Dometic/ Seitz Roof light- Repairing cracked "perspex" (1 Viewer)

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Has anyone had any luck with repairing this plastic material?
I have tried ABS and PVC plumbers glues and neither seem to melt the plastic, could it be polycarbonate, how would I know?
Someone must have done this before me?
Tnx for reading
Mike & Ann

inkey2019

Free Member
May 31, 2019
Faversham
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747 active
Exp
since 2003
I would go down the replacement route. Never seen a good plastic repair.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
If it's cracked because it's going yellowed and brittle from sun damage, you're probably fighting a losing battle.

OP
OP
Mike800966
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Its quite a big roof vent which has cracked from the corner to the skirt edge, the deep shape will be what gives it strength
I am sure it cracked at some time because of the wind getting under it and opening it suddenly.
Ever since it happened I use a restrainer bungee so that we can safely have it open to the first notch when going along in very hot weather. Its not suffering from UV damage.
Been researching Acrylic solvents but as I say the solvents that I have to hand dont seem to soften it and thats what you need to weld it, a bit like polystryrene model cement.

Keep thinking- but a new one is almost £200 and there has got to be a cheaper way.
I the meantime its shut and no harm can come to it but thanks for the suggestions

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mike800966
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Thats some very clever stuff, especially the way you can make a mould of a broken part and then recreate it
Many thanks for the interesting link.

Since found out that dometic data sheet says its acrylic and there are several glues around for a tenner which say they will mend that material.
As I say its not coming to any harm as long as the roof light stays shut
Will report back in due course

Mike

inkey2019

Free Member
May 31, 2019
Faversham
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747 active
Exp
since 2003
Have you tried a UV stable clear tape. I have used them in the past and they stay put and don't yellow.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back