of a 50%+ increase in motorhome sales in recent years in the U.K, if L-A's thinking doesn't change, towns and cities are going to be clogged with trippers trying to park their increasing number of m/homes as close to shops/ places of interest as they can.

• Like Like x 2
  11. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

With any capital asset that requires significant investment to build/alter it is not surprising that its life is measured in decades. Motorhome ownership is increasing bu at the same time car ownership is increasing - an increase of about 600,000 last year alone, which is far more than the total number of motorhomes in the UK. That means that as well as dealing with increased demand for parking spaces from motorhome owners, councils have to deal with a larger increased demand for parking spaces for cars. Given the numbers involved it is more likely that much of the clogging up of towns and cities is likely to be caused by cars, not motorhomes.

12. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Might have to go down the , " no off road parking space ?" then you can't have a vehicle. Just like the Japanese do. Something certainly needs to be done in the Uk as most of thr southern part of the country has a slower travel speed than when I was a teenager. It is barely 2 cars away from total grid-lock most days.:(

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Of all the places to stop in the UK it beats me why anybody would chose Dover

Not used it yet but the Canterbury parking option sounds ideal, although you have to pay which might be the key maybe

I am making an assumption that most if not all are on their way to a ferry, surely a better option is to get on board and stay somewhere over in France :)

or am I missing something about Dover, some hidden secret attraction?

14. PeteH

PeteH Funster

AND. if you think that is bad. Try finding a place to do a "Tacho-Break" bad enough when I was still at it, even worse Now!. In fact I never park in Lorry bays. (but have been known to pinch an Empty Coach Bay!, Car, Caravan with "blue badge" VERY Naughty!! but I avoided having to Pee in a car park!.):whistle::whistle::whistle:

15. PeteH

PeteH Funster

I go back a Fair way. And before the Canterbury "facility" at that, we used to book the very early (Cheapest) ferry(s), Park on the esplanade Overnight and Bingo!, quick exit and onto the ferry, and "en route" to "Frogland" an Hour later, hence South for some Sun and Sangria.

Pete

16. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

East europeans just stop anywhere. Normal place is to the left of the bridge supports on the motorways. Even seen Brits doing the same lately. Most parking areas here in Germany state "no lorries 6am to 8pm" but none take any notice ,nor do they on parking in the car areas.

17. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Don' t ask me how the quote above got attributed to
    DavidG58 ??

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. TerryL

TerryL Funster

We tend to cross late afternoon and stop on the French side - Wissant if going south, Gravelines if going east - after refuelling and any stocking up we need to do at Auchan. We think it's nicer to start afresh in the morning. We have used Canterbury several times if our timings work out that way and we certainly don't begrudge the £3 it costs.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

We parked outside the Marina restaurant earlier this year, had a very pleasant meal and glasses of, rolled out into the van right by the door. Good night's sleep, beautiful morning sunrise across the harbour. Caught the ferry 2 hours early. What's bad about that?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

We parked outside the Marina restaurant earlier this year, had a very pleasant meal and glasses of, rolled out into the van right by the door. Good night's sleep, beautiful morning sunrise across the harbour. Caught the ferry 2 hours early. What's bad about that? Woops, double posting