Dover Patrol Monument

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by pjay, Aug 23, 2016.

1. pjay

pjay Funster

I have been reliably informed that there is now a 'no overnight parking' sign at the Dover Patrol Monument near St Margarets at Cliffe.

Its a shame as we used it regularly as a night stop before/after the ferry or tunnel. :(

Pete

2. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

There is a sign and it looks very official but not necessarily legal. I saw it and noted there is no order number on it. The area is private land so there is no back up to the notice other than a civil action for trespass. As you would not be there long enough for anybody to do anything, then do not worry. As far as I know the council have done nothing up there at all.
    There are still the usual foreign vans parked up so do not worry about it.
    However I MAY BE WRONG. do not sue me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Dazzlin

Dazzlin Funster Life Member

We used to use this every year but were upset that the phones came up with "welcome to France" while parked there when trying to get the last bit of UK data.

Just do Canterbury now. Further away but about the same amount of time from Dover!

4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

If the sign is on private land there won't be an order number because the council will not have been involved. In any case, order numbers are not required on signs.
    However, since the Supreme Court decision in the Beavis case, the land owner does have a right to charge a fee if people disobey his notice, though there must be details posted of what that fee would be.

• Useful Useful x 2
  5. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Someone else spoiling other peoples fun for no reason. There are no houses there, only a cafe that seems to open when it likes.
    I'd like to see the owner trying to enforce the ban on the foreign motorhomes that gather there.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Photo4x4

Photo4x4 Funster

That would be why there is now a 'No Overnight Parking' sign then! :)

KH

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Interesting...

DOVER PATROL MEMORIAL.
    HC Deb 17 April 1934 vol 288 c902W902W
    §Sir J. WITHERS
    asked the First Lord of the Admiralty whether his attention has been called to the imminent danger of the Dover Patrol Memorial on the cliffs at St. Margaret's Bay, Kent, being surrounded with buildings which would interfere with its visibility from the sea and land; and whether the Government can take any steps to protect this national memorial from such damage?

Sir B. EYRES MONSELL
    I am not aware of any such imminent danger, but in any case the Admiralty have no power to restrain the owner of the surrounding land from erecting buildings on his property. I understand, however, that the land on which the memorial stands was presented as a free gift by the owner, who further covenanted not to build or allow to be built anything whatever on the stretch of land between the memorial and the sea, so that there can be no possibility of buildings being erected on its sea side.

map http://mapservices.historicengland....nt.svc/491541/HLE_A4L_Grade|HLE_A3L_Grade.pdf

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. pjay

pjay Funster

We usually used it out of season, arriving late evening and leaving early the next day, in the main most nights have been spent up there either alone or with 1 other van max.

Went up there last August and it was rammed with (mainly) Italian and German vans (as was Canterbury P&R).

Never mind I have another up my sleeve but shan't be telling anyone where. ;)

Pete

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

By camping on private land without permission you mean? ;)
    Why should anyone assume they can use land owned by somebody else just because it suits them?

• Like Like x 2