Free Member
Oct 5, 2013
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance i810g
Exp
I'm a Newbie
I've had a quick search for "Dometic Fridge" threads, but can't find anything which is similar to my issue...

Picked up the van a week ago. Just before leaving there was an issue with the fridge not switching on, which appeared to be fixed before I left. However, since then the fridge (Dometic 8 series) has been playing up. For example: shouldn't it be able to be switched off? I've followed the instructions in the manual, pressed the (I) button for 3 seconds and the light goes off, everything is fine...then it goes straight back on again. The problem with this is that it's either going to drain my gas keg or drain my batteries. I've tried to find the relevant fuse, but of course the fusebox is in German! There is a 15A fuse for "AES" which I assume is the fridge (it is also marked "Kuhlschrank which apparently is German for "Refrigerator"), but removing this has absolutely no effect. Also, there is a "clicking" sound from the fridge vent on the outside of the van which may be the fridge trying to switch to gas? Since I've isolated the gas supply it then seems to be trying to switch to 12v? The van's in storage and I forgot to take a pic before I left, but I can pop back if that would be of any help?

How can the fridge work with the fuse removed? Have I got it all wrong about how it should work?How can I stop this machinery from mocking my every attempt to shut it down? Am I going mad?

And Yes, it is bugging me! I'll contact the dealer tomorrow, but I'm guessing that someone somewhere on this forum will probably have the answer (even if it's "take it to the dealer")!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I can confirm that a long press of the power button turns it on and off. It should not turn itself back on.
EDIT
The 15 amp fuse will be for the 12 volt element. There should be a much smaller 12 volt control circuit fuse. On my Rapido this is only 3 amps

The control circuit is the one you need to find. This will stop it trying to switch to gas until you get it repaired.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
If it is an AES model I would have expected there to be control to set to all different power options, or AES or off, mine does anyway

no idea why it works without a fuse, but modification by previous owner would be my first guess / concern (y)

edit ignore my reply, go with Andy :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WinnieBago

WinnieBago

Free Member
Oct 5, 2013
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance i810g
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Thanks Andy - I'll have a look on Wednesday when I can get back out to it. I took it for a run earlier to charge up the batteries so it should be ok until then. I'll brush up on my German in the meantime for the search for the 3A fuse :confused:

David - I've tried setting to Gas only, battery only & AES (I haven't been able to get it hooked up to the mains yet - that was the plan for today until the Diesel cap broke when I was filling up :mad:). On each setting it seems to be "restarting" (each setting has its own button which lights up when selected - the buttons light up in sequence from left to right and then go off from right to left, all within about 1.5 secs) accompanied by a beep. I'm guessing that there shouldn't be a beep every time the fridge needs power, be it from gas or battery - surely it would be like a domestic fridge and just do what it needs to do without announcing it to the world? All of which makes it sound like something is wrong with on/off function.

Once I know I can switch it off then I can switch it on in earnest to make sure it actually works without being frightened of draining gas and/or batteries completely :LOL:

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Can I suggest persevering with the long hold, they do sometimes take a bit of turning off, if the first 5 seconds or so doesnt do, step away give it a minute then try again.

The control with the escalating green lights sounds like the temperature one to me. the power/ mode selection is the other one.

Its not a great system though. I find a lot of modern equipment is wanting for simple controls - I blame the nerds!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Seeing all the problems with the automatic fridge I'm so glad I have a manual one. Uses to think an automatic would be great, not now! Good luck sorting it

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I'll brush up on my German in the meantime for the search for the 3A fuse
It is 3 amp on my Rapido with a CBE distribution unit. You don't say what electrics you have and it may be different.
Easiest way is to pull one fuse at a time until the lights go out.

EDIT as you say German I'll assume you have a Schaudt unit? try the 2 amp fuse near the 15 amp you identified.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back