Dog proofing

Discussion in 'Top Tips & Tricks' started by gordoncbrown, Aug 17, 2015.

1. gordoncbrown

gordoncbrown Funster

We have always tucked throws in over our sofa seats. Never had a problem. However we are just back from a 17 night trip, mainly in Ireland, and our border collie ,Meg, has decided that it would be a good game at night to take the throws off of the seats and put them together on the floor. In the morning we find her curled up on one of the sofas. Any suggestions on how to secure the throws or what do other people do? TIA

2. Speve

Speve Funster

We have a set of loose covers then cover them with throws so if the throws come off there is still protection with the covers.

3. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Forget it. She'll just treat it as a challenge. Far less effort to just give the sofas a good clean when you get home.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

Do you think she has taken a dislike to the throws themselves - too fleecy/furry/slippery /wrong colour etc ? Is it worth trying a throw in a different fabric and see if she accepts that ?

I made loose covers for our van by the " wrapping a parcel" method; dead easy and little actual cutting out. I do have a sewing machine however. Could you tuck the throws securely and then use kilt pins or- if you can still get them- nappy pins, to hold them all together on the cushions ?

5. Leltel

Leltel Funster

I brought fitted cot bed sheets to put on ours, works a treat, look on eBay for colourful ones

• Like Like x 3
  6. jdk62

jdk62 Funster

We have a retriever and he is welcome to any bit of floor space, but never allowed on the sofas.

• Like Like x 2
  7. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

Are you able to slide a quilt cover over the sofa seats. You could put them under the throws and if they're pulled off, the quilt will still be on for you. Just a thought :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Ditto. I bought a few duvet covers from charity shops, either double or king size, depending on seat sizes. Put back cushion and seat inside. Can put a throw over the top if you're posh and like matching seats!

• Like Like x 1
  9. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

Can't you chain the dog up outside?

:giggler:

• Like Like x 3
  10. JJ

JJ Funster

I have a "dog proofed" Hymer...

It came with door that can be shut.

JJ :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  11. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Ours sleep in the "garage" at night
    I replaced the interconnecting door with a heavy mess grill that slides open
    No "garage" on our first van so we used a folding cage

• Like Like x 1
  12. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Mine sleeps under the table. Definitely not allowed on the seats. Maybe get some collapsable boxes and place them on seats at night so there is no room left for the dog to jump up. If its smart it wont be long getting the message.

• Like Like x 2
  13. PP Bear

Don't have a dog myself, it just wouldn't fit in with my still serving as a single officer. I will one day, once I've done my bit for queen and country and don't have the commitments any longer :clap2:

I do on occasions however, take my favouritest dog with me. She's a fantastic Labrador and we're such good pals. Always use old fitted sheets to cover the sofas and chair :BigGrin:

She's such good company to have around and loves me to bits. Ops I'm getting soppy :getmecoat:
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  14. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

I bought some fabric off ebay, it's semi waterproof, designed for making outdoor seat covers. Nige then made two covers for our front bench area(changed the foam too, used cot mattresses from Ikea as good size fit). The original seats are stored in the house. The bench is the dogs sleeping area but have tried sitting on it and comfortable enough, but much easier to move for access to storage than origins covers and no need to worry about mess. When not using the van we bring them in the garden and our chocolate lab loves laying out on her garden bench with one too :) WP_20150716_007.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

Awe she's a real cutie, how do you ever manage to give her back?

16. PP Bear

It was difficult that's for sure, but her mum was another officer so the dog would spend the entire day at my feet and then away with me whenever we could :)

While her mum was expecting their second baby, I'd walk the dog every day too. They then moved to another camp on posting. Her mum said the dog laid in the downstairs toilet for 2 whole days and wouldn't come out. Think the dog missed me too :)

• Like Like x 4
  17. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

Awe I'm sure you will meet many more, our eldest two used to go to work with Nige before he retired, Biskit used to potter off and pick a new friend on every posting, would then just ignore Nige most of the day :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    You have a Border Collie,Irnbru appears to have one,and says."If it's smart" It is not hard to be smarter than me,so it may come as no surprise to you all,we are on our Third Border Collie,as it trains ME! So,no stress,just fit in with what they do_Our old girl is "Leaking wee"if surprised at times,and has by her own choice,stopped coming up on the settee and also not getting up on the bed at night when i am asleep and trying to push me off.
    What it is trying to tell you,is that you would be better off,moving the TV,to where you can see it from the cab seats,problem solved. Do get the most out of your pet,we rescued this one as we are to old to have a puppy,when this one goes.............
    Tea Bag

• Like Like x 1
  19. Scattycat

Scattycat Funster

I don't know if you can buy something similar in the UK but over here there is a product you can buy that you spray over the furniture and it is supposed to stop animals climbing on it.
    Then put a throw or similar on the floor so the dog can sleep there

• Like Like x 1
  20. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

Check the contents first: you're all sleeping in a small space, possibly on the seats you've sprayed. I'd want to check there is nothing harmful in the spray before breathing it in all night. It was presumably designed for use in bigger rooms to keep dogs off sofas and chairs.

• Like Like x 1