Double skillet (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Richard If I was to order today when can I expect delivery, I ask as we will be off on our travels 19th August

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Since this thread started I have fitted an oven & a microwave which so far has rendered the hob almost redundant :LOL:

I too have (had) fitted an oven,so now don't need the double skillet but strangely keep following this thread and wist the OP all the best with the project.

OP
OP
R

richard foks

Free Member
Jan 19, 2016
lancashire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1990
Everything is in so all orders are being packed as we speak, orders are going out with Hermes so check your emails and spam folders for shipping details.
Thank you all very much

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
Look at what's just arrived (y)
20160813_122705.jpg

Lovely bit of kit, just about to load it on ready for our French trip.

Many thanks to Richard for a great product and getting it to us asap (y), best wishes on your venture.
Paul & Jax

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Skillet arrived this morning, thanks very much, efficient service.(y)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Ours arrived this morning also, so thanks for that even though the delivery driver got me out my bed when just off nightshift. That's not your fault Richard :), we will practice with it at home first.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
ordered mine at the WE and should be able to pick up this week. now I just need to learn how to cook....

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Genuine question - what does the double skillet do that other pans (or a slow cooker) can't? A slow cooker needs electric but apart from that? I have lots of sizes of pans with tight fitting lids that could be used with a diffuser so I'm wondering if a DS would do anything that these other pans don't.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Mine arrived
Impressed with the weight and thickness
Off to have a go with it

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Genuine question - what does the double skillet do that other pans (or a slow cooker) can't? A slow cooker needs electric but apart from that? I have lots of sizes of pans with tight fitting lids that could be used with a diffuser so I'm wondering if a DS would do anything that these other pans don't.

First have a look at the short film Techno copied on page two of this thread
You may have 'lots of pans with sealed lids' but the ability to cook on both sides, not use oil, plus too many other things and still only use what looks like two saucepans, must surely justify a second look.
The Double Skillet (original) really did do what the lady demonstrated as the film shows. She was at virtually every show going until her partner died and she then retired after a couple of seasons on her own, I think she just lost heart which was very sad.
For the new producer, if I may be so bold, if he (she?) could find a demonstrator to revive the product at some shows, many people who were not around during the original products time and have since joined the Motorhome fraternity, could have a chance to learn of its versatility. The demonstrator need only follow the pattern of the original film and add a little imagination to advance new potential to make a reasonable return. Alan

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I did watch the video but couldn't see the advantage over the slow cooker or my sealed pan (and that inverts - you can either have deep side down or shallow side down) and the sealed pan also works as a roasting pan. I must be missing something (apart from a brain cell or two).

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I did watch the video but couldn't see the advantage over the slow cooker or my sealed pan (and that inverts - you can either have deep side down or shallow side down) and the sealed pan also works as a roasting pan. I must be missing something (apart from a brain cell or two).
We cook the meat & potatoes in the lower pan and the veg in the upper one to produce a great roast dinner.
The two pans clipped together make an oven for warming up the Supreme Acklam Piesties, including carrots naturally, (now made to an improved recipe).

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What's your "sealed pan" like?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
What's your "sealed pan" like?

I inherited it from my Great-Grandma. The base is around 8 inches deep and the rim is a sort of "L" shape. The top is around 2 inches deep and sits in the "L". The base has "D" shape handles and the top has the same. Gran called it a "Holland" by which I think she meant "Dutch Oven". She cooked on a coal fire range and never had an oven as we would know it.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
The other thing I forgot to mention is that the DS doesn't need electricity like the slow cooker does - and we are hardly ever on EHU :)

I use the slow cooker on an invertor when travelling! Park up and the meal is ready. With the new van the slow cooker fits in the sink, the invertor plugs into the 12v kitchen socket. The max rating on it is 90W but it only uses that on the high setting. On the low setting it's much less than that.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I inherited it from my Great-Grandma. The base is around 8 inches deep and the rim is a sort of "L" shape. The top is around 2 inches deep and sits in the "L". The base has "D" shape handles and the top has the same. Gran called it a "Holland" by which I think she meant "Dutch Oven". She cooked on a coal fire range and never had an oven as we would know it.
Something like this?
9160iG09pKL._SL1500_.jpg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Very similar - but mine is much older and more battered!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
:)
How much does it weigh and would it kill you if it fell out of an over locker?:)
If you were daft enough to put it in an overhead locker in the first place you'd deserve to have it fall on your head and kill you! :rofl:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
No you're not missing anything, it is very similar to what you have but it is lighter so more suitable to a motorhome, usable as 2 separate frying pans, and one of the main points is that you can stack one on top of the other and put the lid on so you can cook a whole meal on one burner as GJH has mentioned.

The reason I sold my original DS was simply because I like my pressure cooker (which is quicker) and use a small frying pan with it for the meat etc. I have a large frying/saute pan with deep sides which I use as an 'oven' along with a circular pizza tray with holes in which as it is slightly wider sits on the rim of the pan, and on top of this I use a domed lid which is ideal for cooking pizza, bread etc, or without the tray for joints. If I want to create a 'double skillet oven', I can invert my large low sided frying pan over the top of my deep one - that way I can still heat both sides which is more suitable for cooking some items.

If I wanted to 'double stack' cook like a lot of people do then the double skillet would be ideal for this but as we didn't ours ended up being used occasionally as an oven or just one half as a frying pan as I couldn't fit both on the hob anyway. I appreciate that this new model is the smaller one but as I wouldn't use it in the way it was partly intended I might as well stick with what I have.

Brendan

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 25, 2012
Here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Ours arrived this morning also, so thanks for that even though the delivery driver got me out my bed when just off nightshift. That's not your fault Richard :), we will practice with it at home first.

Likewise.
Had just got off to sleep when the delivery driver arrived.

The joys of night shifts.
Still, 3 days off now :):):)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Being a true gastronome, we use our double skillet to cook Pizzas. They work fine if we leave one of those cooking mesh thingies at the bottom. At times we have had to be a little imaginative when fitting the Pizza in the pan, where the use of scissors or a knife was called for.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back