Done anything stupid in your motorhome recently? (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Glass sink lid no more as I placed a melamine table mat in the corner of of the way,I thought.
Brought the sink cover down, smashed into a million pieces, still finding pieces 9 months later lucky it was toughened glass.
Haven't replaced it yet.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Not recently but about 3 years ago drove half way across Spain with fuel leaking out of my fuel filter. I saw it but didn't smell it and thought it was connected to the cab air conditioning.

Had people running towards me at motorway aires to warn me, but I thought they might be bandits and legged it. I thought we were using a lot of fuel...

The penny dropped when we arrived at our site in the Costa Brava. The campsite bloke showing us to our pitch saw it and smelt it and all hell broke loose.

We then had to navigate hundreds of people coming back from the beach holding their noses and pointing and telling us to stop.

Me thinking " I know it is f%$£ing leaking just get out of the f%$£ing way"

Then parked on the pitch leaving pools of diesel in the road whilst I faffed about parking with an audience of about 50 people.

Hot and embarrassed::bigsmile:

The Dutch neighbours then offered me a beer as they had been sitting with a big group enjoying the show. I gratefully accepted and muttered that we had a diesel leak to which one responded " Yes we know" which led to howls of laughter.

What a plonker:Doh:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,

Half way stop when tugging in France, we stopped for lunch in a HUGE!!! Les Routier cafe Truck park for lunch.

Got to the site to discover "We", (Guess who got the blame):Doh: discovered that we didn't have a step anymore.
Always wondered what the Patron of the Cafe thought, observing a single step on the Monday morning.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
1_man_and_his_dob(lo)
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
the 3rd trip in our new venture and I had gone and emptied the toilet cassette and guess who went in and done her business!! and guess who had to clean it up :RollEyes:::bigsmile:

Eeewww! ::bigsmile:

We took the Motorhome back to storage after a weekend away (on the Sunday afternoon)
On the way out of the hab door Ralph ( I may add) caught the Webasto knob with his sleeve. Turning it to 20deg. It was chucking it down so he put his big coat on.
The following Friday ( 6 days later ) we went to get the Motorhome for another weekend away. It was red hot inside. Having been left on all week.

I've almost done that with my Webasto a couple of times.

did fall out of bed once rolled over and then realised I was in the over head bunk though to my shelf as I was falling this is going to hurt it did :cry: dislocated my shoulder:Eeek: still hurts to this day

Ouch!!! That's definately worthy of a sympathy 'like' :Eeek:

Ah well....at least we can all look back on our mishaps and see the funny side....I think :RollEyes:

Today's task - try and remove melted plasic from a flame spreader and hope it's still usable. I don't think there's much chance of me getting a replacement any time soon if other threads regarding double skillet orders are anything to go by :Mellow:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I keep forgetting to pull the step in - I drive hundreds of miles with it out!!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I put a couple of those crystal based moisture traps in the MH over the winter, they worked really well, both full of water by the time we were getting ready for our first trip of the year.

I found this out when I took it to fill up with diesel and forgot to move them first - the first corner emptied one of them all over the sofa and floor :Doh::Doh::Doh:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
One hot summers day on the aire at Brantome we decided to shower in van-Carolyn went first then while she was drying off I had my shower.
Came out of shower to find a smell of gas in van:Eeek:
We opened windows and got out-towels round us ::bigsmile:
I turned gas off and after few mins went back into van-it was clear,so I turned gas back on-again the smell of gas-checked all the hobs on cooker,all off.
Asked a French guy in next van where we might find a Motorhome service place locally,he said there was on just up rd-but could he have a look first?.
He got into van,I turned gas on and he sniffed around and suddenly opened the oven-that's where gas was coming from:thumb:

The knob for the oven doesn't need to be pushed in like all the others and we reckoned that while Carolyn was towelling herself in the kitchen area the towel had turned the oven on :ROFLMAO:
We are extra carefull now !!

Mike

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Today's task - try and remove melted plasic from a flame spreader and hope it's still usable. I don't think there's much chance of me getting a replacement any time soon if other threads regarding double skillet orders are anything to go by :Mellow:

With a bit of luck most should chip off, then heat it up again to remove the rest when it softens - but don't use your bare hands ::bigsmile:

Melchior

Free Member
Jun 26, 2013
Amstelveen, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since August 2012
There are some corkers in this thread!

Amazed that a Webasto was left on all week, what do they run on??
Also amazed that the oven doesn't need the knob to be pushed in to provide gas, that is a scary one but as long as you know about it...

Haven't had many yet but the one I have was very very annoying. Outside our house are three parking spaces, one in front of ours, one between us and next door and one in front of next door. The spaces do not belong to anyone but generally of course people park outside their own house. We have one car, next door have two so they use the two spaces on 'their' side and I use the one at the front of our house. When I collect the motorhome, usually I'm able to park it in 'our' space.

Got back from the storage one time to find only the middle space was free. No problem, back her in to normal position and forget completely that there is a fence post .... CRACK. Previously immaculate 13 year old motorhome now has cracked rear bumper. LOTS of swearing but I'm over it now :roflmto:

Miss M also keeps sitting upright in bed. We sleep in the overcab bed. :ROFLMAO:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Stopped at the Auchan in Coquelles last year on the way home and a fellow motorhomer told me that I stowed my awning winder in an unusual place, you guessed, hanging off the awning!

OP
OP
1_man_and_his_dob(lo)
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
With a bit of luck most should chip off, then heat it up again to remove the rest when it softens

I was hoping to peel it all off, but there's now a random pattern of plastic splodges that won't come off with a plastic pan scrubber and I'm not sure using anything harder is a good idea in case I damage the surface and it ends up rusting (assuming it's made of iron).

So a bit more chipping/scratching, then I think I'll have to melt/burn the rest off over time - some of it has gone in the hollow section between the top/bottom plates so that's not going to be quick :Doh:

but don't use your bare hands ::bigsmile:

How stupid do you think I am? Obviously I can wipe it on the groundsheet once it's nice and hot - that should do the trick ::bigsmile:

Another Lesley

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
North East
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Himself told me he couldn't turn the gas on at the tank. After trying several times and after I had at it with a stilsons wrench and large hammer found out it was already on from when he used it the day before. Then of course it would not turn off! :Doh:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Our toilet cassette is the kind you push down to flush. One morning having my shower folded my clothes and towels on to pod the loo, finish the shower get out to get dried hear a strange sound just as Eddie comes back in and realises that the weight of my clothes and towels had depressed the flusher and the loo was about to overflow with the water been constantly pumped through. :Eeek:

Another daft thing though I did not realise until it happened guiding Eddie up on to the levelling blocks waving my hands when the bl***dy things shot out at 50mile a hour, hitting me on my ankle, won't make that mistake again.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Greetings,

Half way stop when tugging in France, we stopped for lunch in a HUGE!!! Les Routier cafe Truck park for lunch.

Got to the site to discover "We", (Guess who got the blame):Doh: discovered that we didn't have a step anymore.
Always wondered what the Patron of the Cafe thought, observing a single step on the Monday morning.

We've left 2 steps in France somewhere! ::bigsmile:

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Himself told me he couldn't turn the gas on at the tank. After trying several times and after I had at it with a stilsons wrench and large hammer found out it was already on from when he used it the day before. Then of course it would not turn off! :Doh:
A marine engineer friend taught me a valuable lesson at a very early age. Drilled into him because of steam pipes, where a mistake would be very nasty.

When turning an in-line tap on, turn it on fully, then back it off a quarter turn. That way it doesn't stick in the fully open position, which you then can't tell from fully closed. When backed off, it will always have some movement in it, which ever way you turn it.

Even if it does stick in the partly open position, you can apply force in either direction & you won't be against the stop.

I've never worked with steam, but have done that with taps in water & gas pipes ever since.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Shortly after we had got our first van.........excuse number one::bigsmile: We had parked up desperate for a cuppa, however, in our endless attempts (Bill's endless attempts:Doh:) to stop rattles, he'd packed the oven shelf with bubblewrap. Not a problem you might think, but he'd switched on the oven instead of a ring on the hob which set fire to the bubblewrap inside the oven:Doh:

Fortunately we were quick to spot it. Will never do this again......:Blush:

Last edited:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Our toilet cassette is the kind you push down to flush. One morning having my shower folded my clothes and towels on to pod the loo, finish the shower get out to get dried hear a strange sound just as Eddie comes back in and realises that the weight of my clothes and towels had depressed the flusher and the loo was about to overflow with the water been constantly pumped through. :Eeek:

Another daft thing though I did not realise until it happened guiding Eddie up on to the levelling blocks waving my hands when the bl***dy things shot out at 50mile a hour, hitting me on my ankle, won't make that mistake again.

Ouch!:Doh:

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
This happen in the seventies, had just brought a new ford CI Landliner and decided on a trip to Scotland for the inaugural trip, travelling through Carlisle in heavy traffic I realise that we didn't have a water hose to fill the internal water tank,
So I said to the missus nip out why we are moving very slowly and buy a hose at a woolworths just ahead of us,
Mission accomplished she was back with a hose in no time and we continued north, our Scottish friends suggested a camp site at port Augustus just out of town not realising it was caravans only at that time,
Well we pulled on to the site late at night and fell asleep,
Next morning we are getting a very cool reception from the fellow campers so decide to leave quickly ,
So we pulled up to the only water tap to fill our tank, unreeled the new hose and turned on the tap,

she had only brought a sprinkler hose can you believe! :Eeek:

So between me and the MH erupted water jets in every directions much to the enjoyment of the Tuggers, you have never seen a hose reeled up so quick and a fast departure to hide our embarrassment ,:cry:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I!!! can quite honestly say!!!!!:Doh: That My Darling!!!! Mrs R!!!! Has never!!! ever!!!!! ever!!! made such a feux paux EVER!!!

and if you think I'm going to risk the safety of the family reproduction thingees by telling you otherwise!!!!

Tuff titty Kitty!!!!:ROFLMAO:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We've left 2 steps in France somewhere! ::bigsmile:

I wouldn't mind but it's not as if it one of the tiny Fiammi ones.

This was one of those grey ones that come with a Bailey that are as big as a Bread Tray:Doh:

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
I'm beginning to think there is a step orphanage in France judging by all the steps left behind. What has happened to all the abandoned steps? They must be missing their owners terribly or do you think they get adopted by another loving home (only to be abandoned yet again) :cry:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
A marine engineer friend taught me a valuable lesson at a very early age. Drilled into him because of steam pipes, where a mistake would be very nasty.

When turning an in-line tap on, turn it on fully, then back it off a quarter turn. That way it doesn't stick in the fully open position, which you then can't tell from fully closed. When backed off, it will always have some movement in it, which ever way you turn it.

Even if it does stick in the partly open position, you can apply force in either direction & you won't be against the stop.

I've never worked with steam, but have done that with taps in water & gas pipes ever since.

Old habits die hard - still do that even after being 30 years away from the sea:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back