Dogs on Euro Tunnel

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by geoff1947, Apr 26, 2012.

1. geoff1947

geoff1947 Read Only Funster

CC informed me that as of today E /T will charge £15 each way for a dog. Are the ferries following suit???:Eeek:

2. stagman

stagman Deleted User

Eurotunel have been charging this for at least the last 4yrs .:thumb:

3. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Talk about "rip-off Britain"!!! It's any excuse now to get money out of us poor folks, to charge £15 for a dog is disgraceful:Eek!:

Haven't heard anything about this, but sadly we no longer have our beloved Border Collie:Sad:
    Margaret

4. Xabia

Xabia Funster

It has always been free UK to France as no checking of the Pet Passport is required, and £30on the return trip when the check is required.

We always use the tunnel as the dog stays in the motorhome with us and it is such a quick and efficient service.:Smile:

5. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

As previous posts - Tunnel £30 for the return trip :RollEyes:

The ferries charge as well Britanny Ferriw for instance :
    £16.50 (UK to France) & £24.75 (France to UK)
    • £29.50 (UK to Spain) & £39.50 (Spain to UK)

6. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

it's also 15 each way for a ferret in ET,

don't ask.....

• Like Like x 1
  7. Xabia

Xabia Funster

I stand corrected - not unusual!

Checked the Eurotunnel site this evening and indeed they have suddenly changed the charge from £30 on the return trip to £15 each way.

So, if you are feeling naughty and booking a single out and a single back you could 'forget' about the dog on the way out? Not that I would ever do that of course.:Smile:

8. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

It's not really a rip off as they have to employ staff to check the microchip and paperwork on the way back. Not bad value really.

9. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

Eh? It takes 2 minutes. It is deffo a rip off! :Angry: She's not even allowed out of the van on the ferry. :Angry:

Ivy

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Seems like it's a captive market and they charge accordingly. Only ever done it once as ours on are one way tickets. To me the ET charges we're only part of the story, the whole thing is just too expensive ! rabies jab, rabies blood test (every 12 months), vet check, tunnel/ferry etc it starts to get very expensive but then again so are kennels I suppose.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Xabia

Xabia Funster

Don't see how it can be described as a rip off. At Eurotunnel they have a purpose built unit with parking outside that has to be manned 24/7. There are usually at least two people in the office so on an 8 hour shift basis they have to employ 6 people every 24 hours. At £30 a time I can't see that they make much money on this one.

I am quite happy to pay the £30, much better than when you couldn't take your dog at all, cheaper than kennels and better to have your dog with you than leave him/her behind.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

If you think this is bad have a look at the price for flying a dog, me sitting in a seat with a meal on BA return to europe £150, dog in a box in the hold £350, now thats what I call unfair

Dave still afloat in Rugby:helptitanic:

• Like Like x 1
  13. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

always paid £30 return

£30 has been charged return (£15 each way) by euro tunnel for years and years.. this is not a new charge.

Bob:Blush:

14. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

it is to cover the costs of checking the passport

Euro Tunnel have a dedicated pet passport office at the tunnel on the French side that you have to go to and have the pet scanned and the passport checked before you can proceed to check in.

There is also an exercise area which is enclosed... UK side it is a bit of grass and a tree.. do not get anything for the money in the UK.. but you do in France and that is why there is a charge...

stayed the same for years and years.

Bob

15. Loujess

It still could be done electronically. All you would need is an extending microchip reader and the pet passport could be electronically checked too. :BigGrin:

Ivy

16. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Biometric petpassport:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Loujess

Indeed - and if somebody is suggesting that I would rather leave Ellie behind than pay the £30, they are up the creek. Wherever we go, Ellie comes with us. Leave her behind? Perish the thought! :Laughing:

Ivy

• Like Like x 1
  18. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Seems like a good idea on the surface of it, however, no doubt " Health and Safety" wouldn't allow it..........your Rottie attacked one of our staff:Wink:
    Read all the reasons for charging, but hey ho, it sounds like just another excuse to extract money out of anyone travelling abroad these days:Blush:
    Just as well we can keep our python concealed in the overhead cab:Wink:

• Like Like x 3
  19. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Wow--that is expensive--do yours really have to have a blood test every year?
    Although I live in France I always get vaccinations done in UK as rabies then lasts 3 years. Mine all had their blood tests after 1st jab but no longer necessary.
    Will ferries & ET still charge for cats when they don't need the tapeworm treatment (I'm told) ?
    I travel with 4 so tunnel or ferry, it's never cheap. Currently a rainy day in Gironde (again!!!) Dogs and cats all curled up asleep in m/home.

20. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Oops just been corrected by she who takes care of these things:Doh:

Same process as you describe, jab every 3yrs and blood test once at the beginning assuming that you have the jab within a 24hr window of the 3yrs date.

OK gotta to find another way to save money:Laughing:

We've only travelled our cats and dogs through once but have taken many other animals through without charge. Fish, Rabbits, Guinea pigs, always declared but no special paperwork. Have to say that the time we did do I was impressed with the process, seemed slick at least