dorothy

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by dorothy, Jun 23, 2011.

1. dorothy

dorothy Read Only Funster

Hi I'm a new member who has owned a motorhome for 18 years but I've never used a microwave in "the wagon". Looking for suitable suggestions from you all:Smile:

2. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

You will be looking for the lowest wattage you can find, generally below 750w will be fine.

There are 12v 'ovens' you can buy, but these will cane the power on the leisure, so a normal low wattage 240 for use when hooked up will do the job.

For cooking generally in the vans' own gas oven, buy fresh, and never frozen - as it will take an age to cook!:thumb:

3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Hi dot, welcome to the fun. 18 years and only just joined what kept you,:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: hee hee. Microwaves in a mortorhome can only realistically be used when on hookup or using a generator or you will end up with flat batteries when using an inverter. The thing to watch out for is the low rating that some site have on their EHU so if you must have a microwave then a tiny 600W jobbie really is the best compromise. But to be honest it is a lot of extra weight to carry for only very occasional use.

4. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Had a microwave but removed it to save weight and space. Our gas oven however is used most days when we're away and I know a lot of people never use theirs so its down to what you want.
    A 12v microwave is effectively a mains one with an inverter, so better value to have a separate inverter which you can use for other things, and if your microwave then packs up can be replaced without replacing the expensive inverter as well.

Have found its good to use the cheapest supermarket microwave as they have a mechanical timer so you don't have to reset everything after its been disconnected. Any thing other than the smallest will trip some French mains hookups because the starting current exceeds the miserly 4amps they supply.
    :thumb:

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Welcome Dorothy. I've put a comment about microwaves on the "microwave oven for compass 120 low profile" thread.