Dog Vacinations

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by bailey, Nov 26, 2012.

1. bailey

bailey

Just had a Kennel Cough Vac for my year old Irish Setter and in the next 2 days he has high fever/Temp/cough and sore throat and of his food back to the vet and he claims that its an infection and has given him Antibiotics Could this be a reaction to the Vac Jag has anyone came across this

Thanks

2. lesleyjean

lesleyjean Funster

• Like Like x 1
  3. Roryboys Dad

Roryboys Dad Read Only Funster

I'm not a Vet but there are many reports on the internet of 'mild' side effects from the vaccine that usually go within a few days and don't need the attention of a Vet.

If your Vet didn't tell you that information then consider changing your Vet as he's charging you for antibiotics you probably don't need.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/allergic-reaction-to-vaccines-in-dogs/page1.aspx

4. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

As with any vaccine it takes time to build up the antibodies. What I'm getting at is in two days it will not yet be providing any protection.
    The kennel cough vaccine Meg has is squirted up the nose.

5. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

Our 2 Pugs are done each year the same way, they dont like it but no after effects.

6. bailey

bailey

My dog had the same drops up his nose it wasent a jag just back from the Vet he did say that there was a possibility that it was a reaction but more than lickly he has picked up an infection as he has swolen Tonsils

7. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

more likely mild case of kennel cough, as the vaccine is based on a live culture but weakened. normally this stimulates the dogs immune system to make appropriate antibodies to catching it again

have had a fair few dogs react over the years to this innoculation, as we used to run the local area breed rescue for our breed. boarding kennels wont take in dogs that arent vaccinated for obvious reasons.

if you can manage to put up with the smell, try diffusing eucalyptus and menthol oils in the area where the dog rest. either a plug in type diffuser or put a few drops of the oil on a saucer on a nearby radiator. it helps clear their airways and calms them down.

8. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

There is a cough going about again this year. A variation on the kennel cough. I know that last year it did not seem to relate to if they had been vaccinated or not. Healthy dogs just got over it without treatment. Symptoms were a hacking cough, bile/phlegm being up and off their food. The worst of the coughing lasted a few days and the dogs looked very sad and were very tired :-( Jane