Dometic fridge freezer

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Andy 700, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Andy 700

Andy 700 Read Only Funster

Hi all,
    we're currently travelling East through Northern Spain and after setting the fridge to 12v for a leg of our journey forgot to turn it back to gas, doh. After several hours away from the van, realised mistake and re set to gas opperation. Batteries were fine but since the fridge has got warmer and warmer. The freezer is still a little cold but looks like we're going to have to throw or eat the lot. Any ideas people?

2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

If it was working on 12v but is not now it is on gas this narrows down the cause I think. The gas burner might be choked with carbon so you need to get at the back of the fridge and try and clean it out - it may need nothing more than a good blow. On our fridge there is a gauge with a needle which moves into the green when the gas is lit. Do you have one of these and if so what is it doing?

3. icantremember

icantremember Funster

How about an instant Fun meet with you supplying the grub!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Andy 700

Will have a look at the gas burner in a moment and see about a build of of carbon and get back to you. Thanks for the quick response.

5. Andy 700

Devon beekeeper, forgot to mention , we don't have a gauge.

6. Andy 700

Icantremember, sounds like a good idea, just one snag, warm beer........yuk

• Like Like x 1
  7. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Interesting, how do you know the gas is lit or is it all automatic? If so the ignition system may be another cause.

8. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Our fridge is a Thetford and it has a viewing flap in the chimney which is accessible by removing the lower externl vent cover ... yours being Dometic may be different but I'm sure there is a way of viewing the flame to check if it's burning cleanly.

Just a thought, is your regulator ok and do you run the fridge on Autogas from a bulk tank?

9. Andy 700

Gas is lit, automatic ignition and you can see the flame when vent removed, also combustion chamber and pipes hot. I have given the ignition area a good 'mk 1' lungful of high speed air and was repayed with a cloud of dead flies and rust. Will wait 5 mins and see if there is any breakthrough.

10. Andy 700

Running fridge on auto gas at the moment although I do have a propane cylinder for emengency use. Cooker is run on same supply and working fine.

11. icantremember

icantremember Funster

If the fridge has warmed-up due to being turned off for some time then it will ofcourse take a few hours to cool down to working temperature.

12. Andy 700

Fridge warming up not cooling down. Fridge was left off 48 hrs ago and been getting warmer since. Freezer fairing a little better but obviously colder to start with.

13. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I understand from my service engineer that auto gas can be slightly oily and Dometic fridges are particularly susceptible to sooting up the gas jet .... so if it's not cooled down sometime soon worth checking the flame is burning cleanly (should be blue) and clearing the jet. Don't poke anything through the jet as they are very fine and easily damaged.

14. flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken Funster Life Member

Have you tried simply turn fridge off completely wait a few mins select gas and turn back on again, as you changed over the working manually and may have upset the automatic selector??????? just a thought Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

15. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Can you get it on to ELH for a while to ensure the fridge is ok and the themostat or thermistor is functioning?

16. jezport

jezport Funster

Exact symptoms of a blocked jet. There are instructions on a thread somewhere on the forum, on how to clean it.

17. Andy 700

I think if the pilot is lit then this shouldn't be an issue, but willing to give it a try once I've seen if the improvised air cleaning technique has worked. Thanks Garry

• Like Like x 1